• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Welcome To The New Book & Reader

Brent W

In order to progress our forum and keep up with the times, we are now running a new forum software. The basics are all here that were in our previous software but the site will now be a lot faster to browse.

Take some time and poke around and feel free to ask any questions you have here and I will be glad to help you in anyway that I can.

Avatar size seems to have changed so if your avatar looks "fuzzy", then you might want to redo it.

Two things:

1. Private Messages are now called "Conversations". If you want to send a Private Message to someone, click on the Start a Conversation link under their name.

2. The way the post reply box is set up, if you copy the words of a link, when you paste the text, it also creates a hyperlink. If that's what you want to do, then great. If it's not then be sure to be careful when pasting text.

Example: I wanted to copy the "Start a Conversation" text below my avatar to put into this message so I highlighted the text, copied the text, then when I pasted the text I got this: Start a Conversation and everything I type after it is associated with that link.

You can see all the formatting if you click the stylized A/A icon in the upper right of the reply box. That switches between Rich text and Normal text. Sadly, if you sue the Normal text option, all the formatting and smiley options that you were used to vanish and you will have to rely on your knowledge of BBCode and smiley names to properly format your message. For now, I recommend composing your message in the default rich text format then before posting switch to normal text and edit accordingly.

If that seemed confusing, I apologize.

I don't know if this is going to be the default set-up but if it is then be diligent when pasting text with an associated URL.

Your avatar is right above your name. It's the same river and trees image it has been for as long as I can remember.

If you're having trouble being patient, we can fix that.
burns.gif

Your avatar is right above your name. It's the same river and trees image it has been for as long as I can remember.

Impressive! I didn't remember it. Certainly not having it pop up in my face at every turn. But my problem, not yours. Thanks.

I presume that you've disabled the showing of avatars or you are using a mobile device?

Well, as you say, it has been a long time, so maybe I did but don't remember. As for mobile device, no. Same plain ol' fashioned laptop setup here. But I'll figger it out.

Now, about blogs? Coming soon to a device near me?

My avatar was fuzzy, so I'll go with the pic I use on Ravelry..Beyond that, the new digs look nice and I'll enjoy getting used to how things work.

I see, or seem to not see, that replies of mine to posts do not show up under "What'sNew?" (Because I know what I posted and don't have to be told, yadda yadda, as other forums with similar practice have claimed?)

Why would you be notified that you replied to a thread? Or, did I read your query incorrectly?

When you just posted your reply to my previous post, this thread showed up under What's New with your name in the right hand column.
When I posted my previous post to this thread, it did not show up under what's New with my name in the right hand column -- as i think it always did under the old forum. Why would I be interested? To see if there had been any replies to my own posts withough having to look through every single thread to see if I had a recent post in any of them.

Well, I don't know what settings you made for yourself but if you select the "Watch Thread" option (which seems to be the default) then you will be notified via email of a reply that occurs after your post.

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_bar_watchthread.png

Then again, if your post killed a thread, there won't ever be any replies.

Thread killing is a private joke of yours, right?

Looking in my email is a long way round to seeing if there is anything interesting on BAR.

But even shorter: The threads I was interested in disappear from my screen, while the threads I had no interest in replying to continue to stare me in the face. Super!

Easy solution: not log in. Then I'll see the threads where I replied (I assume) as well as all the others. And if I see a reason for posting, then I can log in. Otherwise skip on by. Should help with your bandwidth or server load, or sumpn'.

Back