• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Trip to Chernobyl/Pripyat (LOTS of pics 56k go home)

This "grabber" was in the vehicle graveyard and very hot at almost 100 microSievert per hour. To put that in perspective, if you were a nuclear worker and you stood beside this for 200 hours, you would receive your allowable dose for one year.

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_TFS_Germany_20eb84146fb06e47bc4ee7a93527d0dd7e.png
ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_TFS_Germany_20d7d481923483adf61f629ffdacfa63e6.png

View of Unit 4 from town.
ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_TFS_Germany_20fba13593a923f93bba73f4fe419842d8.png

Fascinating, Sparky! Many thanks, for a tour that I'll undoubtedly never get to take.

So do you glow in the dark now?

Fantastic pictures, Sparky. I recently read Svetlana Aleksievich's Voices From Chernobyl, based on interviews with people who worked or lived in the Chernobyl area before and after the disaster, and these pictures really creep me out right now. But a great book nonetheless.

I've glowed for years, beer good.

From the tour company I picked up a book that is chock-full of photos of the cleanup effort. Sadly it is Ukrainian but there is little text.

Wow man, that's incredibly fascinating. How did you come about taking this tour? Is it an exclusive thing with a waiting list or what? Did you go over there just for this?

Wow man, that's incredibly fascinating. How did you come about taking this tour?

I had known about the tour for years and I finally found myself in a position to go. That and professional curiosity.

Is it an exclusive thing with a waiting list or what?

Anyone can go. You just need to sign up.

Did you go over there just for this?

Yes, I went to Ukraine especially for this but I did spend 3 days in Kyiv.

Awesome pictures, really. I love that picture of the red mushroom near the end, as though someone took a bite out of it.

Thanks for sharing, what an awesome experience! I remember when that happened and how the Soviets tried to down play the incident as being something that wasn't really all that serious. Sad to see the city like it is, a testament to us all really.

All of that radiation, where is CDA when you need him?:whistling:

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to go and see the wrecked sites of Chernobyl in person ever since watching a special on the place on the Discovery Channel but I doubt that will ever happen.

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to go and see the wrecked sites of Chernobyl in person ever since watching a special on the place on the Discovery Channel but I doubt that will ever happen.

If you want to go, start saving now. It used to be that as part of the tour that you would see the large vehicle graveyard, Chernobyl harbor, meet some of the resettlers, etc. but one by one the Ukrainian government has started disallowing access (you can still speak to resettlers but you have to arrange for it in advance and pay) to places. At this rate the whole area might be shut off to tourists in the next 5 years or so.

One question about the books--I suppose they are very good and radiated good vibes?:whistling:

Back