• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vote for March 2012 BOTM

Vote for March 2012 BOTM

• The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Atonement by Ian McEwan

• The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Schindler's Ark by Thomas Keneally (aka Schindler's List)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • The Godfather by Mario Puzo

• To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess your only option at this point is to cover yourself in plastic wrap then to protect all that sweetness. Don't forget your tinfoil hat though, the folks at the grocery store LOVE mine. ;)

Moderators please check the above account IP address as I sense someone account creating a faux a/c and log jamming in order to log votes and sway influence. That's highly undemocratic.

Moderators please check the above account IP address as I sense someone account creating a faux a/c and log jamming in order to log votes and sway influence. That's highly undemocratic.

I concur with Will. Whoever created the above account is obviously of low moral fibre and started said faux-account merely to get people to vote for their preferred book. That's an underhand tactic, and is terrible.

Might I add that anyone in any doubt as to the excellence of The Hound of the Baskervilles, please read my book on the subject:

acontent_contingent.co.uk_hund2.jpg

If you're under the impression that it's friendly here then you're sorely mistaken.

Have you seen how our moderators treat the average user? Utter disdain doesn't even come into it.

LMAO. You guys are in trouble now. And for the record, that aint my IP nor did I create an account. I suggest you apologize to Miss Latteyo78, you were pretty rude.

Yes, Landslide and Beer good please apologise at once. Especially you Landslide. For putting together the time and effort to make this poll and thus making BAR a community worth hanging out in. How dare she....

Now now, don't be like that. If Miss Latteyo78 came cuz her mom asked her to then you guys just slagged someone's daughter. Geez. All because you MIGHT not get your way?

I'm campaigning now! Come on people, vote Princess Bride for a lighthearted and fun read. Action, romance, humour, giants, princes and humble milkmaids...what more could you ask for in a novel?

I'm campaigning now! Come on people, vote Princess Bride for a lighthearted and fun read. Action, romance, humour, giants, princes and humble milkmaids...what more could you ask for in a novel?

Supernatural intrigue, mystery, ancient family curses, England, Sherlock Holmes, Dr Watson, an escaped convict, forbidden love, Devon moorland... Goldman's stuff sounds kind of derivative to me.

Supernatural intrigue, mystery, ancient family curses, England, Sherlock Holmes, Dr Watson, an escaped convict, forbidden love, Devon moorland... Goldman's stuff sounds kind of derivative to me.

Derivative is bad? Come on Will, you'll have to do better than that. Basically what we're debating is dark scary fantasy or light gentle fantasy with a soupçon of humour to boot. Aint no humour in Hound. Since we're looking at books that have become movies I think PB is the better choice simply because the movie follows it closely and I suspect more folks have seen PB movie than Hound.

Gotta be honest, if I'm rereading a book, then I'm voting for one I enjoyed over one I found tedious. I'm not saying Hound doesn't have its good points. Obviously since it has been the model for so much recent literature it has its place. I am just up for something lighter.

Winter is dark enough without adding to the gloom with dark reading.

Ain't no humour in hound? Please. Conan Doyle is British and we invented humour. There's a whole scene revolving around the escapade of mistaken identity... why my sides could've split I chortled and guffawed so hard...

Winter? Gloom? Please.... do we really need to 'rage, rage against the dying of the light' so bad that we pass up on a classic?

Winter? Gloom? Please.... do we really need to 'rage, rage against the dying of the light' so bad that we pass up on a classic?

Yes, yes we do. How many classics do we need to read here? Was last month not Agatha Christie? Again, not knocking the classics, just saying I suspect our readership for BOTM would be higher if we made the effort to be SLIGHTLY more up to date.

Topic shift - Will how much daylight do you see at this time of year?

O! A war is on! Even rumours about duplicate accounts. I'm going to grab my popcorn and watch from a distance. :devil:

O! A war is on! Even rumours about duplicate accounts. I'm going to grab my popcorn and watch from a distance. :devil:
Here, have a glass of Dr. Pepper to go with your popcorn:flowers:

ABC slinks off to her corner muttering to herself: 'Now why didn't I think of putting my kids up to padding the vote for To Kill a Mockingbird! WHY????'

Yes, yes we do. How many classics do we need to read here? Was last month not Agatha Christie? Again, not knocking the classics, just saying I suspect our readership for BOTM would be higher if we made the effort to be SLIGHTLY more up to date.

Topic shift - Will how much daylight do you see at this time of year?

It depends if they let me out of my box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back