• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What Did You Read in February?

abecedarian

Here's my list:

1. The Women At the Pump-Knut Hamsun
2. The Fat Man From La Paz-ed. Rosario Santos
3. Anansi Boys-Neil Gaiman
4. The Wandering Unicorn-Manuel Mujica Lainez
5. The Rough Guide To Cult Fiction
6. Voices Made Night-Mia Couto
7. Dan Eldon:Art of Life-Jennifer New
8. Breath,Eyes, Memory-Edwidge Danticat
9. Pomegranate Soup-Marsha Mehran

I also started Foucault's Pendulum, but decided the timing was not right. I'll get back to in one of these days.

Wow I wish I could read 9 books in a month.. my list is pretty short, but was pretty good for me:

1. Stephen King - Cell
2. Lois Lowry - Gathering Blue
3. Louis L'Amour - The Daybreakers

You read my mind abecedarian :D

I read:
Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat by Oliver Sacks
The Family Way by Tony Parsons
The Enchanter by Vladimir Nabokov
Ada (or Ardor) by Vladimir Nabokov
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

And I'm currently reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac

And amazingly, I didn't discard any books this month!! Although three of them were rereads :rolleyes:

Isn't this exactly the same as the "I Just Finished Reading" thread that we all voted to get rid of? Minus being a "sticky".

And doesn't that lead to the question of, if you read all these books, did you post about them?

The point of not having a place to just list books you've read was to generate discussion.

Carry on. Just wanted to ask the question.

Moto, why should this thread bother you? did you even read any books in February? Or lately? I don't see you participating in any book discussions.

Here are my February reads:

Are You Afraid of the Dark?-Sidney Sheldon
The Dark Lady-Sally Spencer
The Golden Mile to Murder-Sally Spencer
The Red Herring-Sally Spencer
Little Children-Tom Perrotta
In the Land of Second Chances-George Shaffner
The Wishbones-Tom Perrotta
Joe College-Tom Perrotta
The Dearly Departed-Elinor Lipman

I haven't really been here long enough to comment on that, but I will anyway ;)

I don't think it is the same as the "I just finished reading" thread, and some members find it helpful to list the books they've read in the previous month, as a kind of tracking feature. Or something :D

My idea was for Steffe to use this info like she did last month and show us the books we read in common.. And if you'll look through her thread you'll see that there WAS discussion about books that interested other members.

If the mods have a problem with this thread, they'll do something about it. Moto, this smells like still more pot-stirring and it's getting really old. What are you doing, pushing the envelope so you get banned and then can go complain about TBF on another forum, or what??

Can Motokid read? The last time I remember a book in his Currently Reading box was Clive Barker's The Damnation Game.

I think there are some really lesser known authors (re: abecedarian's list) who should get their own thread. If others haven't heard of them, share the word. I do acknowledge, however, that I haven't commented on any of the books I've read since Mishima's The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea in early January. I've spent more time buying and selling books than reading them. That said, here's my list for February:

Wait Until Spring, Bandini, John Fante
Weight, Jeanette Winterson
Loitering With Intent, Muriel Spark
Never Mind, Edward St. Aubyn
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, Roddy Doyle
Atomised, Michel Houellebecq
Interpreter of Maladies, Jhumpa Lahiri
The Outsider, Albert Camus

I've a couple of shorts from Interpreter Of Maladies to read, and I think I'll be starting another Steinbeck this evening.

Stewart said:
I think there are some really lesser known authors (re: abecedarian's list) who should get their own thread. If others haven't heard of them, share the word.

Yes, abecedarian, I always love seeing your lists!

How's the "one author/book from every Country in the Olympics" coming on?

I read on another thread, you're thinking of starting a (real life) book club. I haven't got any experience, so can't offer any advice, but good luck with that!! :)

The Codex by Douglas Preston
Gone by Lisa Gardner
The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Watch Your Back by Donald E. Westlake
(struggled half way through and had to give it up, didn't like it at all, may continue if I have a change of heart)

steffee said:
Yes, abecedarian, I always love seeing your lists!

