• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What other hobbies do you enjoy?

Congratulations, Holger! No wonder you've been conspicuously absent as of late. Quite a hobby you have there.

Welcome back.

The most efficient time dissolving substance known to man--children. In spite of that they are most definitely worth the effort, the wrinkles, gray hairs, and the 10pm, Midnight, 2am, and 4am diaper changes and feedings. Congratulations Holger! Especially if you're conscious enough to read this.

On the board game front we found a good one called Noggin Nosh and love it--its a left brain/right brain game. My other favorite is one of the original board games--chess. I have been sadly unable to find opponents in quite some time for that one.

Originally posted by jessica
Have either of you played a new game called Cranium? It looks interesting to me but I haven't shelled out the thirty dollars yet.
I'd never heard of the game before, so I went to their site. I must admit it doesn't really look like my thing though...

Originally posted by Prolixic
On the board game front we found a good one called Noggin Nosh and love it--its a left brain/right brain game. My other favorite is one of the original board games--chess. I have been sadly unable to find opponents in quite some time for that one.
I've never heard of Noggin Nosh either... And I can't seem to find anything on the Internet?

I read or heard somewhere that the Germans are really good at making board games. Has anyone perhaps played Settlers of Catan? My sister recently bought us Carcassonne (which was made by Klaus-Jurgen Wrede, the guy that did the Catan series as well) and it's a pretty neat game. Only problem: we've only had it for 10 days, and we've been wanting to get the extension for 5... LOL

I was surprised to see how many one on one games there are these days... mythological, fantasy, strategy, etc. Why don't they have stores that rent board games? That would make life so much cheaper ;)

Originally posted by jessica
Lies & Townbear--

Have either of you played a new game called Cranium? It looks interesting to me but I haven't shelled out the thirty dollars yet.
No, I haven't. But I've seen it in the stores & it does look interesting. With the price of games, I usually prefer to play the game at someone else's house after they've bought it first lol.
Pictionary is one of my fav. games.

I love music and film - all genres really, a very....strange selection. I enjoy pottering about with webdesign, mainly vbulletin customisation, nothing special though - by the way, let me join the queue of people saying nice site here Darren!

But my first love, and my reason for living I'm afraid, is Newcastle United FC. I'm an exiled Geordie, and spend most of my money, and all of my weekends travelling to matches the length and breadth of the country. The Champions League has also produced a major dent in my both my finances and my sick days this year :)

For any who don't know, NUFC

btw: notice the way I can't bear to change my "location" in forums, even though I've been away from the North-East for some time.....

OK, this may sound a bit dingy, but I just remembered one of my favorite pastimes. Are you ready? Spades. Great card game...could and have played it all night. That probably ranks number two behind bluegrass music.

Prolixic, have you read Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King? If not you may be interested giving it a try. Just substitute "Hearts" for "Spades" and you may find common ground with the main character.

Originally posted by Kaz
Tell you about my hobbies. I love Cross stitch that make me relax and enjoyable. I have load kits wait to sew!! I love to watch films and sometimes go to cinema. Of course I am crazy surf the nets and found something new which I enjoy to learn. I am so terribe when I go shopping especially book shop and stay there for hours to browse the new books!! Oooohhhh!! At last one of my hobbies that I can't live without..... read books.

I am with you Kaz. Nothing better than a Cross Stitch to relax with. It is even better if watching a classic like Pride and Prejudice at the same time.

I am also terrible in bookshops!!!! I could pull up a chair and stay there all day. I actually saw a bookshop advertised which had a coffee shop to relax and look at the books in. I daren't go there, because I may never been seen again........:D :D

Cheers, Vicky

I actually saw a bookshop advertised which had a coffee shop to relax and look at the books in.
Vicky, I found the same thing while on vacation in Hawaii! (I know, I know - what's she doing in a bookstore while vacationing in Hawaii?) The coffee shop was full of people having their coffee and lunch breaks while looking at books from the store.

There was a similar bookstore where I live. Unfortunately, they had to stop it because people were spending too much time browsing and not buying.

Snap, Vicky!! :) I like to sew Native Indians, Disney, Wizard, all sorts in xstitch. What about you? How often do you sew? I sew nearly everyday!
I know how you feel about bookshop. One day I went there with my friend and she try to drag me out of the shop because she know I spend there for hours!!

Bit of surprise for you and all I am deaf!!

Originally posted by Ell
Vicky, I found the same thing while on vacation in Hawaii! (I know, I know - what's she doing in a bookstore while vacationing in Hawaii?) The coffee shop was full of people having their coffee and lunch breaks while looking at books from the store.

