• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The new economy of book publishing

I don't remember the last hardcover book I purchased from any bookseller.

I don't see the iPad as a serious threat to the Kindle unless the iPad drops about $200-300 in price or the iTunes store starts selling eBooks (iBooks?) for $1.99 per book.

Sharp to enter e-digital book industry

Sharp Corporation has developed XMDF, a next-generation e-book format (hereinafter "Next-generation XMDF") with advanced features that allow users to enjoy video and audio content, in addition to current features such as texts and still images. With next-generation XMDF as a core technology, Sharp will within this year provide digital platform to promote e-book distribution service and launch compatible reader devices to enter the e-book market. Various publishing houses (newspaper, magazines, catalogs), printing and agent companies in Japan and overseas market will be supporting Sharp to launch this e-book business.

Interesting. As more players come onto the scene, prices should drop and features increase and that is a good thing for us (except for the early adopters but they know what they are getting themselves into when they purchase their new gadget).

I wonder if it is fair to compare the e-Reader [r]evolution with the MP3 player [r]evolution and try to draw some conclusions as to how it will be in 3 years. Will the Kindle be the iPod of e-Readers or will that coveted title go to the Nook, iPad, or something else?

Interesting. As more players come onto the scene, prices should drop and features increase and that is a good thing for us (except for the early adopters but they know what they are getting themselves into when they purchase their new gadget).

I wonder if it is fair to compare the e-Reader [r]evolution with the MP3 player [r]evolution and try to draw some conclusions as to how it will be in 3 years. Will the Kindle be the iPod of e-Readers or will that coveted title go to the Nook, iPad, or something else?

Interesting thoughts sparkchaser. The only constant is change and you're right, what we are seeing right now is nothing more than a big race and evolution in e-readers and content that will somehow "shake out" in a few years. I

More e-book drama.

E-books article drinking game

“Will e-books wipe out/kill/decimate/pulverize/HULKSMASH/angry verb real books?” — one drink

Expert you’ve never heard of before predicting percentages — one drink

“turn the page” used as a pun — one drink

“smell of a real book” — clean out the liquor cabinet, drink until you pass out, wake up next morning, puke, then continue drinking

That is fabulous.

I love this one:
“Will e-books wipe out/kill/decimate/pulverize/HULKSMASH/angry verb real books?” — one drink

HULKSMASH

I suggest no BAR member try to play this game on this forum, as the Management takes no responsibility on any alcohol-poisoning related deaths.

“smell of a real book” — clean out the liquor cabinet, drink until you pass out, wake up next morning, puke, then continue drinking

What is a kindle? What is wrong with books? The books never break down and you don't need batteries for them. I am glad I am old and will be dead before the world completely turns to crap.

What is a kindle? What is wrong with books? The books never break down and you don't need batteries for them. I am glad I am old and will be dead before the world completely turns to crap.

If we had a post of the week, I think this would be it. And I don't mean that in a negative way.

Hey Beer Good, I have a business idea you might be interested in.

You know how stores sell "new car smell" scented air fresheners? How about the same for books? Make them scented wipes that you can use to clean your eReader. And you could choose from several different scents depending on the eBook you're about to read: new book smell, used book smell (combination of smoke and coffee), and mildew.

We can become millionaires. Or Thousandaires.

My major concern is of platform dependent copy. For example, Amazon pays author X a set amount for their new novels to appear solely on the Kindle device, no other eReader is allowed to get the copy. Possibly it won't even hit the print stands to make a physical copy. I really do see this happening down the road, especially in light of articles such as that by the OP.

On the other hand, as the technology widens I think the publishers really should fear piracy as much or if not more than they did with music. I can see publishers wishing they'd stuck with paper copy books as more and more people crack/hack devices and start distributing books like sweets. As a book lover I really fear this happening, as it could cripple number of up and coming authors and put-off new authors from even bothering to start writing.

Back