How's the "one author/book from every Country in the Olympics" coming on?

I read on another thread, you're thinking of starting a (real life) book club. I haven't got any experience, so can't offer any advice, but good luck with that!! :)

The Olympic Challenge is going pretty well, although since dropping the Ecco book, I need to pick up another Italian writer soon. I need to mosey over to the OC thread and post there, I suppose.

Stewart: Which titles would you like to discuss?

Seemed to lose interest a bit this month, but anyway:

The Successor - Ismail Kadare
The Drowned and the Saved - Primo Levi (re-read)
Early Poems - Yevgeny Yevtushenko (re-read)
The Complete Kubrick - David Hughes
The Complete Hitchcock - Paul Condon
(I didn't read these last two cover to cover, more picked out the chapters on films of particular interest)
Abstract Art - Anna Moszynska

For a change of pace I've just started on True Grit by Charles Portis and it's an absolute cracker so far...

BTW, I don't tend to start discussions on the books I read as not many people here have similar taste, but I do almost always provide links (which can be a real pain in the neck) so people can find out more if they so wish.

K-S

abecedarian said:
Stewart: Which titles would you like to discuss?

All of them and none of them.

I may not have heard of the author and as a result of that I won't have read their book. If you were to post your thoughts on these, no matter how minimal, then I may be piqued to go out an read them. If it's poor, tell us too so that we don't make the same mistake. Even if you think nobody is interested or will be then go ahead and post something anyway.

The other benefit is their effect on search engines. If someone out there isn't a member of this forum and is searching on Marsha Mehran (?) then there's a good chance that the thread you could start would turn up near the top of their results. They may read your contribution and want to responsed and like magic: new member, active discussion.

By this, of course, I mean that I may not be able to discuss them but I'd sure like to read about them.

I've only read 3 in the last month, which is very bad for me. I've got exams coming up and way too much homework. :eek:

The Acid House - Irvine Welsh
Falling Leaves - Adeline Yen Mah
Autobiography of a Geisha - Sayo Masuda (just finishing it right now)

I will try to read more next month (as the pile of unread books is getting high), but I've got my performing music assessment in... 2 weeks. :eek:

Stewart said:

I may not have heard of the author and as a result of that I won't have read their book. If you were to post your thoughts on these, no matter how minimal, then I may be piqued to go out an read them. If it's poor, tell us too so that we don't make the same mistake. Even if you think nobody is interested or will be then go ahead and post something anyway.

The other benefit is their effect on search engines. If someone out there isn't a member of this forum and is searching on Marsha Mehran (?) then there's a good chance that the thread you could start would turn up near the top of their results. They may read your contribution and want to responsed and like magic: new member, active discussion.

By this, of course, I mean that I may not be able to discuss them but I'd sure like to read about them.

Ok, so we all should make a new-month resolution to start threads on as many of our books as possible. Will see what I can do;)

Just finished up Donald Trump's Survival at the Top. A great account of his troubles in the early 90s. Gave an interesting take on people such as Leona Helmsley, gambling commissions, as well as corrupt government officials. Also read Notes from Underground, as well as five Dostoyevsky short stories. I would've liked to have read more works, but life happens.:rolleyes:

The Wayward Bus - John Steinbeck
The Red Pony - John Steinbeck
Children Of First Man - John Alexander Thom

There are probably some people that haven't read Steinbeck. I have now read most of his and enjoyed all that I have read, so far. Thom is a very good author and this book may have been one of his best.

muggle said:
The Wayward Bus - John Steinbeck
The Red Pony - John Steinbeck
Children Of First Man - John Alexander Thom

There are probably some people that haven't read Steinbeck. I have now read most of his and enjoyed all that I have read, so far. Thom is a very good author and this book may have been one of his best.

I'm glad you like Children of First Man. Thom gave some very interesting ideas for how certain Native Americans came to have red hair before official first contact with Europeans.

Back