• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The new economy of book publishing

In my experience, e-books can be quite a hassle (with DRM, hardware and software compatibility issues etc). Lazy people usually give up when that happens.

Back in the 80's I remember having a conversation with a coworker about books on tape. He was lamenting the laziness of listening to a book rather than reading one and was worried that books on tape would be the doom of paper books. Ironically, books on tape are gone and paper books are still hanging around.

I have read that many people, circa the 1930s, thought that television would be the doom of radio, but of course that didn't pan out either. Just when it looked like radio was going to die, along came Elvis Presley.

However, I ~do~ think it's different this time. Printed paper matter, books newspapers and magazines are on the ropes. Not just on the ropes, but their knees are buckling, one eye is swollen shut, and their mouthguards have been knocked out and sailed into the tenth row of the audience. With several wealthy men, such as Carlos Slim buying huge stakes in struggling newspapers, some people think newspapers will be back when the economy improves. I have to respectfully disagree, only a few newspapers will be around within ten years.

Back to the topic of book publishing, I fear the end of paper books is near. They may last another generation at the most. I predict that publishers will soon release thier most popular author's works in e-format only and that's when the slippery slope will give way.

I don't have a Kindle, and I have no plans to get one soon. One of the most enjoyable aspects of reading a book is flopping down on the couch and turning the pages. Can I get the same experience from a Kindle? No, not really. Part of the fun of reading a book is the hunt in the bookstore, taking down book after book, putting them all back, going back to get the one I rejected, putting it back again. Finally narrowing it down to three or four books, then down to a couple, then out to my car to rush home and begin reading.

Jeff Bezos, the CEO of Amazon, said himself that he doesn't think the Kindle will be the death of printed books. He said that bound and printed books have served us well for 500 years and they will be around another 500 years at least.

Welcome to the site, Hugh!

Ironically, books on tape are gone and paper books are still hanging around.

Of course books on tape are gone; there's been a pretty big technology shift there. Audio books are still around and booming like never before, they just shifted from tape to CD, mp3 and services like Audible. People who bought a lot of books on tape will of course have to replace them if they want to listen to them again, but they're going to have to do that with their e-books as well.

I fear the end of paper books is near. They may last another generation at the most. I predict that publishers will soon release thier most popular author's works in e-format only and that's when the slippery slope will give way.

(...)

Jeff Bezos, the CEO of Amazon, said himself that he doesn't think the Kindle will be the death of printed books. He said that bound and printed books have served us well for 500 years and they will be around another 500 years at least.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you think he's wrong?

This ebook thing is just going to get more complicated - The Shatzkin Files

It is also critical to keep in mind that the ebook market for consumers has not happened yet! Publishers are seeing sales of about 1% of their revenue. I am a bit abashed about how over-optimistic I have been about ebooks for the past ten years (a by-product of having personally read more books on devices than on paper, by a factor of about 4 to 1, in the 21st century, and about 40 to 1 since I got my Kindle.) I can see ebooks getting to 7-10% of the units sold for consumer books in the next 3-to-5 years and I’m the optimist.

And with 85% of even that incipient market having not happened yet, most of which will be read on devices that haven’t been delivered yet (including future versions of Kindle, Sony Reader, iPhone, etc.) and, further with whole business models (subscriptions, book-of-the-month plans, bundling of titles together, offers by publishers to give ebooks away with print or audio books) which have hardly surfaced yet, we can only imagine what more changes we might see between now and then.

Only 1%? Seems the reports of the death of the dead tree book have been greatly exaggerated.

Hm...it'll definitely happen in the future. Everyone (in industrialized countries anyway) will have e-books and printing books on paper will seem wasteful and ridiculous. I'm pretty sure it's inevitable. No, there's not demand for it now, obviously. E-book readers like the Kindle are too expensive. However, when they start to get cheaper more and more people will buy them, and actual books will slowly fade away...

It's sad, but true. I'm not sure when it will happen. I predict that in the future they won't use paper at all. It's already happening. The average person write emails a lot more than they send letters. I went to a store to apply for a job the other they and the manager told me I had to fill out an application online because "everything's online now".

Sigh. I'm already feeling nostalgic :(

Thank goodness Third World countries will be able to fill the niche for paper books in the World of Tomorrow.

I have to say that I have just seen my first Kindle and I am completely blown away! :eek:

I had never gotten the full flavor, from anything I have ever read, of just how convenient they appear to be. About the size and shape of a paperback -- smaller and much more physically attractive than I ever imagined -- with a larger font size that was immensely easier to read on the screen than a printed page. If there were no tree books around it would easily and by far, fulfill my reading requirements without a single complaint or regret from me. In fact, technogeek that I am, I find myself hungering to have one, in addition to and not instead of, all my normal look-and-feel books. I want both kinds, right now! So when the prices come down, there is just so obviously a Kindle in my future. Not a doubt in the world. :flowers:

Et tu, Peder? :p

I'm sure I'd love to have one too but the price would have to drop significantly before I'd even consider it.

Yup, mi tu! :D
Oh, I have great faith in technology going up and prices coming down.
So, someday I'll have one, and it will probably be a better more appealing model than the one I saw, which will be viewed as ancient by then. Or maybe I'll get an 'ancient' one dirt cheap, which will still be fine for my purposes.
I feel it happening. :)

I agree that E-books will come down in price eventually, but I do not agree that they will replace paper books in any solid way unless new technology is developed to ease the eyes when reading on a screen. There is a general stigma around E-Books that they are written poorly and are only used as a way to make a few bucks, and as long as this sticks around I do not see E-Books selling very well. I am addicted to the turning of pages, and am not about to switch over to E-books even if they are 1/4 of the price

I'd like to jump in here. I'm kind of new and haven't posted much. But, I still like a paperback book to hold while I cuddle up on the sofa at night with a nice glass of wine. So do many of my friends. Besides, you never really own a E-book. You can't give it away, you can't sell it and it won't set well on your book shelf....

My two cents,

Jennifer Robins

I'd like to jump in here. I'm kind of new and haven't posted much. But, I still like a paperback book to hold while I cuddle up on the sofa at night with a nice glass of wine. So do many of my friends. Besides, you never really own a E-book. You can't give it away, you can't sell it and it won't set well on your book shelf....

My two cents,

Jennifer Robins
So true. My home would be missing its heart if there were no books around.

Yes, I think it will be very much problematic for the common people who can read our books from the libraries.But with the advent of e-books it will not be possible because these are highly expensive and moreover you need a computer to read the e-books.

Back