• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Therapy Thread

sirmyk said:
Need to vent? Dump it out here for all to discuss.

I'll start... I hate when family and / or friends bring up one of the three no-nos in conversation (religion, money, politics) and insist on pushing buttons. Sex used to be a fourth no-no, but has since been removed from my list.

I hate it when people can't take these subjects and can't conduct themselves in debate without rancour.
I think it shows weak character and lack of tolerance when people lose their temper and can't behave like decent human beings in these discussions.

But that is not an excuse for these subjects to be avoided. why let the children win?

Doctor, I don't understand myself. I never listen to what I'm saying, and I don't even look myself in the eye when I'm talking. I feel like I've grown apart. I think I should separate.

My mother was two people. I remember her standing in the kitchen contradicting herself every evening. Mater and Auntie Mater. Ha ha.

The planet is becoming too small, don't you agree? Even if one person smokes in France, I can smell it. Also feet, know what I mean?

This morning the mist lay below in the valley between the mountains, and my house seemed like an island above. I walked down into it, along the bottom of the misted ocean and counted all the dead frogs that had come up for air overnight.

"Our time is up, miss novella."

"Already? Sheesh, I feel so much better."

"That's eighty for today's session. See you Tuesday, then?"

"I like your end table. It's rather like a human organ, isn't it?"

leckert said:
I'm sick of jerks who think they can do what they want with impunity.

I'm sitting first in a left-turn lane, waiting for the green arrow. Asshole pulls in front of me so that he doesn't have to sit in line. He actually smiled and nodded at me!

I cut his ass off and nearly ran him into the curb.

jerkoff actually blew his horn at me.
It took a moment for this ranting by Leckert to catch in my mind. I just thought he was talking dirty again... especially with that last line. :eek: I was waiting for the carribou.

RobertFKennedy said:
I hate it when people can't take these subjects and can't conduct themselves in debate without rancour.
I think it shows weak character and lack of tolerance when people lose their temper and can't behave like decent human beings in these discussions.
Hence, why I avoid the three no-nos. I think people would rather bitch about the no-nos than debate them.

Edit: I hate all the f**king modern day vampires: mosquitos, ticks, fleas... even leeches.

sirmyk said:
Edit: I hate all the f**king modern day vampires: mosquitos, ticks, fleas... even leeches.
Not to mention wanna-be goths who are amongst the most pathetic existences this world currently sustains.

abecedarian said:
And that's were most discussions of hot topics goes awry..not respecting the other person. I have strong beliefs, that I know in my heart are true, and it is natural and right to want to share them with others. But that does NOT give me the right to brow-beat and harass. Having said that, I have seen and experienced non-Christians who go out of their way to attack my beliefs. What people of all faiths, and political leanings, need to recognize, is that we aren't all going to agree all the time, and that discussion is only discussion when all parties are ok with that. Even heated debate is fine, so long as it doesn't sink to personal attacks. At some point, everyone involved has to laugh, shake hands, and cool off.

I agree 100%. You have read my mind. ;)

Once, several years ago, my brother and I were forced to dine with neighbours we had only just met due to an unfortunate event that occurred in the street. Towards the end of the evening, one of the neighbours (the one whose house we were at) started saying something about "those f*cking Christians". I said nothing and left fairly soon afterwards. When we were at home my brother said, "I guess you didn't like Carol much." I told him that she was either incredibly stupid or simply didn't care who she offended. Either way, not my type of person. Had she not generalised so much or actually tried to have a discussion on the subject, I wouldn't have minded in the least, but to insult a whole group of people, not knowing me from a bar of soap and therefore not knowing whether or not I happened to be one of "those f*cking Christians", was, in my opinion, offensive. Afterwards I foundout that she was incredibly stupid. :p

Good morning, Doctor Sirmyk.

Good morning, novella.

Something is niggling at my brain today, doc. I can't decide whether to repress it or to really obsess about it. It's making me paranoid.

Yes?

