• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

In The Case for Democracy I tried to show how the free world has a unique weapon in its hands: freedom itself.

Defending Identity by Natan Sharansky

Guess.

There are some fields near Manchester, well known to the inhabitants as 'Green Heys Fields,' through which runs a public footpath to a little village about two miles distant.
-
Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell

My father's family name being Pirrip, and my christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip.
-
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

1801 - I have just returned from a visit to my landlord - the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
-
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

"I never will marry, I'll be no man's wife.
I intend to stay single for the rest of my life."
Nineteenth-Century Irish Ballad

"One minute it was Ohio winter, with doors closed, windows locked, the panes blind with frost, icicles fringering every roof, children skiing on slopes, housewives lumbering like great black bears in their furs along the icy streets."

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

"On the starboard beam the shoreline just three miles away was a gleaming band of sand shimmering in the heat."

Ramage's Signal by Dudley Pope

A rooftop billboard cast a flickering blue light through the studio windows. The light ricocheted off glass and stainless steel: an empty crystal bud vase rimed with dust, a pencil sharpener, a microwave oven, peanut-butter jars filled with drawing pencils, paintbrushes and crayons. An ashtray full of pennies and paper clips. Jars of poster paint. Knives.
A stereo was dimly visible as a collection of rectangular silhouettes on the window ledge. A digital clock punched red electronic minutes into silence.
The maddog waited in the dark.

Rules of Prey The first book in the "Prey" series of novels by John Sandford.

And before you ask, yes I've got all 18 prey so far.!:eek: :lol:

Ray Cuervo sat in his office and counted his money. He counted his money every Friday afternoon between five and six o'clock. He made no secret of it.
Cuervo owned six apartment buildings scattered around Indian Country south of the Minneapolis Loop. The cheapest apartment rented for thirty-nine dollars a week. The most expensive was seventy-five. When he collected his rent, Cuervo took neither checks nor excuses. If you didn't have the cash by two o'clock Friday, you slept on the sidewalk. Bidness, as Ray Cuervo told any number of broken-ass indigents, was bidness.

Chapter 1 of Shadow Prey (book two of Prey series)

And you know?, Cuervo's just GOING to meet a very nasty sticky end... here's hoping!:lol::lol:

"Ramage lowered the copy of the Morning Post and listened."

Ramage & The Renegades by Dudley Pope

"I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974."

MIDDLESEX by Jefffey Eugenides

"To say the truth, it was not how I expected-stepping off toward American past a drowned horse."

Dancing at the Rascle Fair by Ivan Doig

SNOW TESTED HIS regulator, checked both air valves, ran his hands along the slick neoprene of the suit. Everything was in order, just as it had been when he last checked it, sixty seconds before.

"Another five minutes," the Dive Sergeant said, cutting the launch to half speed.

"Great," came the sarcastic voice of Fernandez over the sound of the big diesel. "Just great."

Nobody else spoke. Already, Snow had noticed that small talk seemed to die away when the team neared a site.

He looked back over the stern, watching the froth of the Harlem River spread out behind the propeller in a brown wedge. The river was wide here, rolling sluggishly under the hot gray haze of the August morning. He turned his gaze toward the shore, grimacing slightly as the rubber cowl pulled at the skin of his neck. Towering apartment buildings with broken windows. Ghostly shells of warehouses and factories. An abandoned playground. No, not quite abandoned: one child, swinging from a rusty frame.

"Hey, divemaster," Fernandez's voice called to him. "Be sure you got your training diapers on."

Snow tugged at the ends of his gloves and continued looking toward the shore.

"Last time we let a virgin out on a dive like this," Fernandez continued, "he shit his suit. Christ, what a mess. We made him sit on the transom all the way back to base. And that was off Liberty Island, too. A frigging cakewalk compared to the Cloaca."

"Fernandez, shut up," the Sergeant said mildly.

Part One Chapter 1 of Reliquary sequel to relic, by Douglas Preston and Linclon Child

A man with binoculars. That is how it began: with a man standing by the side of the road, on a crest overlooking a small Arizona town, on a winter night.

-- Michael Crichton, The Andromeda Strain

"Kevin is fine," Miss Lattimore, their fifth grade teacher told them. "Just fine. He's had a bit of brain damage, that's all."

EYE CONTACT by Cammie McGovern

It crept up out of Mexico, touching first along the brackish Pecos and spreading then in all directions, a cancerous blight burning a scar upon the land.

The Time it Never Rained by Elmer Kelton

Back