• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Internet Top 100 SF/Fantasy List

Categorization

As far as SF and Fantasy categories I think we'd have to stick with the publishers--sometimes arbitrary--categorization. Why do all that work again AND argue over it?

As far as the 10 book limit goes...the list should (hopefully) continue to be updated as members come and go. As it stands folks can vote for up to ten books. Some can think of that many good SF or Fantasy books, some haven't read that many yet. Some have read Fahrenheit 451 and think its the best SF book ever (don't get me wrong, its pretty darn close).

Anyway, the idea is to get a good representation of what SF and Fantasy books the community thinks are really good--the best.

Its also been suggested that there be no discussion of books, just votes. What do you all think about that?

Yeah, that all sounds good. Are we putting our favourite book at the Number 10 slot, and our least favourite at the Number 1 slot. I think that would make sense, so that the highest scoring book wins at the end. We could do it the other way around, having the best at #1 going downwards, but you'd then have to reverse the positions to get the scores. You've probably got it all figured out anyway though, I'll let you get on with it! :D

direstraits said:
At any rate, I thought Hay had mentioned something about doing a list in another post. Maybe Hay could drop some comments on how he decided on the scoring system?
I did, but there wasn't really anyone who went for it... I had imagined the scoring system to be like this: Author - Book - Rating, and not just making it a collection of top 10s as I had intended at first. The top 10 thing would make it difficult to get books in that you have recently read, because you have already submitted your top 10.

Or we could do a percentage score. That might work out - I don't know though, I haven't really thought it through properly. :D

Prolixic said:
Its also been suggested that there be no discussion of books, just votes. What do you all think about that?
I would also say no discussion, we already have threads for that and it would be easier to make the list if people just voted.

Prolixic said:
Questions?
Maybe we can get someone to sticky it for us? *nudge nudge wink wink*
When you get it set up, I'll be happy to sticky it for you! ;)

ell :)

Thanks Ell! I appreciate that!

Here's what I've got in mind for scoring. Each poster picks their top ten books. Number one, the best in their opinion, gets the highest score--probably ten. Number two gets a nine, number three gets an eight, and so on. So ten people pick LOTR to be the best ever:rolleyes:. Thats a hundred points. But twenty people pick Fahrenheit 451 to be number two. Thats 160 points. F451 would have a higher place than LOTR. Pretty simple--which is very good--and statistically it should level the playing field and get rid of all the pop culture bumps.

I guess I'll go ahead and set up the thread, since the posting rules are pretty well hammered out. If anyones got ideas on scoring, post 'em up and we'll chew 'em over.

hay82, as for recent books...how about this: You can post a top ten once a calendar month or quarterly? Something like that...that way it will be ongoing and we can get new books in that way too. And I think the scoring system I just talked about is similar to what you wanted, is that right?

Like the idea of our own forum's list.

I'm not convinced by the new book idea to be honest. Can't we just do the poll again in another year or 2 to see how things have changed? Or you could do the excel think I suppose (with people posting addendums to their lists as they read new books)

Prolixic said:
hay82, as for recent books...how about this: You can post a top ten once a calendar month or quarterly? Something like that...that way it will be ongoing and we can get new books in that way too. And I think the scoring system I just talked about is similar to what you wanted, is that right?
Not really what I had in mind.. Problem with your way of getting new books in is that you can have a periode of time, reading nothing but bad books and you would then have to give one of those 10 points although you don't think its worth it.
I think it should be done as a rating system with no limit to the number of books you rate.. Like:
Guy Gavriel Kay - The Lions of Al'rassan - 9
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5 - 10
Stupid - Very bad book - 0
Hay - My thoughts - 0

Fortunately, hay, I had the sort of emergency this morning that occurs when you have a house full of kids. We'll give it some thinking time and I'll come back to it on Monday--here in about 36 hours.

I'd be awful tempted to put Stars My Destination at #1. Definitely in the top 5.

Armor was a great read, but #16?

Well I've tried to post this darn thing twice. To quote Roger Zelazny "Its just one damn thing after another."

* One thread for Science Fiction and Fantasy
* No limit no duplicates
* Author-Title-Ranking (On a scale of 1-10 this book is a...)
* No discussion, votes only
* One post per calendar month
* Stand alone books or series
* No deadline. We'll update periodically--monthly or quarterly

Hows that?

Prolixic said:
Well I've tried to post this darn thing twice. To quote Roger Zelazny "Its just one damn thing after another."

* One thread for Science Fiction and Fantasy
* No limit no duplicates
* Author-Title-Ranking (On a scale of 1-10 this book is a...)
* No discussion, votes only
* One post per calendar month
* Stand alone books or series
* No deadline. We'll update periodically--monthly or quarterly

Hows that?
I would say that you should be able to post more that one post pr month, you can post when you have read a book and it is still fresh in your mind. Apart from that it sound like a good idea.

Thanks Prolixic. It's now been 'stuck' at the top of the Science Fiction & Fantasy Board for everyone to see and participate in.

What do we do with a series that isn't complete? Rate it as it is now or wait until its done?
BTW great work Prolixic.

hay82 said:
What do we do with a series that isn't complete? Rate it as it is now or wait until its done?
BTW great work Prolixic.

Thanks.

I'd just rate it as it stands or, if its been going downhill, rate the individual books. For instance, in Jordans Wheel of Time I've seen lots of gripes that he's stretching it out to cash in on the market. If I could stand to read the guy I'd rate the books on their own merit. That way if we ever get enough votes to do a series list we'll have individual book data which the author might appreciate if no one else.

Prolixic said:
Regarding the Top 100, do we need a companion thread for discussion?
I would think that the books on that list is already being discussed in other threads on the board.

Back