• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wandering books. Does this happen to you?

abecedarian

I was just telling (ok, complaining) to my hubby this morning, about how my current book had gone missing yesterday. It was in the bathroom, with my bookmark plunked plainly in the middle to prove: A. Someone is reading this, and B. Someone isn't done yet. It isn't as though I hadn't mentioned this to the kids in the last 24 hours..I quizzed them all, specially the 22 year old who is the usual culprit when my books go missing.(You're all catching on that this is a normal occurance around here, right?) My 12 year old walks out of the room, is gone for a couple of minutes and comes back in with Blue Like Jazz in his hand. He found it in the 4 and 6 year olds' room! Like either of them could read this sucker!!

So, am I the only one this stuff happens to? Do your books ever sprout legs and walk? How do you handle these situations?

Yess!:eek: I:eek: bought a book by Neal Boortz and haven't found the damn thing since, and that was three months ago!!. I can't prove it, but I think I have highly literate mice in my home.

I don't have that problem. I have been known to misplace a book, but it doesn't happen very often and I have only myself to blame. I'm still trying to figure out what I did with Amazonia after I read it.

LOL I know I have more people under my roof than the average mama bear, but I DO try to find these books before blowing my stack..With some titles, I KNOW there isn't some kid holed up with a flashlight-like What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Perimenopause..I searched the house over many times, and tried to think who I might have loaned it too, and just couldn't think. Finally, I bought replacement copy, and just days after it arrived, a friend from church gave me the first copy I'd loaned to her more than a year before! I'd completely forgotten. I was so embarrassed, I'd even called a different friend to check if I could have possibly passed it to her :eek: This was not the first occurance either! Sometimes I think I need my own keeper:rolleyes:

My books used to go missing when my brother was living with us. I'd just pop my book on my bedside table to go to the toilet or to have tea, and when I got back it would be gone :eek: I'd usually find it again when I went into my brother's room - he never was very clever about keeping the theft secret.

My library books go missing all the time. My oldest girls are pretty bad about it, but the 22 year old is the worst. You'd think she would know better. She's bad about taking cds too.

I confess! *sob* I'm the one who "shifts" books in our home. Ok, so it's just the two of us in a one-room apartment, but books keep moving from his tbr shelf to mine. He has far more books that he intends to read than he realizes.

I don't have that problem. I'm the only avid reader in my house so far (oldest dd shows some promise, though). I do have difficulty with my bookmarks flying out of my books, usually my highly decorated ones. I tend to find those folded many times on the floor of my sons' room. I think my youngest ds is the culprit....

SFG, my husband has this same problem, and unfortunately, it is because he has actually forgotten the item in the store. :rolleyes:

SFG, my husband has this same problem, and unfortunately, it is because he has actually forgotten the item in the store. :rolleyes:

Oh, I've never done that!. I've literally seen the book in question on a counter or bookshelf and have come back to find it missing.:eek: My first theory was that the wife was tossing them, but she would be open and honest about-which leads me to the mice.

Nobody in my house touches my books without express permission. They value their lives too much. :mad:

im the only reader in my house so no one even notices the book on top of the tv or the one plopped open face down next to the microwave. i guess you could say the books in my house are visible only to me....except when i accidentally leave them in my moms room. then they all of a sudden come flying into my room courtesy of my dear mama. my stuff is safe as long as my stuff does not touch her stuff.:)

No - I'm the only reader in my household. And if one does move, I can guarantee that my neat-freak boyfriend has popped it on the bookshelf, and not on the computer/bed/couch/floor where I left it. :rolleyes:

Nope... there is only 2 of us in the house, so the books tend to be where I put them. But then I'm pretty careful where I put them, because I misplace things very easily.

ds

I've left books in the car, but I usually find them-usually the last place I look! My problem is bookmarks-it drives me crazy when I grope around my chair for it and can't find it. :rolleyes:

Halo said:
Nobody in my house touches my books without express permission. They value their lives too much. :mad:

Yeah, but we're talking about books that spontaneously combust.;)

Miss Shelf said:
My problem is bookmarks-it drives me crazy when I grope around my chair for it and can't find it. :rolleyes:
Agreed. This happens to me all the time, and for the life of me I can't understand where they go. I lose at least one a week - it's rediculous :eek:

Ah, my solution for bookmarks - everytime you get them for presents (after you shoot the person who gave them to you, that is), or when bookstores hand them out to you, or (gasp!) you buy them yourself, then just dump them all in one place. Lose one? Go get another from the bookmark bank.

My designated bookmark bank has bookmarks I don't even remember getting.

ds

When it comes to bookmarks, I just buy a thousand of them and after I lose five hundred the first day, I still have more left over to mark my spot.:D

I tend to leave my books in a place where I know I will find them easily again when I want them, like the kitchen table. But they always move themselves, miraculously, to some other place where I can't find them and have to ask, "Has anyone seen my book?" The thing is that they are usually picked up and dumped on my dressing table or computer desk and then my place is lost because they lose my book mark, which is usually just a bit of paper. It would be so much easier if people would just leave things alone. One book on a table does not make a mess.

Back