• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

what entices you to purchase?

Shereen

I just wondered what entices or influences you all to purchase a particular book?
With me it is properly either the cover or from recommendations.

I just wondered about your thoughts?

thanks ;)

In order of importance (for lack of a better word):

1.) An author I've read before and enjoyed

2.) If it belongs to a genre I read often

3.) Reviews/word of mouth

4.) The cover art

Usually familiarity of a particular book whether it's due to the author, reviews, or the blurp on the back cover. I don't do much impulse buying anymore.

It depends on the book; most times I don't buy a book unless I have heard about it and it piques my interest. Sometimes I buy a book on impusle, but that is rare.

I mostly buy books that have been recommended or by authors I like to read. But, I did just buy Mister B. Gone mainly for the books design. Its made to look very old and beat up, even all the pages look like they are yellowing on the edges. I used to work in the printing industry for many years so that kind of stuff can peek my interest.

I haven't finished it yet so I'll have to let you know if its any good. :D

A variety of factors. Genre, subject matter (non-fiction) and author can all feature.

Often I have an idea of something I'd like to try and then I work from that point, often using Amazon to explore further.

All of the above.

Plus, sometimes travel starts me on a train of reading. I'm the reverse of those conscientious people who read up on a country before going there. Once I've seen a place and have pictures in my mind, then I like to read about it. A recent example is Greece. Now I'm reading about the Parthenon and the legend of Theseus and the Minotaur and more.

*An author I've read before an enjoyed

*Genre I enjoy

*Interesting Blurb on the back and interesting first few pages

*Recommendations or good reviews

*Topic of interest for non-fiction

Generally cover art does not sway me. I certainly appreciate an interesting cover, but I have never found the cover art to be an accurate guide to whether or not I will enjoy a book.

Generally cover art does not sway me. I certainly appreciate an interesting cover, but I have never found the cover art to be an accurate guide to whether or not I will enjoy a book.
I agree, Mister B. Gone has very unique cover art but it is turning out to be a mediocre story. I haven't finished it yet but with only 50ish pages to go I doubt it will surprise me.:(

This thread reminds me that it's been years since I just browsed a store OR library at random! I used to do that.

I think the biggest enticer for me is a good review, especially if it's an author I've already enjoyed.

I don't 'impulse buy' very often these days. Most of the books I buy are by authors that I am familiar with, and know I will enjoy. I have bought the odd book that I've heard rave reviews on, but mostly I borrow books from the library. :)

I mostly buy books that have been recommended or by authors I like to read. But, I did just buy Mister B. Gone mainly for the books design. Its made to look very old and beat up, even all the pages look like they are yellowing on the edges. I used to work in the printing industry for many years so that kind of stuff can peek my interest.

I haven't finished it yet so I'll have to let you know if its any good. :D

It sucked !!! :mad:

For some odd reaosn, I hate renting books from the library. I just hate the fact of having a time-table for reading. If I don't like the book, then I can put it away and maybe pick it up later and attempt to finish it.

I also like having a filled bookshelf.:D

For some odd reaosn, I hate renting books from the library. I just hate the fact of having a time-table for reading. If I don't like the book, then I can put it away and maybe pick it up later and attempt to finish it.

Same here - what if I don't feel like reading that particular book at that time - but it's only available for the few weeks timetable (say I want to read a popular book). Can't stand having a time-table like that.

I also prefer having my own TBR pile - a big selection and I have enough variety that I can usually find something to suit my mood. And it's handy, if I finish a book during the time when the library closes, I am still in luck.

As misleading as cover art (and the practically non-existent back cover blurb) is these days, I don't buy based on cover. I'll either buy because it is from an author I read or by word of mouth.

I'm not much for impulse buys either. In fact, I use interlibrary loan to preview a book I might want to purchase. I know it has saved me $$$$$. I don't often buy books unless I think it will get read or used more than once, as a reference. (Gift books don't count here). How I choose books is based on reviews and word of mouth. Reccomendations from trusted friends carry more weight than one from a stranger,such as in a magazine or newspaper.

I'm the opposite of these two above, I always buy books on impulse.

First, I will look for familiar favourites, for sure, but if none of those can be found (and often, they can't because my list of favourites is short), I pretty much search for certain type of story, depending on the current mood, and other books in my reading pile at the moment. I might take a look at the style the book is written by turning a page from the middle in the store, so I don't buy anything like those Che Guevara's diaries again, which seemed like a compelling read, but were written in a totally wrong style for my liking.

I've found many good authors, I would never had read otherwise, like this.

Most of tthe time I choose a book because it's an author I know, or have heard good things about. But every now and then I see a cover that catches my eye and I've just got to get it and see if it's any good. It should be said though that I buy all my books at a used bookstore and never spend more than a fraction of cover price.

Back