• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What have you planted recently?

we've already been enjoying lettuce from ours :D

me too! and spinach!

we also planted cucumbers, 3 kinds of tomatoes, beans, peas, radishes, swiss chard, zucchini and squash, potatoes, fennel, strawberries, bok choy, peppers and herbs

I have tons of veggies planted. And three more plants to go in today as well. I have cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, green bell peppers, onions, and cucumbers planted. Our family also has strawberries and beans.

pink dahlia

I planted a pink dahlia, I am not a fanatic of flower but it seems that dahlia is easy to manage by the way here are some info regarding this flower:
dahlias grown from seeds for first-year bloom will burn out in midsummer except in northern and cool western gardens. Tall plants may need staking. Tubers will mature at base of main stem at end of first season. Save plants you like by digging up tuber cluster, shaking off soil, and storing during winter in a cool, moist place. Separate tubers carefully before planting. These flowers prefer warm weather.

I planted a pink dahlia, I am not a fanatic of flower but it seems that dahlia is easy to manage by the way here are some info regarding this flower:
dahlias grown from seeds for first-year bloom will burn out in midsummer except in northern and cool western gardens. Tall plants may need staking. Tubers will mature at base of main stem at end of first season. Save plants you like by digging up tuber cluster, shaking off soil, and storing during winter in a cool, moist place. Separate tubers carefully before planting. These flowers prefer warm weather.

True,they are very easy to grow and some of them the flower is huge!My neighbor has them everywhere.

I have two tiny little green tomatoes :-D Nothing else has budded yet, but a lot of my veggie plants have blossoms now, so it's only a matter of time.

Question for those who know what they're doing (because seriously, I don't! lol): Is it normal for some of the leaves on my potted zucchini & yellow squash plants to turn yellow? I don't think I remember that happening in my mom's garden, but it's happening to mine so I wasn't sure. Could it be from overwatering? Other than that, the plants are thriving, so I'm not sure what the deal is....

I have two tiny little green tomatoes :-D Nothing else has budded yet, but a lot of my veggie plants have blossoms now, so it's only a matter of time.

Question for those who know what they're doing (because seriously, I don't! lol): Is it normal for some of the leaves on my potted zucchini & yellow squash plants to turn yellow? I don't think I remember that happening in my mom's garden, but it's happening to mine so I wasn't sure. Could it be from overwatering? Other than that, the plants are thriving, so I'm not sure what the deal is....

are they in the sun? any buds on there?

are they in the sun? any buds on there?

They're in the sun in the afternoon, until the sun hides behind the building on the other side of the street. Tons of buds, though, and big orange blossoms all over. A few fuzzy miniature vegetables, even. I pinched off the yellow leaves and the plants seem pretty happy with that. Guess I'm just an overanxious first-time parent :whistling:

They're in the sun in the afternoon, until the sun hides behind the building on the other side of the street. Tons of buds, though, and big orange blossoms all over. A few fuzzy miniature vegetables, even. I pinched off the yellow leaves and the plants seem pretty happy with that. Guess I'm just an overanxious first-time parent :whistling:

Probably,it's normal for a few yellow leaves.We cut the blossoms and fill them up with rice mixed with onions,garlic,mint salt ,pepper and olive oil and some tpmato and bake them until the rice is cooked.Yum!

it sounds like your going to have some delish vegees....I am sure they are fine.....:flowers:

my ginseng:
242vfjc.jpg

african violet:
23s7muv.jpg

basil:
rhqtxi.jpg

My favorite Hibiscus. I bought this plant without blossoms so I had no idea what they would look like when it bloomed. I like to live life on the botanical edge. I just love it when this happens!

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d24_MYap_Hibiscus001.jpg

In the past I've had large terrestrial gardens, growing everything from soup to nuts. Now, living in an apartment, my garden is in containers on a balcony. At first, this seemed a huge handicap - it's not. True, I cannot produce in quantity, but that is really the only limitation. On the plus side - no over-wintering, fast start with fully formed specimens, ability to change "mix" each season and easy care (I'm not 30 anymore) and an amazing sitting-out space.
My compact garden now matches "my life" as the large ones did in the past.

Garden Update

The peas and lettuce turned out well; I will plant again in autumn; the carrots didn't make it; the peanuts are flowering.

This is how the zinnias and loofah look now.
2303-albums42-picture233.jpg

The True Gold corn is at the silk stage but since it is a small crop I have doubts about the mature corn being filled.
2303-albums42-picture234.jpg

The Rouge d'Irak tomatoes are forming and still at the green stage.
2303-albums42-picture235.jpg

The Banana melons are doing well so far.
2303-albums42-picture236.jpg

Planted tomatoes in the backyard a couple of weeks ago, there's a bunch of tomatoes now. I might take a picture of it sometime soon.

Back