• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Library

Darren

Over the next few months I'm planning a major overhall and upgrade of our existing reviews library. The exisiting software and database has reached the maximum it can achieve in terms of features and functionality.

Now's your chance to say what new features you'd like to see included. The main goal of the library is to be a central information point for all types of books, fiction and non-fiction. In effect an imdb.com for books!

I'm planning a more advanced administrative system which will allow editors to add to and update the database. The exisiting system doesn't allow this so the database has only grown slowly. Once the system is up and running, I'll be looking for volunteers to help out. If you're interested, drop me an email or PM.

So what features, functions and information do you want our new library to have?

The implementation of a polling system or ratings for books via a web interface would be ideal solution to all the proposals of TBF's very own Top Books list.

Just a wish list... :)

ds

Darren, do you do all the mySQL and PHP yourself or do you have someone that does it for you?

A ratings system (in addition to the regular reviews) would be a good idea.

Stewart, I do some coding myself. Other stuff is contracted out to developers.

I don't know if this is even feasible or not, but it'd be cool if, when clicking on someone's name in the forums, there would be a link to the page where all that member's reviews are listed (besides the usual buttons; 'send email', 'send PM', etc..).

Cheers

As well as the standard reviews, it is possible to have a section for 'mini reviews' - ie a paragraph or so. Writing proper reviews takes time, whilst a few lines can easily be bashed out after reading a book.

Both of those are good ideas - I rarely feel inclined now to sit down and write a full review, but as fluffy said a few lines can easily be typed up.

What about a way to autogenerate a note for the mods when 5 or more mini-reviews for a book have been written (so a forum topic could be started).

Note to mod rather than auto thread generation as a topic may already exist for the book.

Freya said:
Aaah he suggests that now he's not a mod and doesn't have to deal with it. Sly fluffy :cool:

With great power comes great responsibility (along with comfy chairs and free Hobnobs). Why not throw a little work their way? ;)

Martin said:
I don't know if this is even feasible or not, but it'd be cool if, when clicking on someone's name in the forums, there would be a link to the page where all that member's reviews are listed (besides the usual buttons; 'send email', 'send PM', etc..).

Cheers

That's a good idea!

How about listing books in the library by author, genre, rating, number of reviews, and most recent? It would be good to be able to navigate by selecting those criteria. Also, what about a random button then would take you to a list of 10 random reviews?

I would appreciate a function to list the books concerning their rating.
So you could have a look at the best rated books. :D

Definitely a top rated books function.

Mmmmm...how about a "I forgot the name of this book please help..." search function that searches through all the titles and text in all the reviews in the Library and makes suggestions based upon matches.

I noticed more than once that I cannot review a book that isn't in the library. Maybe allow for that too? (At the same time expand the library?)

ds

direstraits said:
I noticed more than once that I cannot review a book that isn't in the library. Maybe allow for that too? (At the same time expand the library?)

ds

I hate to say it but thats one of the reasons I quit reviewing books in the first place. I did several but it was a lot of trouble to write a review and then find out the book wasn't there then wait for it to get in there, etc.

I am certain that its better than it was way back when, but I haven't tried it since for that reason.

That's a reason I stopped too. Most of the time it takes ages for a proposed book to turn up in the library. Sometimes they never show up at all.
I love to write reviews, but it takes a lot of time and for me it is some piece of work. When you write one and then the book never turns up in he library you stop writing them (except the book is already in the library).
I know that I should write a PM to a mod in these cases, but to be honest it's a pain in the *** to go after every proposal and ensure that it ends up in the library. :eek:

As it is now, you can send Darren an email contaning the title you're reviewing, the author, some general info (isbn, blurb, etc) along with the actual review, and he'll add if for you.

But if it is at all possible to change this, to make it easier for both us and Darren, then I'm all for it.

Cheers

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've added them to the "wish list" I'm creating for our new library. It will take several months for the new library to be developed, and we will be working on the admin/editor interface first.

In the meantime the current library will still be operational.

Back