• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Weirdest Book

Hi all,

What would you say is the weirdest book you have ever read? It can be anything from the content to how the book is written ... anything at all.

Mine might me The Dice Man ... or maybe House of Leaves.
Anybody else?

Dianetics.........:eek: Though I followed it up with Bertrand Russell, so no permanent damage was done.:D

One of the strangest books I've ever read is Adventures in Time and Space With Max Maxwell by Pat Murphy. The story is set on a cruise ship and centers on three famous writers of three different genres. I don't remember all the details, and I don't want to ruin the book if someone wants to read it, but the whole plot revolves around how each writer affects reality as they work on their books..so things get very very wierd rather quickly. I liked it..so I guess that makes me wierd too:D

abecedarian said:
One of the strangest books I've ever read is Adventures in Time and Space With Max Maxwell by Pat Murphy. The story is set on a cruise ship and centers on three famous writers of three different genres. I don't remember all the details, and I don't want to ruin the book if someone wants to read it, but the whole plot revolves around how each writer affects reality as they work on their books..so things get very very wierd rather quickly. I liked it..so I guess that makes me wierd too:D
You weird???? Naw, you are a good Kahesana. :) ;)

On second thought, I guess you can be a good Kahesana and weird at the same time. :)

Back on topic. I have never really thought of any book as being weird. Lots of books are "different" but I have not read any that I thought were really weird.

I didn't mind House of Leaves.

However, the bible did have some strange areas and I shan't elucidate either.

Some of my nominations:

Total Loss Farm by Ray Mungo
At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien
The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien

The Woman Who Gave Birth To Rabbits - Emma Donoghue

I picked it up second-hand without knowing anything about it or its author because its peculiar topic attracted me - and indeed it does have great potential. The author has through her work as a historian come across a multitude of anecdotes, funny tidbits of information and the like. And from time to time she sat down to write down what the stories behind these little things could have been. This has really great potential if you ask me, thus I picked it up.

Sadly the result is a collection of short stories written in fairly unimpressive language all of which range in the categories from 'Okay' to 'Outright Bad', though most are placed in the category I call 'Utterly Insignificant' also known as 'Wet Cardboard'. So much potential and I am so disappointed. Some of the stories evoked a response in me, though not because of the story, only because of the historical facts they were based on, I might as well have read a history book.

It's a weird book in its concept. Possibly the weirdest I've ever read. But I must impress on you all that it is not worth the paper it is printed on. Once I have read all the short stories I will proceed to review the lot in my booklog. I am stubborn, I will get through it even if I have to shoot myself through the head to do so. And it will receive the review it deserves once I'm done.

Sometimes I hate my stubbornness.

Back