• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Warp 9, Engage!

No its not! Nobody has ever observed those particles. Also, they are at the sub atomic level ( IF ) they exist :)

of course they have not observed those particles, but read the page I linked and it explains via mathematics how it is possible to exist faster than the speed of light, not for us as we exist in a reality below the speed of light.

So the question 'Is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light?'

The answer is Yes.

Is it possible for us to travel faster than light?

The answer is No.

The question needs to be qualified a bit more I think

I really don't see how anybody can say anything is impossible. 100 years ago the idea of humans flying was thought to be impossible, now we have an orbiting space station, and robot rovers on Mars, and where's the first Explorer now...way out past Pluto right?

The speed of sound was thought to be a "wall" that would destroy you when you hit it...now we have land vehicles that have pushed through the "wall".

If we did not have the fossils, and bones to prove it, would you have ever believed that a few hundred-thousand years ago the Earth was ruled by dinasaurs?

Light is the limit of what we can understand now. That does not mean that there is not another realm of understanding just waiting to be discovered.

I say it's possible. Whether or not we'll see it in our lifetime is another story. Maybe it's technology brought to us by other means..... :eek:

Carlos said:
of course they have not observed those particles, but read the page I linked and it explains via mathematics how it is possible to exist faster than the speed of light, not for us as we exist in a reality below the speed of light.

So the question 'Is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light?'

The answer is Yes.

Is it possible for us to travel faster than light?

The answer is No.

The question needs to be qualified a bit more I think

Ah yeah that makes more sense :)

Information has been proved to travel faster at the sub atomic level. Also it's an old idea ( as I said in a previous post ) that it's possible to travel a vast distance via a kind of sub space.

You are right, if the question is can we physically break the speed of light ourselves then the answer is no.

Motokid said:
I really don't see how anybody can say anything is impossible. 100 years ago the idea of humans flying was thought to be impossible, now we have an orbiting space station, and robot rovers on Mars, and where's the first Explorer now...way out past Pluto right?

The speed of sound was thought to be a "wall" that would destroy you when you hit it...now we have land vehicles that have pushed through the "wall".

If we did not have the fossils, and bones to prove it, would you have ever believed that a few hundred-thousand years ago the Earth was ruled by dinasaurs?

Light is the limit of what we can understand now. That does not mean that there is not another realm of understanding just waiting to be discovered.

I say it's possible. Whether or not we'll see it in our lifetime is another story. Maybe it's technology brought to us by other means..... :eek:

See, this is what I was trying to say with my Bannister comment. What we know today will be ignorance tomorrow.

We can say that superluminous travel (I think that's a cool word!) is not possible at the moment. We can say that, given what we know, or think we know, the light 'barrier' is currently unachievable. We can say that, based on theories and calculations light speed is not possible. We cannot, however, say that it is, and will always be, impossible. Although there may be more "data" to show that we cannot, this is all based on speculative physics, and unobserved, exptrapolated findings. As I understand it, we haven't even physically observed an atom. We think they exist because of how things around them behave, but we have never seen one? Einstein (et al) have developed some awesome theories, and were smart enough to have the calculations to prove them, but they are still only theories. In my mind, nothing is etched in stone.

One time I sat down to watch Alf, and I knew the ending once the show started. Did I travel through time?

Motokid said:
I was thinking more like Wal-Mart, or McDonalds or something like that...

This could result in one getting one's Big Mac before one ordered it -- which would be a problem if one were a vegetarian -- but details such as these could be addressed at a later date -- if indeed there is such a thing as 'a later date'...

However, it's my understanding that oftentimes the people one speaks to at these fast food places are not actually present in that little box, nor are they physically present in the aforementioned fast food building, nor are they even present in this country, for that matter. That could slow things down a bit., but probably not enough to prevent the delivery of the dreaded Big Mac.

And then, Wal-Mart might present some unique problems of its own.

Hm.

Don't pay any attention to me, I'm just thinkin' out loud.

sirmyk said:
One time I sat down to watch Alf, and I knew the ending once the show started. Did I travel through time?

That would be traveling through a quagmire of inept and unimaginative programming, but I don't think any space/time barriers were broken.

The real achievement would have been if that show had been cancelled before it aired. That would have been genius!

Even Eensteen, in all his wisdom, and with all his hair, couldn't stop that show! A regular juggernaut of stupidity!

Motokid said:
I was thinking more like Wal-Mart, or McDonalds or something like that...

They do have the self checkout at WalMart, now.

Just so I would get the total Walmart experience, I misrung two items, and turned on the flashing light. Then I counted my change wrong, and left the bag sitting in the little merry-go-round. I got pissed at myself, snatched up the bag and went directly to customer service. I told the Assistant Store Manager that the cashier on aisle 12 was a jerk, and an idiot.

I left him standing there scratching his hairless head and wondering if I knew that aisle 12 was a self-serve aisle.

:D

StillILearn said:
You're lucky you didn't get arrested by the Wal-Mart police!
Are they anything as morbid as King's Library Police?

Maybe we all experience time travel... deja vu? Maybe deja vu isn't the remembrance of something we already did in life, but the remembrance of what ourselves in another existence did in that person's alternate existence...

sirmyk said:
Are they anything as morbid as King's Library Police?

Maybe we all experience time travel... deja vu? Maybe deja vu isn't the remembrance of something we already did in life, but the remembrance of what ourselves in another existence did in that person's alternate existence...

I doubt the "WalMart Police" would have the gumption.

and you are making my head hurt!

Back