• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Guitarist Thread

Mike123

kickbox
Didn't see one here and the "Do you play instruments?" thread showed that there seemed to be plenty of guitar players here.

If you don't play guitar you can pretend you do and humour me =/

So what type of guitars do you have?

I have a Shine Stratocaster
A Santa Ana Semi Acoustic
and a KCC Acoustic

A Washburn acoustic (that probably should be retired, but I've decided to play it until it literally falls apart) and an Epiphone 335. I love the Epiphone; plug it in, hit the distortion and you get the sweetest controlled feedback...

Black and white Arianna electric.

I can't remember the brand of my first guitar because I purchased it out of a JCPenny's catalog years ago. lol

Mega cheap Epiphone SG copy - whack it through enough fx it sounds OK. Well it does anyway - think it's the feel more than anything.

I just got a used sunburst Epiphone Hummingbird. Sounds great. Looks great. Plays great. Great deal. I couldn't be happier.

So what skills are you guys currently working on?

I've been fine tuning my finger picking lately. I want to work on pinch harmonics, arpeggios, or sweeps soon.

I play a Jackson DKMG Dinky.Its a pretty extreme guitar good for metal, but if drop the tremolo in it I can make it play really clean flaminco or classical.Kinda has muddy humbuckers though, so sometimes pinch harmonics dont squeal very well.Once i get enough money ill buy a Ibanez xiphos, but that might not ever happen. Ive been playing for awhile so i got sweeps and such down. I used to practice playing Necropaghist(death metal with alot of sweeps) songs. Now im trying to get down fast string skipping formations. I go to SHRED ACADEMYs webiste to get advanced tabs with videos, it helps alot in getting better.

I go to ultimate-guitar for most of my tabs and the forum to discuss things. It also has lessons and instrument reviews so that's useful.

Sweeps and arpeggios seem like they're going to take some time to get down. How long did it take you, Disenthral? I've been playing for around 6 years but I didn't start taking it seriously until about 2 years ago.

yea i use ultimate guitar for guitar pro tabs.But if you are tyring to learn ,shred academy is more for someone trying to learn stuff as sweeps ect..with indetail descriptions from professionals and tons of ways to practice and tons of tabs.i find it much more helpful

ive been playing for four years.it probably took me a good year of sweeps before i was comfortable throwing them around in shows ive played, and having them sound right every time.but with practice you can be doing simple ones in a week.

i hate doing exercises, i started playing mostly tech death or flamenco tabs to improve. anything i could find hard id sit down and learn.

stabwound is a good song i started with, has tabs on UG and has fairly easy sweeps with scales heres a vid of some dude playing it so you can see the finger work.. it helped me alot with sweeps
YouTube - Necrophagist- Stabwound

Back