• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Therapy Thread

sirmyk

Need to vent? Dump it out here for all to discuss.

I'll start... I hate when family and / or friends bring up one of the three no-nos in conversation (religion, money, politics) and insist on pushing buttons. Sex used to be a fourth no-no, but has since been removed from my list.

I don't care for those topics either, I also don't like constant complainers. My sister does nothing but complain, it's the only time she talks is to put something down. It's to the point were no one invites her anywhere anymore so now she complains of being left out.

My family are all in the States so they bother me not. I LOVE talking politics and religion though.

I love talking about all three, especially money. If you check my profile I am indeed a banker and I love my job. I'm going to get my mutual funds liscence quite shortly and really get down the business. That being said, I'm 21 and doubt I'll be with the bank my entire life.

Money is the green fire that burns us all.

Well, it's green here in the U.S... but you can replace "green" with whatever the color of your currency.

Prairie_Girl said:
I love talking about all three, especially money. If you check my profile I am indeed a banker and I love my job. I'm going to get my mutual funds liscence quite shortly and really get down the business. That being said, I'm 21 and doubt I'll be with the bank my entire life.

I was in mortgage Ops for 10 years and I got pretty burnt out on hearing about everyone's money woes. I still help close friends but I ran screaming from the bank a year ago and try not to go back more than is absolutely required.

Talking about money bores me, but I love discussing religion and politics. I grew up in a very politically involved family with extremely loose ties (see funerals and maybe Christmas) to the Catholic Church. We used to love to debate politics and religion over the dinner table. We continue to do so as adults, which is probably offputting to guests.

I like some conversations of religion, if they are informative and interesting. I guess what I don't like are judgemental lectures from mostly the newly reformed. I find many religions fascinating and love to hear of them just don't care to be converted in any way.

Ronny said:
I like some conversations of religion, if they are informative and interesting. I guess what I don't like are judgemental lectures from mostly the newly reformed. I find many religions fascinating and love to hear of them just don't care to be converted in any way.

We're a bunch of agnostic or pagan leaning ex-catholics, so our conversations are always about disecting various religions. My mother once told me she wouldn't care if I brought home a boyfriend of another race, or a girlfriend, but should I think I bringing home someone who wants to "save" us, I'm kicked out of the house.

My mother once told me she wouldn't care if I brought home a boyfriend of another race, or a girlfriend, but should I think I bringing home someone who wants to "save" us, I'm kicked out of the house.

I would never have a bias like that. Doesn't everyone put pictures of Franklin Roosevelt in their children's room? ;) :D :p (slowly walks away before anyone calls me out on that one)

I don't mind discussion about politics, religion, or even money. These are issues that we all have to deal with, and even a viewpoint I don't share, is worth hearing. What gripes me is knee-jerk prejudice. I'm white, with southern roots, but my mother's life experiences taught her that some things she grew up with were not true. I have cousins that honestly believe that white is just superior somehow, ordained by God Himself. They are also leery of Hispanics, Jews, Arabs, and anyone else who looks or prays differently than them. It especially ironic to hear certain cousins badmouth Hispanics, since two of my cousins are half Mexican, and another is married to a Peruvian lady. Having known and loved some Mexicans, Jews, and African Americans, I usually can't sit still when a crude comment is made..and my kids are getting just as "mouthy"!
:D

I have nothing against discussing the above three, however my input is usually limited when it comes to politics and money because of lack of knowledge/interest. I don't like discussing religion with people who want to criticise, but can't take it if you return the criticism. I respect the fact that everyone has a right to believe what they want as long as my right to hold my own beliefs is also respected.

abecedarian said:
Having known and loved some Mexicans, Jews, and African Americans, I usually can't sit still when a crude comment is made..and my kids are getting just as "mouthy"!

Don't worry. I was that kid, and I turned out OK. When I was quite young I told an uncle to "F*** Off" (a phrase I had learned on the bus and obviously didn't understand) when he made a joke referring to african-americans in inapropriate terminology. I'm pretty sure the entire room went instantly silent. I of course got in HUGE trouble, but only for the language, not for speaking up.