There was a similar bookstore where I live. Unfortunately, they had to stop it because people were spending too much time browsing and not buying.

Sounds like my idea of a holiday.......:D :D :D

I love the idea of a coffee shop and bookstore, I just couldn't drag myself away from it though....lol.......I understand about the browsing and not buying. Maybe there should have been a surcharge if they didn't buy a book. It is the type of shop I would love to own or manage.

Cheers, Vicky

Originally posted by Kaz
Snap, Vicky!! :) I like to sew Native Indians, Disney, Wizard, all sorts in xstitch. What about you? How often do you sew? I sew nearly everyday!
I know how you feel about bookshop. One day I went there with my friend and she try to drag me out of the shop because she know I spend there for hours!!

Bit of surprise for you and all I am deaf!!

Hi Kaz

I will cross stitch or tapestry anything that stays still for too long :D :D I have done Beatrix Potter characters, gardens and old houses, animals, children saying their prayers etc.

It is the middle of summer here at the moment, and it has been really hot, so I don't sew as much I do in Winter. My mother and I also homeschool my daughter so that takes a lot of time as well.

I think it is great to find something which relaxes you so much.

I know what you mean about the bookshop too! I can be even worse at the Library:D :D

Cheers, Vicky

When I'm not reading I go Scuba Diving. I dive with the local club and we travel all round the British coast during the summer months.
I've also been lucky enough to dive in the Carribean, the Med, the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean (in the Maldives).

I'm also a fan of history and archaeology and I'm a member of SOAG (South Oxfordshire Archaeology Group). We have 'our own' Roman Villa which we dig sections of during the summer months.

PS

Forgot to mention I'm also a fan of Rugby Union. The Six Nations Championship starts tomorrow so the next few weekends are going to be spent in the pub with a few pints watching the matches on the big screen.

When I can tear myself away from my books I do home distilling, a lot of web surfing, a bit of genealogy research, a bit of gardening, competitive Scrabble, and a huge amount of hanging around on bulletin boards (under various names.) I am a cricket fan, I don't pay any attention to any sport with larger balls. I collect folding 35mm cameras, but have temporarily put my photography on hold.

I love to write - I've completed a novella and novel based on the same land I've created (I've even got a map of the place) - and I'm still writing on the thing. There's so much story in my mind that hasn't been told yet. I've also done a few children's stories. I'd love to refine them and eventually get them published. It's just finding the motivation to take that next step. And of course, poetry.

I draw - I learned to draw while watching Disney cartoons back in the 80's, 90's. But now I'm trying to work with realism and am even looking at various styles, anime/manga/American comics, etc to try my hand at different things.

I make jewelry - this is my newests interest. I've been doing it about 3 months maybe and have done many exchanges. It's addicting!

I crossstitch - but in spurts. I haven't done so in a while.

Music - sing, play piano, compose. I'm working on a new song. It's all instrumental, movie-soundtrack sounding stuff. I'm not good at making songs that would work as popular tunes.

Dance - I've done ballet and hip-hop and am trying to find a new studio to do ballet and jazz. I haven't been doing this long. I certainly wish I had done it as a child.

Video games - yep, I'm a gamer girl and I love my playstation.

Ok, Hollis, is there anything you don't do? :)

It's nice to hear that we, as avid readers, don't spend all of our time with their nose in a book. We enjoy life as well. I guess that goes against stereotype, doesn't it? It's funny-when someone sees me reading, they look curious, or puzzled. It's like their perception changes of me. Egad, she's a reader! I can almost see the wheels turning in their heads, trying to fit me into some sort of stereotypical mold..."a reader".

books and movies (dvd and in the theatre) of course.

i work with animals at the local shelter when i have time.

i'm currently trying to learn how to quilt, as i love the beautiful designs you can make in quilts, and they're so warm and comfy.

i surf the web a lot.

i run and i swim when i have time.

i like to draw and paint as well, but haven't in a long long time.

and board/card games are a daily thing between my husband and i.

other than that i'm supposed to be doing work for my degree, though i wouldn't say that's a hobby really...

like sports, specially trekking, climbing, moutaineering, running, swimming, football, tennis...

music, to hear it, go to the concerts, discuss it.... ( my fav are Sonic Youth, Tom Waits, Brian Eno, and also Rem, Throwing Muses, Patti Smith, Kristin Hersh, ....

go out with friends : walk, cafe, somewhere, ...

computers and Net a bit

movies, more in video..

more ???!!

Back