• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

Dont use store receipts, if they just inked the machine, the ink can transfer to the pages or moisture can make it transfer. Rubber bands can deteriorate over time and leave a mark. I use silk ribbons ( some books come with them fastened in during publication) of different colors. I use them to indicate some detail I may wish to referance in the future. The color tells me the approximate time that I used the book.

I'm a corner folder, although in my defense I offer that I only do it on cheap paperbacks. Uh, mostly. :( I used to be much more fastidious, but once I folded my first corner there was no going back. Learn from my shameful example! :D

If I don't want to fold a corner, I use an index card or scrap paper lying about.

I would never ever-ever-ever fold corners. It's almost sacrilege!!! :mad: :eek:

I learned this from a very early age.

Our neighbour across the street (when I was a kid) was a teacher, librarian and book lover. He taught me the ethics of reading.

I usually use old train tickets. I always have a few lying about in bags and purses.

My mum uses elastic band. She puts on vertically through the book, at the pages she is come to, and another horizontally around the whole book, to keep it together. She is 87! What can you do??? :rolleyes:

Hobitten :cool:

I nearly always fold the corner. Top corner, bottom corner, small amount, large amount, eg nearly half the page to mark my place.

Occassionally on the times I don't fold the corner it's book open face down.

What's all this 'ethics of reading', 'respect', 'Learn from my shameful example!', etc, etc.
I paid for the book, the enjoyment I get from it is reading it, I generally only buy paper backs, half from ebay. Hardbacks weigh too much, and cost too much.

I really fail to see why 90% of the posts in this thread are so against folding the page of your OWN books?.

Well, to speak for myself, I was being facetious!

I think it's just a matter of custom or etiquette; some folks are brought up that there's a proper way to take care of your books .

For me personally, my books are my most precious belonging (besides my girlfriend :) ), so I try to take good care of them. That's why I would never fold a corner or something.

Cheers, Martin :D

Originally posted by Martin
For me personally, my books are my most precious belonging (besides my girlfriend :) ), so I try to take good care of them. That's why I would never fold a corner or something.

Would you dump your girlfriend if she folded the corners? :D

Had to ask

Phil: Me too, but hey, what's one to do, right? :)

Carlos: No, I wouldn't, but I'd sure kick up some dust! She knows not to touch my books . . . :)

I used to memorize the page number, but I always seemed to get mixed up (ie, thinking it was page 268 instead of 286) so I reverted to just some piece of scrap paper. I write down page numbers of quotes I like on the scrap paper and when I'm done reading the book, go back and type the quotes down on the computer and save em on a floppy. All my favorite quotes right there!

Book marks

I now use some Japanese money that I rec'd with a book purchase. I can't remember the vendor in order to give credit. I like the design of the money. Temporarily, I switched from the silk ribbon.---Walter---

I stand in awe of all you creative, imaginative, resourceful people.

But . . . I'm almost embarrassed to ask . . . why can't you just use a ............................ bookmark ??? :D

Third Man Girl

Third man girl

3rd man, we start out using some level of a recognized book mark; then strange and creative things happen for some reason. What do you think is the reason?
I recommend that commercial producers of bookmarks produce a bookmark upon which we can write notes.

Re: Third man girl

Originally posted by Robinson Crusoe

I recommend that commercial producers of bookmarks produce a bookmark upon which we can write notes. [/B]

Oh! I'm too conventional. I use a notepad for that. ;)

Third Man Girl

Back