• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you do.......

denny

for a living?

I can't help but notice that everyone on this forum seems to have more than their fair share of IQ points, and just wondered what everyone did for a living!

I'm not allowed to work at the moment (US Immigration laws), but I used to be a Customer Services Manager for a computer company.

Denny, you must also moonlight as a mind reader..I was just thinking a thread on "what's your 'day job' might be interesting:)

I am a stay at home, homeschooling mom to a large brood of kids who have too many of mine and hubby's faults to ever be mistaken for adoptees or changelings. However, my oldest dd DID give me a note once, when she was about 10..she wrote: " Dear Mr and Mrs G__, I know you are not my real parents. Please tell me who ARE my real parents and return me to them at once." I replied.."Anna(you know her as South Paw)..you know this knotted hair at the back of your head(she had hair brushing issues at the time)? That's a sure sign that you're a changeling! Fairies stole our baby and dropped you off right after birth!" But that blew over and we're ok now:D

I'm the Prime Minister.

lol Abc, I can't believe you just embarrassed Anna (South Paw) like that. Keep those baby pics locked away ;)

Just kidding, aww isn't that sweet! :D

steffee said:
I'm the Prime Minister.

lol Abc, I can't believe you just embarrassed Anna (South Paw) like that. Keep those baby pics locked away ;)

Just kidding, aww isn't that sweet! :D

She's the oldest of ten..she's hard to embarass..besides, I've told that story in front of her too. I thought it was funny then and now. She was a fun kid..still is.

I'm a picture framer for my wages. What, that's a real job?! Yes, it is, and it helps subsidize some other habits of mine, costs for which include art supplies and yarns and fabrics. Thanks to all the gods, on every planet, and in every way for libraries.:)

abecedarian said:
She's the oldest of ten..she's hard to embarass..besides, I've told that story in front of her too. I thought it was funny then and now. She was a fun kid..still is.
It is funny. :D

steffee said:
It is funny. :D

One reason its such a golden moment is, she was seriously trying to hurt my feelings. She was MAD! And for once, just this once, I didn't blow up, AND I thought of something funny to diffuse the situation..It was a red-letter day;)

I'm a bookseller. Actually, I work with mrkgnao. "Wait!" you say, "If both of you are always hanging around the forum, who does the work in your bookstore?". Well, that's anybody's guess:). Actually, I think we both subrscribe to the idea that all work and no play makes nice booksellers become PMS-avengers.

Being a bookseller is mostly great, althought it doesn't involve a lot of reading which people tend to think. It does make you buy more books though :).

It's a good sign when kids can express things when they go through that kind of phase.

A friend of mine--a single father--once provoked his children into marching around him with protest signs: "Daddy! Stop being evil!" "No more evil daddy!" and from the little one, "No! No! No! No!" The issue was something like preventing them from playing demolition derby on their tricycles in the apartment.

Anyway, my husband and I are freelance writers, with some rare book dealing on the side.

pink shadow said:
Actually, I think we both subrscribe to the idea that all work and no play makes nice booksellers become PMS-avengers.
Ha ha, pink shadow. Thanks for the smile! :D

steffee said:
I'm the Prime Minister.

OK, that explains why you put the 'Great' back in Great Britain then :D

Pink Shadow - I think it's great to find booksellers who actually have an interest in books! From my experience, sadly these days, most booksellers are only interested in the price tag on the back, and know nothing about what they are trying to sell!

That's one reason that I quite like browsing around 2nd-hand bookstores; you usually find that people who run those stores are fellow bookworms and are happy to make recommendations.

Hi Denny - looks like the two of us are in the same boat. Isn't it a real drag. I thought I'd enjoy being at home but there's only so much housework, watching tv and, dare I say it, reading that a gal can do. They say the grass is always greener on the other side - how very true.

Breaca

I know exactly what you mean. I loved my first year of being a SAHMWNK (stay-at-home-mum-with-no-kids), but it certainly gets tiresome after a while. My green card application is currently with the INS 'backlog center'. I think they must have one guy there working his way through a million green card applicants!

Which country are you from originally?

abecedarian said:
However, my oldest dd DID give me a note once, when she was about 10..she wrote: " Dear Mr and Mrs G__, I know you are not my real parents. Please tell me who ARE my real parents and return me to them at once."
Haha, ABC, this made me think of a story my parents tell about how I reacted when my younger sister was born... after a couple of days of having a newborn in the house, I approached my mom (I was almost 3 years old at the time) and said, "OK Mommy, you can take Jennifer back to the hospital now." That cracks people up :p

Day job: I'm a graduate student in library science and I also work as a graduate assistant, meaning we do professional work for not much pay because we're desperate for the tuition waiver. My job is managing one of our library's online area studies databases.

You mean being on this site isn't a job?:eek: I just might have to quit and spend ALL day here.;)

Back