• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you do with a book you've read?

A friend of mine at work is trying to start a library for the office, so I have books for her. The ones I give away usually I am not going to read again. I have to say moving is also a pain for me - I have five bookcases full and some of them double booked.

Now, the bad thing is that I have bought a book in paperback and then turned around two weeks later and bought it in hard back.

The books I've read are the books I've bedded...they take a nap on the bookshelf and when I'm ready for them again, I give them a good seeing to...

I also love having books that have worn covers and pages...it adds to the character...

After I'm done reading I just place it on my bookshelf. If it's a book, I can't bear to even finish I either return it or sell it on ebay/amazon. :)

Martin said:
I wouldn't be able to do that! Especially if I liked, or even loved, the book. I want to own everything I read - I'm weird that way.

Cheers, Martin
i'm exactly like that! :) i'm going to be moving to my new house early next year, and already a prerequisite room is my library, with shelves of books on the walls and a nice sofa set.

plus maybe a playstation 2 to pound on when reading just don't cut it after a long frustrating day at work.
:D

ds

direstraits said:
i'm exactly like that! :) i'm going to be moving to my new house early next year, and already a prerequisite room is my library, with shelves of books on the walls and a nice sofa set.

plus maybe a playstation 2 to pound on when reading just don't cut it after a long frustrating day at work.
:D

ds

I also want a library in my future house! Definitely a prereq, with lots of shelves and comfy furniture....aaahhh, Heaven. :)

VTChEwbecca said:
I also want a library in my future house! Definitely a prereq, with lots of shelves and comfy furniture....aaahhh, Heaven. :)
Imagine listening to the gentle pattering of rain on the window sill while you're lying streched out on a comfortable sofa with a book in hand, probably draped in a nice woolen blanket, with a steaming cup of hot coffee on the tabletop next to you.

ds

There's actually people who throws away books? :eek: They are throwing away life. What about keeping them and giving them to their kids and so on?

somewhat said:
There's actually people who throws away books? :eek: They are throwing away life. What about keeping them and giving them to their kids and so on?

On the other hand, you could argue that some books are so bad, you wouldn't inflict them on your worst enemy. Keep the good ones, but you'll find that the rubbish ones tend to be the first to go, especially if you're short of space.

Darren Lewis said:
I tend to keep mine on the shelves, but some of my friends give them away, donate them or sometimes sell them? I once knew someone who just through them away!!!

Do you ever re-read a book again?

yeah, I'm the same way, I keep them on my bookshelf, but since a few month, I'm afraid that my lovely shelf is going to die. in the middle the board is pretty bent!! so I beg my parents for another room in our basement, that I can fix as my private libery (*my dream* :p )
I re-read i think one book in my lifetime, but i don't really care for it, I just know what comes next and that depresses me!!

have a nice day

Books I keep them :)

I tried to part with some a while back, took them to a nearby charity shop .. :eek:
Then went and bought them all back :eek:

when I'm done with a book, I simply put it on my almost filled book shelf. My mother, however threw any paperback in the garbage when I was a kid! I wouldn't have wanted them since they were all romance but I told her she could've at least donated them to some fund.

I used to keep all my books, but of course you end up running out of space. Anyway, a couple of years ago me & my sis cleared out literally hundreds of books from our room and donated them all to the local library.

Nowadays, I live by myself. I keep the books I think I might like to refer to or read again, and the rest I either give to the local Oxfam Bookshop or I sell them on eBay.

I have tried Bookcrossing once or twice but find that my books seem to disappear - I think one got chucked out by the cleaner at Central Station. *sob*

Another bookcrossing devotee

fluffy bunny said:
The bookcrossing thing looks fun. Does anyone want a book sending?

I'm also into bookcrossing. :)
If you want to try it there are lots of members who trade books instead of releasing them. That way they know the books are going to a good home.

I used to keep all my books, but I'm starting to run out of room, and there are some I'm never going to read again. The bookcrossing thing is addictive though. I buy cheap copies of books I really love to share with people and keep my own as well!

Keep them all

I keep all the books I read. Even the ones I don't like at all. Having the losers helps me appreciate the gems. :cool:

Stack them on my shelves.. Haven't got that many yet so my shelves are not stressed yet.
I hate having to part with a book.. It's mine.. Mine I tell you.

Back