• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

Photos are good, but I try to make sure I don't use one that means anything to me..as Murphy's Law #2 says that anything used for a bookmark will most likely fall onto the floor or into a tubfull of water..
At least that how laws of nature work at MY house :rolleyes:

When I worked at a used book store, I loved to see what fell out from books: airline ticket stubs, grocery lists, pay stubs (!), various receipts, just about everything you can imagine. Now that my library has switched to printout computer receipts that say what you have already plus what you just took out, I'm very careful not to use one of those for a bookmark-I found someone else's stuck in a book. I'm not ashamed of anything I read, but I don't want someone else knowing my last name and all the books I'm reading.

luckily our library doesn't include the name on it. I do love looking at the ones that I find in the books I check out. I like to see what other people are reading!

I actually frequently use the book receipts as my bookmark because otherwise I forget when I have to take them back. I'm so forgetful :rolleyes: I don't really have that much problem with people finding out my name - but I notice that we are /much/ more lax on the privacy thing here. I got so surprised sometimes when I see what people will not reveal about themselves - but obviously we are a small country with a small crime rate and we don't really need to worry.

I once found the neatest bookmark in a library book. It was a laminated strip of four old Soviet Union postage stamps. It was my favorite for years then I forgot it in a book I returned to the library and couldn't remember the book it was in. :(

Miss Shelf said:
but if you leave a bookmark in a book, doesn't that mean you didn't finish it?
Probably. I'm afraid that I am not afflicted with the compulsion to finish every book I begin, therefore, I occasionally return books only half (or less) read.

*** New Bookmark Alert ***

I've recently stumbled across - in the loft* - a bookmark which was bought for me about fifteen years ago when I was about 8 years old.

It's meant to look a little bit like leather and it was purchased from the Holy Island of Lindisfarne, which I believe is off the east coast of Great Britain. It depicts Lindisfarne Castle, a statue of St. Aidan and Lindisfarne Priory.

Lovely stuff!

*Attic, or as my girlfriend calls it, 'The Roof!'

cajunmama said:
Probably. I'm afraid that I am not afflicted with the compulsion to finish every book I begin, therefore, I occasionally return books only half (or less) read.

Shh...never admit it directly! I often return books that don't hold my interest too long, or even because I've suddenly got a book I'd much rather read instead. :D

Miss Shelf said:
Shh...never admit it directly! I often return books that don't hold my interest too long, or even because I've suddenly got a book I'd much rather read instead. :D
Okay, it'll be our little secret!

Back