• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do bookworms do for exercise?

I'm curious, why do you consume carbs after you lift and not before? your muscles won't get that extra energy they need to get the most of out of each workout. I do about five hours of weight training every week. I try to make sure to get at least 200 carbs right before I start working out. I don't take a supplement for that, I just boil some brown rice. immediately afterwards, I consume 40g of whey protein. by the end of the day, I've usually consumed somewhere between .8g and 1g of protein for every pound of my body's weight. it's tough, because during the week, which is the only time I work out, I don't eat meat. on the weekends, though, I don't work out, and I usually eat lot of junk food.

I don't eat anything before I do my morning cardio because it possibly helps to burn more fat; whether or not it does is still a major source of debate. If my goal were to make big gains, I would be eating a lot more carbs, especially before I work out, but I eat them afterwards because eating a 1:1 to 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein helps spike insulin levels (and I believe reduce cortisol levels) to lessen the catabolic response of your body after a hard workout. You're doing good with the protein intake; that's about what I take in too. I'm also less rigid on the weekends with my diet; it actually helps to lose weight. And it helps you keep your sanity. Do you lift for fun or are you training for something?

My "Bookworm Exercise Program" has two parts:
1 - The Winter Part - sit and read until Spring. Its too cold to do much else.
(kids/pets keep me moving indoors)
2 - The Spring,Summer, Fall Part - garden, garden, everyday - lots of
bending,stretching,lifting and sweating.
- play frisbee, catch,etc. etc. with kids (your
own or someone else's)
- read in evening-if you can stay awake!
This has been working well for years! :)

Hockey for me, so that covers the winter months.

Also started ballroom and Latin American dancing, with a touch of salsa on the side.

Turn pages. Walk back and forth to the restroom, the bedroom, the dinner table, the bookshelf--that sort of thing. I also, on occasion, shift positions and fluff pillows.

I got to a point in my life where I either started exercising, started dieting, or started buying larger sized clothes.

Exercising was really the best option for me. I'm in better shape at 41 than I was at 31. My weight has not changed in the last 5 years, and my waist size has remained constant as well.

I'm not really allowed to any real exercise for the next 1 or 2 years, because I have a thing with my knees that have to pass. So my exercise currently consists of walking to the bus I have to take to Uni and walking the stairs when the elevator isn't working.

hay82 said:
I'm not really allowed to any real exercise for the next 1 or 2 years, because I have a thing with my knees that have to pass. So my exercise currently consists of walking to the bus I have to take to Uni and walking the stairs when the elevator isn't working.

what about swimming? a few years ago i really hurt my back and had to avoid any impact type fitness, so i went swimming and did aquasize. not a great fat burner but good cardio.

jenngorham said:
what about swimming? a few years ago i really hurt my back and had to avoid any impact type fitness, so i went swimming and did aquasize. not a great fat burner but good cardio.
Not really much of a swimmer although it would probably be a good thing to do. Besides I think the world is better of without seeing my pale body in a pair of swimshorts. :eek:

bobbyburns said:
I don't mean to digress, but what happened to the evil monkey from family guy?
My girlfriend likes the monkey better too. It's just that when my friend went home to India, she picked me up a small statue of Lord Ganesha that I really enjoy. So, the other night I found what I thought was a pretty cool Ganesha avatar, but it looks like I might need to go to Chris's closet and find the evil monkey.

If you're interested in any sites for bodybuilding or weightlifting programs, I can point you in the direction of some good sites.

hay82 said:
Not really much of a swimmer although it would probably be a good thing to do. Besides I think the world is better of without seeing my pale body in a pair of swimshorts. :eek:

i am with you there. i got the victoria secrets catalogue yesterday to look at their swimsuits, and i had gooseflesh and nausea just thinking about getting into a suit. full body scuba gear is my idea of swimwear. :p

Plenty of badminton. About once or twice a week. For the past 7 years. I've stopped for a couple of months now, but will resume once I shift to my new place.

I still suck, however.

ds

I like to do Opus Dei sports: self-flaggelating, kneeling for 24 hours, starvation, strange isometric positions, 40-day hikes in desert, and other ritual self-denial.

Oooh, wrong thread . . . mommy, is my hair shirt in the wash?

Back