• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is your all time favourite Crime, Mystery or Thriller?

James Herbert
Lee Child
Harlan Coben

....All novels by the above would be in my all-time favorites

I enjoy reading mystery/murder (eg Jeffery Deaver, Patrician Cornwell etc), but a lot of times, I easily forget the plot after I read them, since I just read them for fun and not really trying to learn anything from them as I would from a non-fiction book.

But Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane made an impression since it has more of a unique twist.

I guess its considered a thriller.. but Michael Crichtons PREY i love............in fact my girlfriend loves it too before we started dating wed talk about that book...heh worked out good:D

James Lee Bourke, one of my favourite crime writers, has a brilliant series set in New Iberia in the US South, and another set in Montana. Both series are earthy and very much warts and all. He also has a very busy forum, where he answers readers questions, etc.

My favourite mystery serie is written by Cleo Coyle. It's a cosy crime located in New York City. Best to read on a rainy weekend with a hot cappuccino next to you.

James Lee Bourke, one of my favourite crime writers, has a brilliant series set in New Iberia in the US South, and another set in Montana. Both series are earthy and very much warts and all. He also has a very busy forum, where he answers readers questions, etc.

Burke is beyond brilliant , and having met the man , he's highly approachable and down to earth and once you get him rolling will discuss literature with you until your ears fall off.

And I find it amazing that his first work was turned down repeatedly by quite a number of publishers.

Have YOU got your " Robicheaux's Bait Shop" hat/t-shirt? ( chuckle).

And he quite captures the flavors of southern Louisiana in a way that nobody else does. As I stated in another post refering to him , his work is texturally accurate and highly complex and richly evocative , when he speaks of a breeze coming up the Bayou Teche you can almost feel/smell it.

And he's BEEN to these places , I ran one of my standard tests on him , he knows the difference between Plaquemines ( the town) and Plaquemines Parish.

And perhaps he hits so close to home with me in both the series because I was born in Texas and raised mostly in Mont. and Wyo, and have shirt-tail relatives all over s.e.Texas and southern Louisiana.

Makes me homesick for the smell of magnolias and honeysuckle , real crawfish boils , zydeco in knocked together out of plywood sheet bars where when the music starts the only way you're stting down is if you're dead or in a wheelchair and the folks in wheelchairs are out boogieing on the dance floor and the dead guy is propped up at the bar with a drink , along with the damp redolent air and quiet solitude of the Atchafalaya.

B.

Wow, Burke is one of the authors who I would most like to meet. I think I have read and enjoyed everything he has written. I know that must have been great fun for you B.

Also on my short list for mystery/thrillers:
Dennis Lehane & Walter Mosely
Favorites of theirs include Lehane's "Mystic River" and Mosely's "Cinnamon Kiss"

I really loved ¨Ten Little Niggers¨ by Agatha Christie! (Hope this title is not offensive to anyone!)

I never saw the ending coming! I thought it was so great :)

For me, it's a Dorothy L. Sayers as well, but it would be GAUDY NIGHT----or would it be BUSMAN'S HONEYMOON? Arrrrrrgh! Can't decide!

Best crime/thriller book I've read in the past year is Olen Steinhauer's THE TOURIST. Close behind would be Fred Vargas' WASH THIS BLOOD CLEAN FROM MY HAND and Jo Nesbo's THE REDBREAST and NEMESIS (I liked NEMESIS slightly better and can't wait for the next one, DEVIL'S STAR).

Very hard to pick one but I can remember my scalp actually tingling when I read the last sentence, which was a true zinger, in Harlan Coben's "Tell No One". It gave me the chills and, while many authors have made me want to write them at the end of the book, this stands out in my mind.

Coben's one of those authors who, when you think you've read it all, he adds something to make you jump out of your skin. Love him.

I cannot really say what is my favorite all time but perhaps it is The Main by Trevanian. It is about a detective in Montreal. Very unusual story and I believe it would be considered fine literature, not just a great mystery novel.

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher. Okay the detective is a wizard who investigates paranormal crime in modern day Chicago,but it still counts. It has suspense,humor, giant T-Rex killing zombies,zombies,necromancers,and general badassenry.

Back