Well, for two nights in a row I bit my tongue really hard while sleeping. It hurt like hell, like an electric shock and the pain kept me awake for hours. Last night I was dreaming that I was cooking sausages and peppers with Dustin Hoffman in a jazz club, and his down jacket was getting in the way. I had no chopping board, so I was cutting with the knife against my finger, and Dustin was telling people how great it was going to be. Then I bit my tongue really hard, which I could actually feel in my spine. Wicked.

I see.

So I said to Dustin, they don't take credit cards here, so the people are different. He seemed very interested. Then I realized we were on a variety show called Previous Lovers. I pulled myself out of the dream at that point. But the tongue-biting thing really stuck with me.

We're out of time.

Oh.

So there we were, talking about British History and this classmate of mine kept referring to the 'descenders'. I was puzzled, who the hell were they? I'd never heard of them before. A while into the conversation it slowly dawns on me who he's talking about.

The 'dissenters'.

ARGH! Why can't people learn to pronounce words right? Why can't they realise that in English d's and t's do not have the same sound? Bloody stupid Danes with no linguistic finesse and awareness. Bah!

You know, doc, everyone I meet these days is bipolar. It's like the first thing they say. "I'm bipolar." Even better is "I'm diagnosed bipolar," which is, like, way heavier. It's the new trendy mental thing. People in the 80s used to say, "oh, I'm so neurotic." Now they're all bipolar. I think that means they have no personal restraint, no modesty, no recognition that just being in the world without affecting it at that moment is OKAY.

I think it's part of the American Dream, which fosters a complete lack of moderation and, at the same time, a perverse pride in having a lack of moderation. It's very very American. The all-you-can-eat emotion bar. I bet you never get English people telling you they're bipolar. It's unseemly. Who else but Americans would be proud of their lack of self-control? Who else would want to discuss it over dinner?

It's like Americans being either way too fat or too thin and then developing a whole culture around trying to fix that. People in other countries must be shaking their heads, going "what are they thinking?"

It's as if every American has taken that stupid Nike slogan "just do it" and adopted it as a serious lifestyle choice. The Church of Acting Out. They don't realize that for every instance of Just Do It, there should be an equal instance of Just DON'T Do It. Don' t eat it, don't buy it, don't have sex with it, don't scream at it, don't cry about it, don't adopt it, don't promote it, don't sell it, don't wear it, don't discuss it on television, don't worship it, don't quit it, don't lose it, don't do anything for the moment. Just don't do it. Just sit in a damn cafe for half an hour and think about something, like the rest of the world. Know what I mean?

I haven't either, but I know people who have. I think it's a way to empty people's pockets, making them drag their problems around for a lot time instead of solving them or coming to terms with them.

clueless said:
I hate therapy.

clueless, that is NOT helpful to those of us who wish to run off at the mouth endlessly about our personal problems and misguided ideas. If you do not wish to partake and see no value in such such nonproductive self-indulgence, then you may sit quietly, take notes, and write a tell-all book when you leave.

Personally, I think paying someone to listen to one's endless gripes and delusions is really the only fair way to do it. I intend to keep seeing Doctor Sirmyk, although he has offered me no concrete advice whatsoever. He has a comfy couch and free tissues and he snores very lightly.

novella said:
then you may sit quietly, take notes, and write a tell-all book when you leave.
And be sued to the last penny?
I had started doing that. Unfortunately, some of my main characters left the forum.

jenn, don't you realize that TBF is your group therapy?

i was thinking about that actually, but then got to wondering what kind of therapy am i in? am i a pirate who is afraid of boats? am i a dan brown lover afraid to come out of the closet? mommies who love their jammies? spammers anonymous? women who love moto too much? general chat detox? i want to read but don't know how to let go of the people magazine? when you love a banned member too much and how to let go? are you dictionary dependant? how to ask for advice and take it without going into a fit of rage? how to offend without appearing offensive? bad threads anonymous.

where is my support group leader?

Back