• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

When I was a kid I used lots of gum wrappers for bookmarks. They squashed flat, looked nice, and made the books smell nice too. Hmm, maybe I should go by a pack of Wrigly's just for nostalgia's sake!

cajunmama said:
Probably. I'm afraid that I am not afflicted with the compulsion to finish every book I begin, therefore, I occasionally return books only half (or less) read.

LOL Cajunmama!

CM, I love ya, but most people wouldn't consider finishing a book a "compulsion" that one is "afflicted" with!!

We would think it n-o-r-m-a-l!! :D

too funny!

I just use scraps of paper or cards mainly, or sometimes just leave the book open face down. I went to a book store a few weeks ago and noticed they had a stack of Eragon/Eldest bookmarks so I asked if I could have one and the guy gave me two, but I don't wanna use em...lol. I know that sounds so weird. I've been looking for some cheap bookmarks. I really like the metal Harry Potter bookmarks but can't find them anywhere except for online. BTW, I'm new! :p

abecedarian said:
When I was a kid I used lots of gum wrappers for bookmarks. They squashed flat, looked nice, and made the books smell nice too. Hmm, maybe I should go by a pack of Wrigly's just for nostalgia's sake!

Dang!....and I used bubble-yum. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I use any piece of paper I can find and if I can find none, I admit to being one of those people most booklovers hate, I turn the corner of the page over.

Billy said:
I use any piece of paper I can find and if I can find none, I admit to being one of those people most booklovers hate, I turn the corner of the page over.

Show some respect for the author! Use a booger.

leckert said:
LOL Cajunmama!

CM, I love ya, but most people wouldn't consider finishing a book a "compulsion" that one is "afflicted" with!!

We would think it n-o-r-m-a-l!! :D

too funny!
Yeah, but some people have themselves on this very forum said that they feel that they have to finish every book they start, even if they absolutely hate it. That is the compulsion I was referring to. Me, if I get bored with a book, or decide it is crap, I put it down and pick up the next one. Life is too short, and there are too many books out there to waste my time with a book I don't want to read.

Not in a thread about bookmarks. They don't use them. They can remember exactly what page, paragraph and line they were when they stopped.

I have a flyer advertising Alfie's new album as a book mark at the moment, although I am also using a new bookmark that was given to me the other day, it has lots of beads on it so it doesn't really fit in the books very well!

Miss Shelf said:
don't you hate people like that? I can barely remember the title of the book I finished last week. :rolleyes:
I'm the same. And if I read a series, I tend to remember the name of the series, but can never remember the names of each indiviual book.

Folding corners is a big no-no for me. I like to keep my books looking good, or worn from over reading (the sign of a good book!). Never mistreated.

Right now I have a HP book mark I got with the latest book. Holographic and everything :eek: but I'll use anything that's around. Sometimes the corner of an envelope torn off and sat over the corner of the page; useful because you can put it at the top or bottom depending on how far down the page you are (save about half a second!). One reference book I have a birthday card marking the page, and a book on my desk right now has a screwdriver in it :confused: . Anything works I guess!

My wife and kids give me bookmarks all the time so I have plenty to mark all of the places where I've stopped. Those plus assorted coupons, boarding passes, and return receipts from the library.

Picked up a few free bookmarks today from the school library-turns out that this thread made me consider changing my ways- Good-bye "dog-ear" days. :)

Back