• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

Freya said:
I have a little kangaroo bookmark, so there's a little kangaroo peeking out the top of the book, but it's more hassle than its worth. I usually just shove in whatever I can find.. post-it notes work nicely :)
I had a little kangaroo for a while too. It's still around somewhere, but its head would catch on things in my bag and it would fall out. Plus it attracted the attention of a woman at the train station and she kept talking at me. A bookmark that encourages people to interrupt my reading does not seem to me to be a good plan. So I don't use it anymore.

I had a cat bookmark like the kangaroo one...I stopped using it for the same reason. It would get stuck on everything and get pulled out and I'd lose my place. It fell out more than it stayed in, so I replaced it.

I buy cute, charming bookmarks for my daughter. Somehow I feel less guilty over the money spent if she loses them instead of me. Me, I try to keep a post-it note, business card, used candy wrapper, something, to mark my place, but in my advanced years, I keep forgetting, and so I sometimes re-read several pages from where I think I left off, just to be sure I didn't miss anything.

Irene Wilde

OK I've to make a confession: I'm a book page corner folder.
Why not? I've my books look used, people know I read them. Some of my books have been around the world with my and I like them for all of their flaws. I love to read a book again and see where I stopped the last time. I love to bend the spine, in order to have a more comfortable reading pleasure. If I want books to look new, there is no way to read them without harming them a little bit.
By the way I also write into them! If they are good enough to deserve a place on shelf I write in them: my name, the date and place I bought them. :D

I used to be able to remember the page I was on. Just look down the page really fast, throw the book under my bed, switch my light off and pretend to be asleep. Now that there's no need for me to sneak around anymore, I have to admit that I just can't remember the numbers anymore. I'm getting old! :eek:

I bought a pack if 4"x6" blank index cards and sliced them all lengthwise. I now have a bazillion bookmarks. I have colored some and laminated them, but I usually don't spend too much energy or money on them as my youngest is a notorious bookmark thief and when I do manage find them, they are crumpled up and unusable. I have one special bookmark that is nearly transparent, a kind of holographic thing that I rarely use because I can't find it after I've put it down!

lies said:
I used to be able to remember the page I was on. Just look down the page really fast, throw the book under my bed, switch my light off and pretend to be asleep. Now that there's no need for me to sneak around anymore, I have to admit that I just can't remember the numbers anymore. I'm getting old! :eek:
I used to do that too when I was younger (good old time :D ).

Do any of you use book thongs? I make them, and I enjoy using them while I read. They're just something a little crafty and pretty for me to look at instead of a plain piece of paper.

If you want to make one for yourself, here's a link with instructions (they're easy and fairly inexpensive unless you get hooked on buying beads like I did!).

Beaded Book Thong

Enjoy! :)

Wow, I must say some of you guys are up-tight about your books, but I like it, though. I respect people that are careful with their stuff. The only thing I'm careful about is to eat around the book, and I always wash my hands before touching a book.

I never fold the corner of the pages, because, I don't know, but I just never have. But I do fold the pages, and I do make lines on the spine of my paperbacks. I've never been too careful about the condition of my books, as long as I keep them readable.

And for the disrespecting the author-part, feh, I think they feel respected as long as you buy the book. I guess they would have been more offended by people borrowing from a library, or buying old copies from a garagesale. If you catch my drift.

I love my books, I carry them around. They are bound to get small damages. I'm just making them mine. I sometimes make notes in the margin too.

cloudsandstars said:
Do any of you use book thongs? I make them, and I enjoy using them while I read. They're just something a little crafty and pretty for me to look at instead of a plain piece of paper.

If you want to make one for yourself, here's a link with instructions (they're easy and fairly inexpensive unless you get hooked on buying beads like I did!).

Beaded Book Thong

Enjoy! :)

Thanks, Clouds&Stars! I've been admiring these guys, and thinking how they probably stay in quite well (do they stay in well?).

I just had to buy a new bookmark, because the one I had does work for the size of books I've been reading lately....its too heavy for paperbacks that have floppy covers and are larger than the average paperback. I got this cute little metal bookmark with a string that has a butterfly bead at the end, and the bookmark has a quote "May you live each day of your life," by Jonathan Swift. However, as soon as I brought the bookmark home, my cat attacked it twice. So much for keeping my place with that bookmark! That's ok, though, I tend to enjoy collecting bookmarks almost as much as collecting books. :eek:

Back