• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Violent Sports

Should dangerous / violent sports be banned?

• Total voters
Also, please specify as to what you think is a violent sport. Does it require fatalities to earn the label? Or is it just the fighting sports like boxing, mma, and the like?

As for my opinion, I don't think they should be banned. Participants of the sports are well aware of the risks and it's not like anyone is forcing them to do it. Moreover, I don't think there's a sport of which the aim is to fatally injure your opponent.

I take it that hunting and non-catch-and-release fishing do not apply to this thread?

Moreover, I don't think there's a sport of which the aim is to fatally injure your opponent.

Maybe not fatally injure but in a lot of sports where there is contact the goal to injure or maim is present and exercised.

I am all for sports that include violence.

I don't consider commercial crab fishing a sport. Do you?

I agree it's dangerous though.

I say there's too much mamby-pambying. Bring back duelling. As long as everyone's aware of the risks and taking part of their own free will, why not?

I have taught and competed in martial arts for forty years, and also played football in high school and college. I think sports, whether violent or otherwise, are one of the main areas for enjoyment, exercise and culture. They are one of the main ways for children to learn about qualities of teamwork, fair play and the importance of hard work and courage. I used to work as mentor and boxing coach in ghetto in New York and it helped young kids from turning to drugs and crime. If sports such as boxing and football are banned the whole society will turn into a bunch of fat, wimpy people fit only for clicking buttons on a computer. when I was young we played football every day, whether rain or sun or snow, and it was great fun nad exercise. Now my nephew sits in front of computer and watches electronic football players. He is only fifteen but already cannot run two blocks without getting out of breath. I worry what his health will be like in twenty years.

All contact sports with the aim to injure I consider dangerous and all sport with contact can be considered violent, your trying to subdue another person, which is violence.

It is not violence it is healthy competition. In football, the aim is not to injure it is to score or prevent other team from scoring. The rules are made to prevent injury as much as possible. of course people get injured, but this is not the intent. martial arts as a sport is not intended to injure. martial arts for combat or defense are another category.

All contact sports with the aim to injure I consider dangerous and all sport with contact can be considered violent, your trying to subdue another person, which is violence.

I don't think fighting sports are designed to hurt someone as much as possible. The fighters try to subdue each other in a controlled way.

Do you think these sports should be banned, though?

As I said, I taught and competed in these sports msot of my life and though I am now 57 years old I still train every day. These sprots were among the most enjoyable and fun parts of my life. It is sad to think people are thinking of banning them. People should be able to choose for themselves if they wish to engage in these sports. I guarantee millions more people die from eating McDonalds food and drinking beer than from boxing. But these things are not banned and I do not think they should be. This is fascism. Boxing and football, despite the possibility of being injured, have great health benefits. What is the benefit of smoking cigareetes. But they are not banned.

Back