• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

Horror of horror's!!! Fold the corner of the page - NEVER. My partner did that once to a book I was reading and I wouldn't speak to him for the rest of the day.

As for my bookmark, I have one that was made for all the girls in my class when I was 16 - it has a poem on each side in memoriam of one of our classmates who died of cyctic fibrosis. A bit sad I know but they are lovely poems and it's a great bookmark!

Right now Post Captain is being marked by a bar napkin and Collapse is being marked by a sheet of paper outlining some stretching techniques.

LoL

What an inspired discussion!!

I have always found that part of the fun of buying used and antiquarian books as opposed to new books is what you find inside them!! Its surprising what turns up as previously used bookmarks :eek:

The best find yet was an enamel British Rail "Toilet" sign (god knows where the previous owner got it from) - I put it onto EBay to see what happened and sold it for over £30 :)

Personally, I just use scraps of card or paper (seems rather boring, really). Will have to find something more imaginative!!!

I really am losing all of my bookmarks... Now I'm using a deck of old multiplacation/division flashcards I found. At least I'll review math! :D

I use whatever I can find...whatever!

Currently I'm using a straw paper that I got during lunch the other day (that when I get a chance to read at work). But tomorrow I could grab a napkin that I haven't used.

I change from day to day... :eek:

Other times, if I'm feeling crafty, I will make my own with something that means something to me like a piece of rapping paper from a birthday present and then laminate it with several pieces of tape... :cool:

guilty, guilty, and guilty again

okay.... so let's start with this: i like my covers to remain in pristin contdition. whenever i get a new book, i make sure to carefully put on the inside cover a lil return adress label so that my flunky friends will remember that it is in fact MINE. But, the problem is, my favorites tend to be second-hand pick ups anyway, and so therefore i dont feel bad about making a few notes all over on the inside. And by a few i mean a few a page. Okay, sometimes a paragraph. My 1984 book is almost obliterated because everytime i read it i constantly find new ties. No One Here Gets Out Alive is the same way. Dante's Inferno is a little underlined, but it stays at a friend's house because we have shared custody at the moment, so it's safe from my beatings usually. (valuable books do NOT get touched.) to me its not so much the book as it is the content... i'm not judging a book by its cover (or inside dog-earedness), so to speak.

However, i do NOT NOT NOT fold my corners. i will circle the page numbers of pertinant pages, but never in my life would i fold a corner. i will go to the nearest bathroom and use a shred of toilet paper or something before that.

In my opinion, these are the best bookmarks you can get... they're all I use:

Bookflip LLC

I didn't read through the whole thread, forgive me if these have been posted already.

I try to never fold the page over.. if I have no spare piece of paper or bookmark I simply try to memorize the page number I was one.

Seeing as I read novels at such a quick rate, it generally works to memorize it.

I am hard on paperbacks. I fold the pages and I ain't ashamed to admit it :) I also bend the crap out of the spines while I fold the book over in two so it is easier for me to hold with one hand. I don't, however, do it with borrowed books or paperbacks. In those cases I just use a scrap of paper.

I get very easily distracted. I used to have a book mark that I made myself. It was awesome and very colorful, but the colors would distract me, for I don't simply set the book mark aside, but put it somewhere in the back of the book. Now I just use boring old folded sticky notes, but they're the perfect size and shape.

Back