• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What About Rankings?

Kahrey

I was curious as to whether or not yall had thought about ranks. If you don't know what I mean, I'll explain.

A rank would be a certaint title or whatever that is recieved underneath the username after reaching certain different post count numbers. Such as being something between posts 1 and 50, then something different between 50 and 100.

Just curious.

I've seen some ill effects from rankings on at least one other board where it turned into a competition among some to be the one with the most posts. This resulted in excessive numbers of aimless posts.

If the titles are fairly random, without any obvious heirarchy/superiority and if it were secret what number you had to reach for your title to change, then it might be fun.

Just my 2¢.

That sounds cool. Only the mods wouls know the ranks. But it depends on whether or not the mods would want to figure it out all their own or if the whole forum should pitch in a come up with it.

Here's an idea: anyone who's caught making senseless posts just to upgrade their ranking gets an evil title. Based on moderators' discretion and/or other members' complaints. Can't think of a really good evil title off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's someone creative enough to come up with one.

Rankings (and user reputations) is not implemented here. From what I've seen on other sites it can create a lot of friction between members with people just posting to get their count and rank increased.

Yeh but in my defence I am not a moderator, thus can behave in any unseemly manner I choose. Hah.

About rankings

How about ranking based on the quality and authority of posts?
The site owner and moderators probably know the reputation of many members by their thread queries and replies.
Rank by:
1) the accuracy of content or link included in the thread
2) usefulness of info given to other members
3) least number of unnecessary and band-width wasting posts to the entire site.
If it is too time consuming to check the accuracy of content, just go for the last suggestion. (although that may take many out of the game)
:cool:

I've been on more than one forum where user titles encourage members to spam. And then you get the entirely pointless 'milestone threads', 'My (insert ever so important number here) post!!!'

On some forums they work on some they don't, got them on my own forum. I don't tell people what the next one will be or when they'll hit it, and it can be fun to have that little element of surprise, however ultimately pointless it is. We also have a system where members can get their own custom user title dependent on their completion of a stupid task. Namely tributes to me. :D

For this forum, my opinion is mostly if it aint broke don't fix it. We work fine without user titles. Ranking people according to reputation sounds an awful lot of work. One of the worst forums I've ever been on had a system where each member could rate every other member out of 5, and then that rating sat under a person's name for all to see. Led to a lot of retaliation voting and was a very aggressive forum.

If people really need user titles, then how about when they reach a certain number of posts they get to pick a custom title of their very own (don't know how easy/hard that is on vBulletin), they get one pick and that's that. They're stuck with that title or they go back to the old 'Member'. Otherwise, with this many members, you're just making work for yourself.

On the forum I post mostly on, it works nicely, but we are also a very friendly community. The ranks are given automatically, but there is also the option for custom titles.

It is merely a suggestion, and thought I'd share.

No not at all. I didn't mean for it to be taken that way. It was said that sometimes it can cause tension and arguments, I was stating that the reason it doesn't where I post more is because we are all friendly. I'm sorry, I should have made that clearer, that's not at all what I meant.

:)

Back