• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

Erica said:
I quite like using postcards of places I have been, or some old postcards from the 1920's (some are really cute cards)
+ Love to use bookthongs for my fav hb books :)

Must admit a cheque stub also does the job.
But I never turn the corner of page :eek:

I'm with Erica here in that i could 'never' bring myself to turn over the corners of a page - it pains me greatly when i see people do this but i guess each to their own.

i come from the school that uses travel tickets to mark your place. Servces two purposed - saves my page and means that don't lose my travel ticket!

Lisa

I've used receipts, airline ticket stubs, photos, and various bookmarks. I prefer leather bookmarks. I'm currently using a leather Harry Potter bookmark.

I totally dog ear the pages, I love doing it because when I like a book enough to go back and reread it I can tell where I stopped before. It makes my books look and feel loved.

I use a piece of paper that I rip out of a notebook. I know this makes no sense, but for some reason whenever I go and buy and nice pretty bookmark from a bookstore, I always end up losing it, but I never seem to lose those pieces of paper. Go figure!!

Yip, Me too

I am exactly the same tarablythe, i normally just end up memorising the page number i am on, either that or i put in a notebook page which, within an hour will be removed, used to write an annagram and lost in that order. :D I can normally find the page i was on and my books look extreemly "well loved". you should see my copy of The War Of The Twins:D

Marie said:
I think that a nice bookmark adds to the pleasure of reading. But since I'd hate to spend money on a bookmark, I make my own, with scraps of colored and textured paper, autumn leaves, etc.

I was wondering what everybody else use as a bookmark? Do some of you simply fold the corner of the page ?

Throughout the whole reading of The Stand, by Stephen King I used a Warhead wrapper (you know, the really sour candy)... It was a black Warhead flavor. I also used it for a few other books.

At home I love beaded 'Book Thongs' I fiddle with them while I'm reading.
quite like postcards, photos etc to.
But out and about I use whatever is at hand, train ticket,etc
:)

But I could never dog ear them...Noooooooooooooooooo :eek:

as much as it pain me to admit it, i either dog ear the page or turn the book over and leave it open..yikes! i know. it's just out of pure laziness that i don't take the time to stick something, anything in there..... :(

Marie said:
I think that a nice bookmark adds to the pleasure of reading. But since I'd hate to spend money on a bookmark, I make my own, with scraps of colored and textured paper, autumn leaves, etc.

I was wondering what everybody else use as a bookmark? Do some of you simply fold the corner of the page ?
I usually just have my book next to me on my desk and if I take my book out on a trip or somewhere else with me I use a strip of paper to make my place in the book. I did use to have a metal book mark that you can put on the page you are on. It was of a cat with my name on it. The only problem with this is it woukd rip the pages which was a shame! I used to make my own book mark too which now that you mentioned I may do this today :p

No Bookmark

I use my mind as a bookmark. I don't like those real bookmarks and I would never dogear a book (the horror!), so I just remember what page paragraph and word I was last on. It's not really that hard, unless I don't read the book for a couple of months but even then I find it easy to find my spot. :)

I got a couple bookmarks from a buying a book from a bookstore called 'Yonda' in Tokyo that I usually use. Little cartoon Pandas on them. Sometimes I'll also use small bill denominations from my travels. 2000 Yen bill, a US $1 bill...whatever I have that isn't too valuable and I'm not likely to use again but has some sort of sentimental value.

My avatar is my bookmark. My grandaughter makes me a new bookmark every Christmas from a drawing that she does for it.

I'm a page folder and it ashames me to say so but bookmarks annoy me. Unless they are really pretty

(Please check out my new thread, "Classics", it will be really interesting when people start replying!!!)

In no particular order: paper money, postcard, Post-It note, loose paper bit (ripped, folded, etc.), receipt, a page of my own writing, pen, headboard (book propped open), finger, plastic bottle wrapper, candy wrapper, popsickle stick, envelope, bill I need to pay (as a reminder), CD, another book... the list goes on and on.

Back