• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is Your Library Like? (Contains Images)

SFG75

Don't know why, but I thought of this when I woke up and I just haven't been able to shake it all morning. Took the entire family to our local library and finally got the kids their cards. Came back with a ton of books and a few DVDs for the kiddos to enjoy in-between all that reading.

From the entrance:

as21.photobucket.com_albums_b300_scottgregory_00_th_a2b_day010.jpg

At the counter, facing the children's section:

as21.photobucket.com_albums_b300_scottgregory_00_th_a2b_day011.jpg

So what does yours look like?:cool: Yes, it's very small, but there's only so much that a community of 1,459 can do.

This is the entrance to my library.

los_altos_front.jpg

Of course, it is completely ridiculous that I go to a public library when I live on Stanford campus. But, Stanford just doesn't carry much fiction. The biggest library on campus, Green library, has one huge section underground called the "south stacks," which is the creepiest place I've ever been in my entire life. The lights are off all the time, and there are tons of dead ends. You have to punch on an aisle light if you want to venture down an aisle, and the clock starts ticking down from 15 minutes. And there's no cell phone reception, of course, with all the cement. It's no wonder that section of the library has a rep for trysts.

Well here's the entrance to the library I go to the most. It's inside a mall. I know it doesn't look like much but they got quite a lot of books. This is just from the library website!

BranchBigMILLWOODS.jpg

Libre-NIIIIIIIICE!. Was that the one in The Day After Tomorrow? I about screamed when the waters came all the way past the steps. "Not the books!!.":eek: :eek: It was the most harrowing part of the movie.:(

SFG75 said:
Libre-NIIIIIIIICE!. Was that the one in The Day After Tomorrow? I about screamed when the waters came all the way past the steps. "Not the books!!.":eek: :eek: It was the most harrowing part of the movie.:(

Nooo the worst part was when they burned all the books instead of all that wooden furtniture!!! :mad:

SFG75 said:
Yeah - that's the one. The main branch of the NY Public Library, 5th ave and 42nd St.
Funny thing - although I pass that library at least once a week, when I saw that movie I was at the outskirts of Death Valley - the hottest place in the Western Hemisphere.

Ok...I live in a town of around 130 people, if that, but I did find a couple pictures of it online.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v648_nikki_75us_library.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v648_nikki_75us_libbooks.jpg

I live close to a village called Thornliebank. While I don't use the library there, it is the nearest to me. It was built in 1897 in memory of Alexander Crum, one of the owners of the village.

thornliebank_library.jpg

What is Your Library Like?

I see that a lot of people on here say that they get their books from the library. I am envious of those people, I must admit.
I live in an area where I think I am one of only thirty people who enjoy reading and the two libraries within driving distance of me are so shoddy they should just be bulldozed and turned into strip clubs. Might as well get it over with.
The one closest to me has been horrible at best for years, but about five years ago they remodeled it so I decided to go back. The remodel involved getting rid of about 80% of the bookshelves and replacing them with computers. Uhh. Ok. Here is the real kicker. Videos! The rest of the whole place was full of videos. They had not even one book that I wanted to read. And I really looked for over an hour. It's pathetic. I would give it a one out of ten.
So what are the libraries around your house like?

Back