• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

somewhat said:
Wow, I must say some of you guys are up-tight about your books, but I like it, though. I respect people that are careful with their stuff. The only thing I'm careful about is to eat around the book, and I always wash my hands before touching a book.

I never fold the corner of the pages, because, I don't know, but I just never have. But I do fold the pages, and I do make lines on the spine of my paperbacks. I've never been too careful about the condition of my books, as long as I keep them readable.

And for the disrespecting the author-part, feh, I think they feel respected as long as you buy the book. I guess they would have been more offended by people borrowing from a library, or buying old copies from a garagesale. If you catch my drift.

I love my books, I carry them around. They are bound to get small damages. I'm just making them mine. I sometimes make notes in the margin too.

I know what you mean. Just recently I saw a piece on JK Rowling and she said she got a kick out of seeing the really beat up books kids would bring her to sign. She feels like that means they are well loved and takes it as a compliment when a book has been read to pieces. Also an author of field guides for birds says he's always delighted to see one of his books with rubberbands holding it together, tape keeping the cover on, dirt smudges, that shows that his book has been in the field being useful. I am like that with the quilts I make. I give them as gifts and want them to be used, not put away so the won't get dirty. I love to see an old worn out quilt. Just don't abuse it by letting the cat have kittens on it or rubbing down the horse with it.

SillyWabbit said:
I use the arms of dead men as a book mark!

( just getting into the Halloween spirit of things! )
:D
that's cute. i just use their tongues. or what's left of it.

ds

p.s. nice avatar. :)

I collect Tart Cards from telephone booths. I’ve put some sets together and framed them and I love finding them with my ex-girlfriends names on but I keep the spares to use as book marks.

I tend to use paper bookmarks or postcards, but I have been known to use *ahem* the odd chocolate frog card :eek:

I use a day bus ticket that hasn't been used. Its a piece of card with a plastic cover and your bus ticket goes under the plastic and sticks in place and you can use it all day! The one I have doesn't have the ticket in it because I couldn't be bothered :p

I used to keep self made bookmarks (quite a few years ago now) in which i would write down every book i read on it. At the end of the year i would date them and start a new one.
I had quite a collection but have somehow over the years lost them.

Maybe i'll start again

Cabrasopa :cool:

I use those phony credit cards that Discover and American Express always enclose with their junk mailings.

Rex said:
I use those phony credit cards that Discover and American Express always enclose with their junk mailings.

The blue ones from Discover are the best (I use them too). Primarily, though, I use a cardstock bookmark that comes from my favorite secondhand bookshop. They always stuff one in the books I buy - so it's always the handiest thing to use.

I often Buy or keep Postcards to use :cool:
Sometimes I even try and buy a bookmark to match the book...
ie if Fantasy I like a fairy-ish bookmark :eek: I know I'm sad :eek:

I've got 3:
A soft leather one I've had over 25 years that says "Meet Me Where We Parted Last", one from my daughter's elementary school with her picture on it, and a plastic one with a skeleton that says "I'll be holding your place-forever! :)

I'm using a cardboard bookmark with the Numerology reading on for my birthday but I collect bookmarks from places I visit but never use them :confused:

I still use this little card that I bought from a deaf man at a bar in Santa Monica. I gave him a dollar for it -- everyone has seen this before, right? -- and I figured I might as well get some use from it. I've never had a reason to learn sign language, and it made a perfect bookmark.

Photographs, birthday cards, regular 3x5 card stock, the little due date slip the library sticks in there, heck, even a check stub right now. If it's flat and within reach, I use it!

Back