• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you want in a bookstore?

SFG75

I live in a town of roughly 5,000. The local paper has an online forum and one thread was dedicated to what kind of business people would like to see open up. A good number of members posted that a used bookstore is sorely needed and that they would go to such a business if it were around. I was quite surprised by this and it got me curious. What are the good points of a great bookstore and why is it that some don't make it?

*What separates a good used bookstore from a bad one?

*What kind of books do you expect to see at a used bookstore? What books give you a bad impression about the place?

*Do activities such as poetry readings, acoustic jams, and other events influence you as to whether or not you patronize a given businesss?

*What separates a good used bookstore from a bad one? - neatness, organization, and cleanliness make ALL the difference in what makes a good store vs. a bad one IMO. Separate the various genres. Keep the Harlequin's all set together. Keep the shelves dusted. Use good displays and display techniques. Rotate what you have highlighted to keep frequent buyers coming back and interested.

*What kind of books do you expect to see at a used bookstore? What books give you a bad impression about the place? I think that a used bookstore after awhile will begin to reflect the preferences and tastes of it's loyal buyers. For instance for me, I'm going to want to go to a UBS that has a good selection of mysteries and historical fiction - but that's what I prefer to read.

*Do activities such as poetry readings, acoustic jams, and other events influence you as to whether or not you patronize a given businesss?Not for me personally, but I'm an introvert and a single working mom (my husband lives out of state for now and we won't join him until this summer) of a teen, so I don't take time for much stuff like that. I do however know plenty of readers for whom that type of activity IS very appealing and can often bring in someone who might not otherwise come into the store.

*What separates a good used bookstore from a bad one? I like a bookstore that is organized. If I am in the mood for browsing the classics, I'd like them to be in a single easy to find location. Cleanliness also helps. I also like it when the staff are friendly and helpful.

*What kind of books do you expect to see at a used bookstore? What books give you a bad impression about the place? I expect to see variety, but I also expect to see a lot of romance novels. The good and the bad.

*Do activities such as poetry readings, acoustic jams, and other events influence you as to whether or not you patronize a given business? They do not influence me, but if it gets other people in the door, I say go for it.

JMO, I like used book stores to limit themselves to selling just used books and maybe music. I've been to one to many "Used Books & Collectibles" combo shops that make me feel like I'm trolling at a garage sale. I hate having to wade through the beanie baby and stuffed sponge bob square pants graveyard before I get to what I'm there for. Again, thats just me.:flowers:

A bad bookstore I've never seen, so I don't know what separates a good one from a bad one. Many people have complained about the owner of one of the used bookstores here as being rude, but he has never been rude to me.

Reactions: anu
JMO, I like used book stores to limit themselves to selling just used books and maybe music. I've been to one to many "Used Books & Collectibles" combo shops that make me feel like I'm trolling at a garage sale. I hate having to wade through the beanie baby and stuffed sponge bob square pants graveyard before I get to what I'm there for. Again, thats just me.:flowers:

I would have to agree with you there. I think the owners believe that adding other stuff will add to their bottom line and perhaps be a "lead in" to those who would look at the books. At the same time, book lovers are purists in that they don't want to buy books that are next to office supplies.

I want used book shops to be exactly like in Black Books.

Bernard: What do they want from me? Why can't they leave me alone? I mean, what do they want from me?
Manny
: They want to buy books.
Bernard
: Yeah but why me? Why do they come to me?
Manny
: Well, because you sell books.
Bernard
: Yeah, I know... but...
Customer: Those books, how much?
Bernard: Which books?
Customer: Those books, the leatherbound ones.
Bernard: Yes, the complete works of Charles Dickens. What about them?
Customer: Are they real leather?
Bernard: They're real Dickens...?
Customer: I have to know if they're real leather because they have to go with the sofa. Everything else in my house is real. I'll give you 200 for them.
Bernard: 200 what?
Customer: 200 pounds.
Bernard: Are they leather-bound pounds?
Customer: No.
Bernard: Sorry, I need leatherbound pounds to go with my wallet. NEXT!
Customer: I expected better service than this!
Bernard: Expect away. OUT!

Totally agree. I have been in some really nice used bookstores in a few cities. The ones I liked best were the ones that were well organized as well as somewhat clean...Just no garage sell Clutter. I have been in the mood and visited some really unorganized used book stores, I always came out with an armload of finds...I have to be in an adventurous mood for this...

Here is a place that has it right IMO.

A Novel Idea Bookstore, Our Story

I'm hoping to go there sometime this weekend. I might get lost in the throng of books, so if I don't post again, you will know that I've reached book nirvana and I'm not coming back.:lol:

A good used bookstore has to offer something more than your average high-street chain. Often this is collectible books, rare books or out of print items. I remember going to a tiny little bookshop which had about 80 books by Isaac Asimov, but only about 20 titles. There were stacks of boxes 'out back' waiting to be shelved. My opinion is that used bookstores need to maximise their range, whilst having extra stock available if needs be.

I really really really really really really really hate to say this, but Amazon.com has, for better or worse, turned into my ideal bookstore. I used to spend millenia browsing and once something caught my eye, I'd spend another millennium deciding whether it was worth the $20 or not. Online I can search and look for decent reviews to gauge further whether the book suits me or not. To top it off I get a discount. Though the entire thing sits on top of an infrastructure that's more volatile than we care to admit, the convenience has so far outdone all the local bookshops in my area (even the airplane-hanger sized Barnes & Nobles). I feel terrible admitting this, but I cannot deny this is where my book browsing/shopping has gone.

To make up for it, if I do find myself in a small cozy bookshop somewhere, I nearly always try to buy something. Bookstores are one of those niceties that I'd like to see stick around, but I'm directly part of the problem. Ugh...

Most of the used bookstores that I have been in were disappointments because of the poor selection. The best used bookstore I have been in also sold new books and there was an excellent selection available of both new and used books.

I mostly buy from Amazon.com but I love browsing through books in a bookstore and that is what is missing from Amazon (the ability to flip through the book). I know some books on Amazon allow a limited ability to see contents of the book but it is too limited when you are considering a cookbook, a garden book, an artbook or a book with high quality pictures.

In addition to my previous comment would love to see some
Mythological books as these are rarity these days, very difficult to find them..

I like a great bookstores, because the one hand I have good choice of autors and the other hand I have good choice of different prices

I bought used books online. I never go to bookstore for used books. The reason for that is i can find so many books online, and it saves times. I just type the title of the book i want on "search", and then click and purchase. After few days i will have my books.

Reactions: anu
*What separates a good used bookstore from a bad one?
Used bookstores should be clean and the books need to be well organized. I hate going into a used bookstore and seeing books stacked all over the place with no order (having fiction novels mixed with non-fiction books, etc.)
I also like used bookstores that offer credit on books that you bring to them.

*What kind of books do you expect to see at a used bookstore? What books give you a bad impression about the place?
It doesn't matter to me as long as the books are organized. Same with the big chain bookstores. If the books are oranized in there proper genre or type then I know where to go for the books that I like and which sections not to waste my time in. No book has ever given me a bad impression. Only people give me a bad impression.

*Do activities such as poetry readings, acoustic jams, and other events influence you as to whether or not you patronize a given businesss?
Not really. Some bookstores do have activities or environments that I find kind of corny but that doesn't stop me from purchasing from them if they have books that I want.

Back