• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What are you listening to Right now?

What style are Einstuerzende Neubauten, Stewart? I think I remember reading somewhere that they're/(s)he's your favourite band/artist.

I'm having a bit of a Grateful Dead session at the moment - consisting of the two songs by them I have: Box of Rain and Ripple.

Nosferatu Man said:
What style are Einstuerzende Neubauten, Stewart? I think I remember reading somewhere that they're/(s)he's your favourite band/artist.

The generic term for them is industrial although they are the only industrial band that I know who use any old scrap metal and sometimes elaborately created devices for percussion and accompany it with guitars and strings (sometimes) - it's soundscapes with lyrics. Sounds like oil dripping over a microphone, plastic bottles on a turntable, chain clattering against a sheet of metal, a cement mixer, electricity passed through a spring and bashed - these all have their own rhythms that make it all interesting and never the same.

An example of some instruments can be found here.

Most would call it crap - at first - because of the thought of it but they must be doing something right as they've been going for 25 years.

Wow, I like the sound of them. I saw a band playing bins and wheels and all sorts of stuff on the TV a while ago and thought it sounded pretty cool. I'll probably download some of their stuff if I can find it tomorrow. Have you got any recommendations for albums or songs? Soulseek here I come, tomorrow.

Just before I bid you all adieu for tonight I'll participate in the thread topic:

Previously: Thin Lizzy - Emerald
and now: Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Goodnight.

Nosferatu Man said:
I'll probably download some of their stuff if I can find it tomorrow. Have you got any recommendations for albums or songs?

But downloading songs is illegal unless through an legal vendor. :p

Some that spring to mind
  • Sabrina
  • Stella Maris
  • Die Explosion in Festspielhaus
  • Musentango
  • Ich gehe jetzt
  • Blume - there's an English version, a Japanese version, and a French version
  • Redukt
  • Ende Neu

Fairlane by Evergreen.

Now, I managed to download the whole of Einstürzende Neubauten's Perpetuum Mobile but have only listened to Ich gehe jetzt thus far. I thought it was okay, but a bit more 'mainstream-sounding' than I was expecting. I'll have to listen to the whole album though to get the full flavour of them. I also got two Nurse With Wound albums: Santoor Lena Bicycle and Who Can I Turn To Stereo? I've listened to both and I prefer Who Can I Turn To Stereo? They teamed up with another band to make Santoor Lena Bicycle didn't they? It still isn't the bins and wheels that I was expecting, though.

Whip Cream Bottle by Evergreen.

go further back and check out some of their early stuff. chance meeting on a dissecting table of a sewing machine and an umbrella was the first industrial album ever recorded. I think you might like it. it's more crude sounding. most of the early industrial and art-noise bands didn't age too well. if you had never heard of skinny puppy or sonic youth, I wouldn't recommend their newer albums. ****, sonic youth sounds like fleetwood mac nowadays. and skinny puppy has gone for a more obvious straightforward rock. I'm not dissing on any of these bands, it's nice to see that they're willing to try something new, but the depth of nurse with wound, as well as sp and sy, has become one-dimensional. they've lost the spark that made them truly great.

Trying to listen Bizet's Carmen but my sister's insisting guitar playing keeps coming back... that means that at the moment I'm listenig to the awsome Georges Bizet AND Biffy Clyro :confused:

A live concert of June of '44 playing at the Knitting Factory, New York, on the 8th of June, 1997 is on, and the current song is called Sharks and Sailors.

I haven't got hold of that Nurse With Wound album yet, Bobby. I did a search for it but the queue was pretty long and I was just about to come off my computer anyway. I'll probably end up getting it tomorrow because I just can't be bothered having Soulseek open today. I haven't heared of Skinny Puppy, by-the-way. What stuff of theirs would you recommend?

Welcome to the forum, Miss Moth. At first glance I had a funny feeling I hadn't seen that name around, and then on further inspection I realised that I definately haven't seen that name anywhere, in my entire life. I haven't heared of Biffy Clyro (although I have heared of Billy Clitheroe - are they similar?) but your present musical experience sounds pretty cool. That should be 'past' now. I'm 3 days too late with this message.

Nosferatu Man said:
I haven't got hold of that Nurse With Wound album yet, Bobby. I did a search for it but the queue was pretty long and I was just about to come off my computer anyway. I'll probably end up getting it tomorrow because I just can't be bothered having Soulseek open today. I haven't heared of Skinny Puppy, by-the-way. What stuff of theirs would you recommend?
I showed that nurse album to warm_enema once ... he said it gave him nightmares. when I told him I was making him a mixed cd for christmas, he requested that I not include anything on it from that album. so, I think you'll like it.

if you're interested in getting into skinny puppy, there are couple places you can start. vivisect vi is a classic among fans, but if you want their darkest most fucked up album, check out too dark park. it'll blow the socks right through your shoes. if that's not what you want right away, the process is also a good place to start, too, because it's their most straightforward pop album (other than their newest one). I'm afraid to force any of them on you. personally, I find myself listening to cleanse, fold and manipulate a lot, because it contains clips from all my favorite movies from the '70s and '80s, including the texas chainsaw massacre and uncle buck. the opening track, first aid, was the closest thing to a hit they ever had. that doesn't matter though, because they're an underground band. they don't write hit songs. so **** kmfdm and ministry, this is real industrial.

maybe a little too real.

Oh boy, I'm licking my lips with disgust here. I'll be back here tomorrow to cross-reference when I have Soulseek open. I haven't heared of KMFDM or Ministry, though, so that didn't really mean a thing to me.

Argh, I've got to bugger off. I'll be back tomorrow.

Back