• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What are you listening to Right now?

what I am listening too

The furious whirl of my laptop's fan, telling me that it'll burst into flames (like my last one did) pretty soon if I don't find a way of cooling it down.

Anyone here got a bucket of ice?

Nosferatu Man said:
Welcome to the forum, Miss Moth. At first glance I had a funny feeling I hadn't seen that name around, and then on further inspection I realised that I definately haven't seen that name anywhere, in my entire life. I haven't heared of Biffy Clyro (although I have heared of Billy Clitheroe - are they similar?) but your present musical experience sounds pretty cool. That should be 'past' now. I'm 3 days too late with this message.

never too late Nosferatu Sir... I've never heard Billy Clitheroe what kind of music is it?? Anyway, Biffy Clyro is a scottish band, and it's really hard to describe their music, first because there's a mixture of different elements and it really depends on each album since they tend to change an awful lot from one to the other, and second because I'm not really a big fan, I'm just forced to hear it since my sister plays it 24/7 around here...

Tortoise's Djed is playing in my ears.

I couldn't tell you what kind of music Billy Clitheroe is because I haven't heared him either! He might not even be a musician, but I think he is. I've just heared his name in the past.

I had a lot of things in my mind that I wanted to get into my message before I went yesterday, but I've completely forgotten what they were now. Hmm... Never mind - I'm going to get your gorgeous songs downloading now, Bobby. I'll report back when I can.

Oh boy, I dislike that song. I've currently got Polvo's Channel Changer in my mind.

I got Nurse With Wound's Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella and I quite like it. I also got Skinny Puppy's VIVISect VI and Too Dark Park. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I was gearing myself up for a pant spoiling as I started Too Dark Park playing, but I didn't find it as ridiculously dark and scary as I'd expected. I sort of prefer that one to VIVISect VI at the moment, but I haven't really got to grips with either album properly yet, and I might find myself changing my mind.

Polvo's The Curtain Remembers. You should check out Polvo, Bobby. I reckon the band they're most similar to are Sonic Youth.

while I'm waiting ...

Nosferatu Man said:
I got Nurse With Wound's Chance Meeting on a Dissecting Table of a Sewing Machine and an Umbrella and I quite like it. I also got Skinny Puppy's VIVISect VI and Too Dark Park. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I was gearing myself up for a pant spoiling as I started Too Dark Park playing, but I didn't find it as ridiculously dark and scary as I'd expected. I sort of prefer that one to VIVISect VI at the moment, but I haven't really got to grips with either album properly yet, and I might find myself changing my mind.
I think you'd appreciate that, except for maybe autechre, people who are composing electronic music still see what skinny puppy did ten years ago as being impossible to pull off today.

I am listening to all depecHe MODE albums (as a devotee fan that I am) and besides them Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Lara Fabian, Duran - Duran's new album and Erasure's new album!

Hey, a fellow Duranie! :D I like them and Depeche Mode too, but they are not getting much of a look in at the moment during my Morrissey obsession. :)

I'm being serenaded by Skinny Puppy's Tormentor.

Get yourself on Soulseek, Bobby. You'll be able to get all the Polvo songs you could care to imagine off there. I've heared of Autechre, but I haven't heared any of their music. Not for long, though - I've got their Cichli Suite album downloading. Was that a good choice? Yeah, I can absolutely appreciate that people see Skinny Puppy's music as being impossible to pull off today. I don't make electronic music now, and I've only made a very little bit in the past, and I don't know where I'd start if I was making Too Dark Park from scratch.

Skinny Puppy's Rash Reflection.

I'll check out soulseek tonight, nosferatu man, so feel free to throw any recommendations you want at me.

as for autechre albums, I've never even heard of cichli suite. it sounds kind of like a song off chiastic slide (cichli), so perhaps it's an ep? you're definitely throwing yourself into a very academic stage of autechre's career. they're so ridiculously hi-tech now that they sometimes use thousands of automated programs to produce a single sound. if you listen closely, you can hear hundreds of the sounds in all kinds of neat arrangements and patterns. they put so much work into what they compose, but they've alienated most of their fans, because it's not even music anymore, it's all math. if you want my opinion, tri repetae++ is the album that has the perfect balance of the two. you can always go further back if you want more "music", like incanabula, which darren aranofsky used in the soundtrack for pi, or forward for more math, like confield, if you're really into glitch music. let me know what you think.

The Pogues' Fairytale of New York is swinging into my sound holes.

I will do. I later found out that Cichli Suite is in fact an EP. I think it's pretty good. I got Amber earlier today, haven't listened to it all yet, but like what I've heared so far. As you like Autechre, you'll almost definately like Tortoise. Autechre remixed one of Tortoise's pieces (no singing - not a song) and made two seperate pieces out of it, which I downloaded before - but I don't like either of them, unfortunately. I was expecting it to be amazing but was really let down.

Stuff you should get:
  • Slint - Spiderland
  • Slint - Glenn/Rhoda EP
  • Slint - Tweez
  • Tortoise - TNT
  • Tortoise - Standards
  • Polvo - Today's Active Lifestyles
  • Squirrel Bait - Squirrel Bait EP
  • June of '44 - Four Great Points
  • June of '44 - Tropics and Meridians

you know, I heard a remix autechre did of killing game by skinny puppy last night, and I wasn't at all impressed. I'm wary of the remix game, tempting as it is to hear two of my favorite bands in one song.

I picked up millions now living will never die by tortoise last summer after I kept hearing people compare them to do make say think and godspeed! you black emperor. I thought the album was well done, but it's kind of like seeing the second or third season of the simpsons ... it felt like it could have been something better. they definitely don't sound like g!ybe, that's fo sho. but that's not important. what is important is that I'm on soulseek, so I don't have to cut myself and make risky purchases based on a 30 second sound clip anymore. I'll check those cds out now.

The Shipping News are performing How to Draw Horses from their 2001 LP, Very Soon and in Pleasant Company.

Nice one. Yeah, I love Millions Now Living Will Never Die, but I reckon TNT is my favourite and I sort of thought Standards might turn out to be your favourite. I love all their albums, though. I've got their latest, It's All Around You on Vinyl and I love that to pieces. I also love their debut album - named after themselves - but it isn't my favourite. I've got one Do Make Say Think song here, with me: Goodbye Enemy Airship. I don't know what album it's from, and I don't even think I've heared it all the way through yet, so I don't really know what I think of the band. As for Godspeed You! Black Emperor (wherever the '!' goes), I've got three of their songs here, and of the three, I like Sleep the best. Tortoise and GY!BE are certainly dissimilar, though.

Tortoise are pumping out Eros like nobody has done before.

It seems only fitting that my 1,000th post should mention Morrissey! :D

I am currently listening to his song Driving Your Girlfriend Home:

"So how did I end up
so deeply involved in
the very existence
I planned on avoiding?"

Sums up my life I think. :(

Back