• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Too many pages?

I also would have to say that a book can't be too long, it can only be too boring.

I am another who failed to finish The Stand. I was in a Stephen King phase for a while, and it was the last book that I attempted to read. I read until I was about halfway through the book, then I either got bored or distracted and never went back to it. The Talisman was one of the first really big books that I ever read, and it didn't seem like it had that many pages because the story was so good.

I sometimes don't start a book, if I know it's long and difficult to understand. That's why from some years I can't made up my mind and start Ulisses. I'm not sure I would be able to stand his style for so many pages. That also includes Proust.

SillyWabbit said:
Raven, I believe that was a challenge :D

Get typing! It was nice knowing you :D

Oh no you don't Wabbit, I'm still walking funny from the last time you sucked me in.. :eek: ...so to speak.

RaVeN

I couldn't continue The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny because the characters were lifeless and unlikable, the dialogue was inane and I was only 100 pages in.

I've only read 1 book of his, A Night in the Lonsome October. It was a short book but still afterwards I found it to be a waste of my time.

RaVeN

Depend on books if it is good, I read non stop. If I read rubbish book that I will leave it for other time as same time I start read new book. The worst book is 'Insomina' by Stephen King. It takes forever to read it!!

Kaz said:
The worst book is 'Insomina' by Stephen King. It takes forever to read it!!

Is that the one where the scary fearsome evil people turn out to be midgets with scissors? That was a pretty awful book, I agree.

(and that's not a spoiler, so no one shout at me)

Litany said:
Is that the one where the scary fearsome evil people turn out to be midgets with scissors? That was a pretty awful book, I agree.

(and that's not a spoiler, so no one shout at me)

Yes, that's one. :D

As others have said, it's not the number of pages, it's the quality of the writing that counts. I've read 100-page books that have seemed interminable! :rolleyes:

Ell

Ell said:
As others have said, it's not the number of pages, it's the quality of the writing that counts. I've read 100-page books that have seemed interminable! :rolleyes:

Ell

The Scarlet Letter was a great book and wasn't too long, but I could not finish it. :(

Number of pages doesn't affect me at all - I read the LotR (1200 pages) in its entirety in about a month, and I just finished Cryptonomicon (900 pages) in two months time (I'm a slow reader) and I loved both of them.

The thing with short books is their price - if I can buy a 1000 page novel for a certain amount of money, then I'll be buggered if I have to pay that same amount of money for a 90 page book. So, when i'm browsing through the bookshops, I always look for the heftier books.

Cheers, Martin
Grin.gif

Martin said:
The thing with short books is their price - if I can buy a 1000 page novel for a certain amount of money, then I'll be buggered if I have to pay that same amount of money for a 90 page book. So, when i'm browsing through the bookshops, I always look for the heftier books.

Cheers, Martin
Grin.gif
I am the EXACT same way. There used to be a used bookstore that sold selected old paperbacks for $.25 each. I'd go in there and pick up the fattest books, even if I'd never heard of the author or title. Didn't always find great stories, but that's how I got introduced to Robert Ludum, among others -- so that "impulse" to get the most bang for the buck works for me. :)

Why do I always hear people talking about books for 25p, books for 50p, books for one quid?

Over here, even in a discount-store, I pay up to several euro's for even the smallest book!

Damn!

Cheers, Martin
Grin.gif

Back