• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

the Harry Potter novels thread

I was merely giving examples of popular naming slang - i treat womens breasts with the very utmost respect ... at least, i do when i get the chance ;)

Phil :D

*humphs in disgust at last post*

Yes I believe the original Obi Wan (sp?) is dead. Alec Guinness or someone?

Loved all five books, 3rd best, though her style seemed to have changed in the last one, anyone else notice this, I didn't like it as much though it was still good.

Definitely need someone younger for fleur though it seems they can make anyone look almost anyway now.

There finishes my list of random replies.

Cassandra said:
Loved all five books, 3rd best, though her style seemed to have changed in the last one, anyone else notice this, I didn't like it as much though it was still good.

many people havent liked the 5th book because of this change that you are talking about. it has more shades of grey with Harry's angst and Umbridge

i dont think her style has changed. it has evolved . the way she has shown harry's growth in the 5th book is quite brilliant. the 5th book was more striking in such stuff surrounding the main plot.

my favourite sentence: in the chapter 'woes of mrs weasley'
"He felt older than he had ever felt in his life and it seemed extraordinary to him that barely an hour ago he had been worried about a joke shop and who had got a prefect's badge"

I do like that he gets older, he has too, no one stays 11 forever, it just seemed very different to GOF, maybe cus of the time diff(?) in publishing.

I loved all her books. it will be sad once the 7 are over...then what? i think its awesome how she created this whole magical world....and she captivated everyone, you see five year olds being read hp books at night and then you see like grown adults reading them on the subway, its awesome! i wonder who she originally intended them for? i hope that they can keep the movies closer to the books! it seemed like chamber of secrets was somewhat distant with its ending and all...... i'm siked about prisoner comming out soon!! it is such a long time inbetween movies/books.

The third installment was by far the greatest of the books, truely hinting at the darkness, the mystery and alright writing too.

OotP was the worst so far, in my opinion, and could have been a lot shorter. Fair enough, Harry is a teenager and is bound to be angsty, but she put a little too much into this and it was a bit over the top. As mentioned before, there were also continuity errors. The only one I remember offhand is the apparation, also previously mentioned, and how it makes a sound or doesn't when someone is apparating, whereas is did/didn't in previous books (I forget which way around it went.)

Cassandra said:
I do like that he gets older, he has too, no one stays 11 forever...

We are talking of literature, of course, and what about the fabulous Peter Pan, the boy who never grew up :D

Mxx

He lived in Neverland, he wasn't supposed to grow up! Harry lives in the real world (and nobody dare tell me he doesn't :mad: ) more or less at least.

What will happen after the last. She either has to kill him :( or at least show the summer after/have an epilogue (one hopes).

I hate them too, and yes, she could very well do it. Although I'm sure her awakening scene would last for 64 pages.

Mxx

No way she could do that! With her kind of imagination.... although she will probably end it with Voldermort just disappearing, similar to all the other books. It would be neat if she had a chapter that was like 10 years later though......and they were married and had jobs..... I think then Harry would end up with Luna, Ron and Hermionie
and Harry and Neville would be Aruors and part of the Pheonix, Fred and George will own a joke shop (obviously), Hermionie would be the new Headmistress of Hogwarts and I don't know about everyone else.... Any one else have thoughts on this?

that just made me think ... how do you think Voldemort will die??
obviously Harry will kill him but how? he cant do so with his limited magic. i personally think he will use some muggle means (wotsay harry???? take out an Uzi submachine gun and fire!! :D )

along with the future i would also like some more history of james and sirius vs snape

btw the chamber of secrets was opened 50 years ago. that makes Voldemort 65 years old doent it?

About that age though Dumbledore was a teacher then so is even older.

I like h_carnahan's assessment of the future, it acctually sounds possible though I live in fear that Rowling will kill Harry before the end, even if he kills Voldemort. :(

well maybe Dumbledore is using the Exlicar of Life....the thing that Nicolas Flamel and his wife were using to stay alive at 635 was it? because that puts him well over 70... but Voldermort can be 65 because he really is dead in a way because he survives through his soul and other people's body, but now thanks to Harry's blood he has his body back. But Voldermort could always die through the Demenotors Kiss...

Yeah but teh stone was destroyed so unless d had a private store he's on his own . Sides he didn't really sound llike he approved of it did he.

I like that he gets older too. I also like his new awareness of his parents faults. I wonder about Neville's role since he improved so much in the last book and was also born in the right time frame for the Prophecy.

Back