• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

"When the day that you happen to know is Wednesday starts off sounding like Sunday,there is something seriously wrong somewhere."

The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham

It was on the fifteenth of June, 1767, that Cosimo Piovasco di Rondo, my brother, sat amoung us for the last time.

The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino

Sometimes when you work in advertising you'll get a product that's really garbage and you have to make it seem fantastic, something that is essential to the continued quality of life.

-Dry, Augustine Burroughs

I know how much this story might upset people,how much distress and confusion it could cause.

Pig Tales A Novel of Lust and Transformation-Marie Darrieusseeq

'The first thing I noticed was the clarity of the air, and then the sharp green colour of the land.'

- The House On The Strand by Daphne Du Maurier

On a Spring afternoon in 19__ , a year that for months glowered threateningly over our continent, Gustav Aschenbach -- or von Aschenbach, as he had been known officially since his fiftieth birthday -- set off alone from his dwelling in Prinzregentenstrasse in Munich on a rather long walk.

Death in Venice - Thomas Mann

3 May. Bistritz.- Left Munich at 8:35 p.m., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; sholud have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.

Like many of us, I think, my father spent the measure of his life piecing together a story he would never understand.

-The Rule of Four - Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason.

While still a child, I guessed that this very singular smile represented a strange little victory for each of the women: yes, a fleeting revenge for disappointed hopes, for the coarseness of men, for the rareness of beautiful and true things in this world.

Dreams of My Russian Summers by Andrei Makine

While still a child, I guessed that this very singular smile represented a strange little victory for each of the women: yes, a fleeting revenge for disappointed hopes, for the coarseness of men, for the rareness of beautiful and true things in this world.

Dreams of My Russian Summers by Andrei Makine

Let me know how this one is Robert,it's on my "to buy" list.

Let me begin by quoting something General George Marshall said: "Don't fight the problem."

America and the World by Zbigniew Brzezinski and Brent Scowcroft.

Nora stepped out of the Rolls Royce, feeling uncomfortably conspicuous. Pendergast closed the door behind her, looking serenely indifferent to the incongruity of the elegant vehicle parked amidst the dust and noise of a large construction site.

They crossed the street, pausing at a high chain link fence. Beyond, the rich afternoon light illuminated the skeletal foundations of a row of old buildings. Several large dumpsters full of bricks lined the perimeter. Two police cars were parked along the curb and Nora could see uniformed cops standing before a hole in a brick retaining wall. Nearby stood a knot of businessmen in suits. The construction site was framed by forlorn tenements that winked back at them through empty windows.

Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

Where the wagons stopped we built our homes, making the cabins tight against the winter's coming.

Bendigo Shafter by Louis L'Amour

On the pleasant shore of the French Riviera, about half way between Marseilles and the Italian border, stands a large, proud, rose-colored hotel.

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

All winter long I held them cattle up on the plateau whilst pa collected my wages down to town.

The Proving Trail by Louis L'Amour

Back