• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Internet Top 100 SF/Fantasy List

Great job on the Forum 100--I'll compose my long list offline and upload soon.

As you can see from my "Current Reading" list, I've found a book by GG Kay and am enjoying it! He was involved with completing The Silmarillion of all things! And he's from Toronto, one of my favorite cities!

Since there's no companion thread to the TBF Top 100 Book List, I'd post my opinion here. I've noticed all of the suggestions thus far are for books that forum members enjoyed reading. It's be great if people started posting books that they *didn't* enjoy, so that we'd know what books they didn't like as well. This has the advantage of giving the list a better balance; people who didn't like LOTR could vote and give it a 1, for instance. Also, by doing this, it exposes more books to the list.

Just my 2 cents.

ds

Oberon said:
As you can see from my "Current Reading" list, I've found a book by GG Kay and am enjoying it! He was involved with completing The Silmarillion of all things! And he's from Toronto, one of my favorite cities!
If this is your first GGK book, then boy you are in for a treat. In a way I envy you... I remember how I felt whenever I read a fresh GGK book. :D

ds

This is a duplicate but I couldn't figure out how to delete it. Things have changed a bit since the last time I had to do it.

direstraits said:
I've noticed all of the suggestions thus far are for books that forum members enjoyed reading. It's be great if people started posting books that they *didn't* enjoy, so that we'd know what books they didn't like as well. This has the advantage of giving the list a better balance; people who didn't like LOTR could vote and give it a 1, for instance. Also, by doing this, it exposes more books to the list.

Just my 2 cents.
ds

Right. I've tried to just rate whatever I had on hand on my shelf and I keep EVERYTHING. I lost a number of really good books to roomies, moving, and just general wear and tear when I was single, so my library is much reduced. Most of what I have I've read over the last four or five years.

Anyway whether I liked it or not I tried to rate it fairly.

Just realized after posting my last batch of ratings that I've only given one 10, even though I love most of my 9s. Guess I have a hard time giving a perfect score as I'm always looking for something even better. :( :confused:

Oberon said:
Can't take it seriously ...

Absolutly agreedable.
Where Bulgakov?
Their hadn't find place even for Master & Margarita
Most of them i didn't read, but the part i read can't compare even with Dog's heart.

Disagree about not able to take it seriously because it doesn't include so and so writer.

I've always held this list in esteem because it precisely lists authors that I've never heard of, and it always gives me great pleasure to find out more about these other authors and why they are rated so highly. I've found, among others, authors such as Guy Gavriel Kay (I cannot say enough about this guy), Lois McMaster Bujold and most importantly, George RR Martin from this list.

To be fair, I found this list many years ago (circa 97?), and it hasn't been updated for a long while now.

Start looking at the list as a means to find new sexy authors rather than as an affirmation and you'll see what I mean. :)

Cheerio!

ds

Vote, then, dear Shael, in TBF's very own Top 100 Scifi and Fantasy List compiled by Prolixic. Looking forward to your list!

ds

Yah, I have fewer reservations about the list now that I've read the Sarantine Mosaic: Guy G. Kay is a very good storyteller and I will be looking for more of his work.

Prolixic isn't doing so hot with the list. I'm having a hard time figuring out a way to count votes per book. I've tried Excel and Access. Anyone have any suggestions, just let me know.

Back