And that's were most discussions of hot topics goes awry..not respecting the other person. I have strong beliefs, that I know in my heart are true, and it is natural and right to want to share them with others. But that does NOT give me the right to brow-beat and harass. Having said that, I have seen and experienced non-Christians who go out of their way to attack my beliefs. What people of all faiths, and political leanings, need to recognize, is that we aren't all going to agree all the time, and that discussion is only discussion when all parties are ok with that. Even heated debate is fine, so long as it doesn't sink to personal attacks. At some point, everyone involved has to laugh, shake hands, and cool off.

Ronny said:
I was in mortgage Ops for 10 years and I got pretty burnt out on hearing about everyone's money woes. I still help close friends but I ran screaming from the bank a year ago and try not to go back more than is absolutely required.

The pleasure that I get from talking about money is mostly that I enjoy helping people. My friends are mostly graduating university and entering the work world in the next year or so, and they don't know a damn thing about mortgages, RRSP's, Investing. It's nice to be able to answer those questions. Especially since I have some hangups about not being a university grad.

I'm sick of jerks who think they can do what they want with impunity.

I'm sitting first in a left-turn lane, waiting for the green arrow. Asshole pulls in front of me so that he doesn't have to sit in line. He actually smiled and nodded at me!

I cut his ass off and nearly ran him into the curb.

jerkoff actually blew his horn at me.

leckert said:
I'm sick of jerks who think they can do what they want with impunity.

I'm sitting first in a left-turn lane, waiting for the green arrow. Asshole pulls in front of me so that he doesn't have to sit in line. He actually smiled and nodded at me!

I cut his ass off and nearly ran him into the curb.

jerkoff actually blew his horn at me.

When dh and I were dating, and first married, he drove a '74 Gremlin(lovingly dubbed the Purple People Eater) and it didn't have lighter, just a button where the lighter was supposed to be. Whenever other drivers behaved stupidly, we'd take turns pushing that button to NUKE em! :D Thanks for the reminder of happy times!

abecedarian said:
When dh and I were dating, and first married, he drove a '74 Gremlin(lovingly dubbed the Purple People Eater) and it didn't have lighter, just a button where the lighter was supposed to be. Whenever other drivers behaved stupidly, we'd take turns pushing that button to NUKE em! :D Thanks for the reminder of happy times!

Cute...

It just seems the same to me as saying "Shoot" when you relly want to scream $#&^%!!@##@!!!

Just not the same satisfaction!

Ronny said:
I totally agree, and I'll add that in return I don't expect to turn believers away from their path. Shan't keep me from explaining to them why I don't share their beliefs if they ask me why I'm aiming for hell.

The other day I was singing at a wedding (I sing in a church choir) and one of my friends from the choir and myself happened to start talking about how weddings are conducted nowadays, and I stated that the current standard was waaaay too much hassle for my tastes, I'm not a romantic, rather the opposite, so me getting married one day will probably happen at City Hall - if ever. So the substitute organist happens to overhear us and asks me why I didn't want to get married in a church - well, because I don't believe in God - nothing novel about that, I should think.

And then he replies, not with a question as to why I don't believe or something of the sort, but with the statement that "That's weird." Uhm excuse me? And then he proceeds to tell me that I can't sing in a church choir if I don't believe in God, whereas it seems to me I'm doing quite fine having now done so for about 14 years. I really wanted to kill him right then and there, one thing is disagreeing with me about religion - that's fair enough, but insulting my beliefs after having entered a conversation uninvited, and then telling me what I can and can't do. At least my friend with whom I had orginally conversed agreed with me about his obnoxiousness - whatever his beliefs.

This situation can apply to anything of course. I hate when people worm their way into a discussion uninvited. If you're sitting at the same dinner table it's alright - you can expect that everyone might have something to say, but just elbowing themselves in there - I can't stand it. I usually comment along the lines of: "Excuse me would you mind if WE continue OUR conversation elsewhere while you're talking?" If I'm not too angry, then I can't keep my temper reigned in and end up insulting people :eek:

Back