• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What books do you re-read and why?

753C

I don't know if there is already a thread for this, but I thought it might make an interesting discussion.
What books have you re-read the most and why? Some people refuse to read anything twice. If you are of that disposition, explain why you don't re-read.

I find that I re-read The Trial by Kafka, Animal Farm and 1984 by Orwell. For some reason I always return to those books. I can't really offer a logical explanation other than that I relate to these works.

I have revisited 1984 as well. I think that is a book that deserves a fresh look every few years. I haven't re-read animal farm but I know I will at some point.

I re-read a book called How I Made $2 Million Dollars in the Stock Market by Nicolas Darvas. He showed that it really is possible to start with a small amount of money and make it big in the market, AND it can be done under difficult circumstances.

Back in the days when I wanted to be a competitive bodybuilder I would re-read Gorrilla Suit by Bob Paris. Again, another success story under extremely difficult circumstances. He was a homeless teen who became Mr. Universe.

I re-read The Wind In The Willows By Kenneth Graham and The Dark Is Rising Sequence By Susan Cooper. Clearly both are books of my childhood and I re-read them when I need comfort!

I have re-read The Princess Bride countless times. It's a comfort thing for me too.

I reread the Middle-earth books by Professor Tolkien, The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red. It's a comfort thing for me too when I wish to escape to familiar surroundings. I've gotten a lot of books in the last few years that I expect I will be rereading many times in the future.

About once every year or so, I read Colleen McCullough’s The First Man In Rome series about the Roman Republic. This series has an enormous cast of interesting characters and is fun to read.

I have reread Salinger's Catcher in the Rye and enjoyed it much much more the second time around, when I was more mature. Mainly, though, the books I have reread are those for which I have been deeply involved in discussion, and the rereading has always produced new insights and appreciation that I missed the first time through. So I strongly recommend rereading for full appreciation.

I re-read The Wind In The Willows By Kenneth Graham and The Dark Is Rising Sequence By Susan Cooper. Clearly both are books of my childhood and I re-read them when I need comfort!

I feel that way about Tolkien and every few years I go back and read those books again.
Also, for some reason, James Lee Burke and Walter Mosely mysteries. Doesn't really matter which ones. This might be because I have purchased several when going on vacation. Maybe they make me think of being on vacation. :cool:
And, Richard Ford's three book series is also one I return to periodically. I love that character and I think I get something new out of them with every read.

I have re-read 1984 three times. Scary, but great writing. Sir Walter Scott's books several times. Terrific adventure.
And I have just finished re-reading a whole shelf of Black Dagger crime novels and a shelf of Library of crime books.Just great thrillers.
I also re-read all of Terry Pratchett's books.Very funny.
I am blessed with a poor memory, so can get great pleasure out of a book I have read year or two on. :)

Oh, and I almost forgot: I've got to read The Neverending Story at least every year. I should probably buy it. Right now I have it requested at the public library. Maybe I'll buy it next month. I wonder if you can still get a hardback edition with all the original art work.

Poetry, for one thing. It’s pretty much meant to be reread.

Other than that, I tend to reread canonical classics where the writing itself is compelling and pulls me in for another read every time I dare to pick up the book. Rearranging or dusting my books can be risky. I reread so much, sometimes I feel that I’m not moving forward in my reading.

Also, I have a weak spot for:

Confederacy of Dunces.
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
Tolkien.
More Tolkien.
Eloise.
Dr. Seuss.

Also, some books in my first language, Catalan, such as la plaça del diamante, though mostly for the practice and the familiarity.

And Dickens every Christmas, natch.

* …must…resist…mentioning…classic…erotica…*

Poetry, for one thing. It’s pretty much meant to be reread.

Other than that, I tend to reread canonical classics where the writing itself is compelling and pulls me in for another read every time I dare to pick up the book. Rearranging or dusting my books can be risky. I reread so much, sometimes I feel that I’m not moving forward in my reading.

Also, I have a weak spot for:

Confederacy of Dunces.
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
Tolkien.
More Tolkien.
Eloise.
Dr. Seuss.

Also, some books in my first language, Catalan, such as la plaça del diamante, though mostly for the practice and the familiarity.

And Dickens every Christmas, natch.

* …must…resist…mentioning…classic…erotica…*

Why resist?:D

I reread The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath a few times in high school, as well as Notes From Underground by Dostoevsky, mostly because it is short, and satisfies my Dostoevsky urges when I don't have nearly enough time to read Crime and Punishment or The Brothers Karamazov!

I have also enjoyed Wuthering Heights multiple times, and Things Fall Apart. They are favorites, but I also ended up rereading a lot in high school to prepare for essays on my AP English Exams...and to avoid studying for anything else!

At the moment re-reading Arnold Bennett's Literary Tastes. Which is a detailed intruction for forming and collecting a complete library of english Literature.

At the moment re-reading Arnold Bennett's Literary Tastes. Which is a detailed intruction for forming and collecting a complete library of english Literature.

That sounds like a really interesting book. I think I will see if they have it my library.

I re-read any books that I enjoyed the first time through.

There is always something new to discover the second time around.

Notes From Underground by Dostoevsky, mostly because it is short, and satisfies my Dostoevsky urges when I don't have nearly enough time to read Crime and Punishment or The Brothers Karamazov!

What a great pick! I remember the first time that I sat down and read it straight through. I can't say enough about that book and what it really means to me.

Stephen King's The Stand is my most re-read book, because I just love the story. :whistling: There are plenty of others I re-read, pretty much anything that I really enjoyed.

Back