• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Internet Top 100 SF/Fantasy List

I was surprised to not see John Ringo on the list. He's a great sci fi writer. I don't like how the list is MORE towards fantasy and sci fi, I personally, don't like fantasy very much. I love sci fi though.

RaVeN said:
For a series of 8 books to be ranked so high and not be published in English is very disappointing.

RaVeN
There are several fantasy series that haven't been published in the UK - which means shpping them over :(

Ice said:
There are several fantasy series that haven't been published in the UK - which means shpping them over :(

I'm not sure if you understood what I was trying to convey. They've never been published in the English language.

RaVeN

It looks like a good resource but I can't say much for the rating system. I've been reading SF and F for a LONG time and I've never heard of some of those folks before. Its a little light on Asimov, Heinlein, and LeGuin--and I saw no Ben Bova, Greg Bear or--as Oberon said--Jules Verne. Where is H.G. Wells Time Machine on that list? And they can't possibly be taken seriously, like Ell said, without Fahrenheit 451.

Please. Its more like someone went to a big library and listed what was on the shelf in the section marked SF and Fantasy, cut the list into strips, then drew them out randomly.

Oberon said:
Sorry, Stephen R. Donaldson is missing from the list. That cannot be.
Ditto, William Gibson?
No room for Dracula or Frankenstein? Jules Verne is also missing contributions.
Stranger in a Strange Land (not on list) vs Green Hills of Earth?
And "A & B Strugatski" lands three titles in the top fifteen? :p :rolleyes:
Who is Guy G. Kay and he has four books on this list?!! :mad:

Can't take it seriously ...

Okay, I was right there with you until you came down on Kay! Just the other day I was discussing with a friend how much we loved Kay in our teens and how we will try to find time to read the books over again.

I'm puzzled by the lack of Stephen R Donaldson also. 'The Gap' series was killer Sci-fi, without being overly heavy on the science bit.

Why are HHGTTG and the Foundation Trilogy so low down? Definitely skewed to fantasy readers' tastes, I would say. Interesting, nonetheless.

When I read through the list there were around 3000 folks that had voted? Something like that. Perhaps the sample was too small in the poll, the results of which were weighted. Each person voting assigned a value to the book--can't recall how much, and then the results were tabulated. Who knows? Somehow they're a bit skewed.

I think its been discussed before here about how SF and Fantasy are two separate genre's. They just get lumped together to save rackspace or something like that. I think it'd be pretty tough to get accurate results from a diverse group like that especially on the internet.

Cosmos_Cat said:
Okay, I was right there with you until you came down on Kay! Just the other day I was discussing with a friend how much we loved Kay in our teens and how we will try to find time to read the books over again.
I'll look up Kay, but I've been reading sf for 40 years and have never had him recommended to me nor even noticed him on bookstore shelves. Nor A & B Strugatski ... To land as many books as they have on this list and not see the name of the man who practically invented SF --Jules Verne-- not mentioned?!! :mad: :rolleyes:

Oberon said:
Someone could work a list from the "Five Best..." thread, I suppose ...

Thats a dandy idea but I don't think the current five best thread will cut it. No order and it would be a nightmare for tabulation. If its going to be serious then there has to be an pre-agreed format. Entries only numbered 1 - 5 at the top of the post with discussion at the bottom of the post, or something. None of this: I liked this one, but not that one oh I guess this ones better. Those would have to be disqualified because you'd go cross-eyed trying to figure out what was #1, etc.

Hmm...I suppose I'd be willing to tabulate the results if we could figure out a scoring system.

1-10 scoring would probably do it.

Couldn't we make seperate lists for Fantasy and Science Fiction? Mixing them doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Cheers :D

The story so far:

• Two threads:Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • post up to ten books in order rated 1-10
  • discussion at bottom of post only

Questions:
  • Stand alone books or series? Or does it matter? For example, Fellowship of the Ring vs. Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • And whats the deadline? Do we set a time limit or go until we get a decent sample? Say a thousand votes? (That'd take forever)
  • Instead of a limit on books should we allow folks to rate as many as they've read as long as they've read them?(THAT would sure get us to a hundred faster.

Post up and lets see what we can get done.

Prolixic said:
Questions:
  • Stand alone books or series? Or does it matter? For example, Fellowship of the Ring vs. Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • And whats the deadline? Do we set a time limit or go until we get a decent sample? Say a thousand votes? (That'd take forever)
  • Instead of a limit on books should we allow folks to rate as many as they've read as long as they've read them?(THAT would sure get us to a hundred faster.
1. I would say series, whats the point in saying that The fellowship of the ring is good and the two next where bad, when you have to read it all anyway.
2. I would say no deadline, just update the list with the votes as they come.
3. No limit on books. People should be able to rate all the books they want, or there just wont be a basis to make the list.

Prolixic said:
Questions:

Post up and lets see what we can get done.
  • Series
  • No deadline. Updating every hundred votes or so. (use EXCEL)
  • I think there should be a limit like 10 books or so. 10 book nominations should be enough per person?! Otherwise there might be a lot of books but very few with high rankings.
  • One should only use every number of the ranking once. That would help to separate the books better.

Cheers :D

(Round two)The story so far:

• Two threads:Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • post up to ten books in order rated 1-10
  • discussion at bottom of post only
  • Stand alone books or series
  • No deadline. We'll update periodically--monthly or quarterly
  • 10 book limit

Questions?
Maybe we can get someone to sticky it for us? *nudge nudge wink wink*

I'll leave this alone till tomorrow to allow for comment then we'll see what we can get done.

Gizmo: Thats funny I was thinking of using Excel. That way you could weight the scores if you had to or do whatever math you wanted. Great idea!

Just a thought: if you split fantasy and scifi you may have a little problem - such as how you would categorize books that cross the boundaries. In fact, what would constitute a boundary? When would you decide a book is fantasy or scifi - i.e. Dune, Xanth (okay, even if *those* are categorizable, you know what I mean).

Another thing to consider: if you put up your all time best 10 books, then later you pick up something you hadn't noticed before and it blew the socks of you, and boy you wish you could amend the list. The book limit would seem too restrictive.

At any rate, I thought Hay had mentioned something about doing a list in another post. Maybe Hay could drop some comments on how he decided on the scoring system?

ds

Back