• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tragedy in London

Obviously it was a great shame an innocent life was taken, but the police can take no chances. He was asked to stop and instead jumped a ticket barrier and ran onto a crowded train - those actions are not that of an innocent person and they could not risk the chance, the day after four failed bombs, that he wasn't attempting to carry out another attack. As Kenny said, it does explain why he refused to stop and it was a tragic misunderstanding.

As an aside, they have named two of the suspects and are holding one of these in custody. He was apprehended with a taser stun gun. They have recently arrested 9 more people, thogh none of these are suspected to be the actual bombers.

Nine more held by terror police

All this must be very difficult for the police. I’m sure they don’t want to hurt anybody, but they must be very concerned for the lives of all the innocent people whose lives they’re charged with protecting. I hope they’re getting good support.

I believe the officer (there may have been more than one) who fired the shots has been given leave.

There is an independent inquiry into the shooting itself, as happens with all such cases. Not that there tend to be many examples of fatal Police shootings over here, although there are some:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4711619.stm

I guess the moral of the story is don’t run onto a tube train carrying a table leg…

Kenny Shovel said:
I believe the officer (there may have been more than one) who fired the shots has been given leave.

Him, and his family, have been given a holiday which was authorised by Sir Iain Blair.

Kenny Shovel said:
I guess the moral of the story is don’t run onto a tube train carrying a table leg…

I think the moral of this story is - if an armed police officer is pointing a gun at you, you do whatever the hell it is that they want you to do. Especially with the current climate being as it is, tension must be pretty high in the city.

I think him having 'leave' is a polite way to term the fact that he has been suspended pending an investigation into the incident, which as someone said is standard procedure in fatal shootings.

Phil

The police officer must feel awful over the killing of an innocent man,but at the end of the day he was doing his job! and he proberly needs time away to get his head around it!

phil_t said:
I think the moral of this story is - if an armed police officer is pointing a gun at you, you do whatever the hell it is that they want you to do.

I'm with you, Phil.

The end of a gun is not the place to be presenting your defense.

The loss is tragic, but, in my opinion, not horrific nor unjustified. In the moment, the officer did not have the advantage of the knowledge we have now, and the atmosphere was "charged" to say the least. In that situation, I would think that if I saw an officer pointing a gun at me I would simply prostrate with my hands out and scream "DON'T SHOOT! DON'T SHOOT!"

I hope the officer(s) are not punished for this, as it would severely hinder the entire force from doing their jobs.

leckert said:
I hope the officer(s) are not punished for this, as it would severely hinder the entire force from doing their jobs.
Perhaps in more ways than one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4607377.stm

To quote "After the second inquest returned a verdict of unlawful killing, the two officers were suspended - sparking an unofficial "strike" by their colleagues in the Met's SO19 firearms unit. More than 100 laid down their weapons over the case."

Well it looks like the four suspects of the failed bombings on July 21st have all been apprehended :) They already had one suspect in custody and now one has been arrested in Italy, the other two in London.

Back