• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What the Hell?! Post deletion blows!

ions

I've had perfectly fine posts deleted without any reason given! I understand this isn't a land of free speech but apparently you can say the dumbest shit you want except pointing out said dumb shit.

F'n ridiculous.

Frm now 0n 1m postin l1k3 thisd!!!oneone111!! Wll it k33p my shit from geting del?

And yeah I know this is getting deleted.

Mods at least have the decency to communicate with me please.

I've had two posts, at least, deleted recently. The two I can confirm were in the stupid thread about the most whackest books.

The posts that have been deleted from the "whackest books" thread were removed because we received many complaints, both public and private about the off topic "discussion" in that thread.

I'm sorry that it wasn't explained to you earlier. That was my job and I dropped the ball to deal with a mini-emergency in the real world.

I must admit, I find it extremely frustrating when the muppets are given free reign to post absolute nonsense. I think it reflects badly at times and those who can string a sentence together get unfairly dismissed in favour of those who make a mockery of what is supposed to be discussion on books and not attention deficit posting.

Thinking of it, while I've had an apology for my temporary banning, I've still not been told (as far as I can recall) as to why I was given such a "punishment" as such a process is not mentioned in the User Agreement. I usually get fobbed off with "Darren says so.." but if that is the truth I would like to hear it firsthand.

ions said:
I've had perfectly fine posts deleted
Nothing is fine about highjacking.

you can say the dumbest shit you want except pointing out said dumb shit.
A big, smelly turd does not need to be pointed out. The members here can see it and walk away without stepping in it. And if they do step in it, they better stay off the carpets.

Forgive me, I couldn't resist sharing my thoughts.

I don't presume to be very knowledgeable, but I've been a member on many forums and a moderator on one. I also admin at my own forum. Very few forums I know of delete posts without warning unless it's totally spam. I myself generally don't delete posts on my forum unless it was about asking for private information or about moderation or ban reasons. (I PM the users).

I am a fairly regular member of The Admin Zone forums and I see a lot of member issues like this crop up.

Off-topic is something every board has to learn to live with. People come to a forum to socialize to an extent and cannot be expected to be completely on-topic (robotic) all the time. That's too much to expect and a community grows only because you allow members to socialize to an extent.

Rules are great - they should form a set of guidelines to be referred by admins and moderators in certain situations. I myself don't believe in strictly enforcing rules - it's a community killer if there ever was one. Whether right or wrong, moderator actions are seen as heavy-handed by members - you cannot get around that.

The best compromise, in my opinion is to moderate, but keep the member informed by private communication as to what exactly he/she did wrong and why certain actions are to be taken. I think that 99% of people are reasonable and respond politely to explanatory messages from admins and mods.

Best regards.

Well, it looks like this may be the next thread to get locked down, or this the next post to be deleted.

It seems to me, that if everyone spent more energy actually posting about books, and less time worrying what everyone else was posting and if it was strictly on topic this place would be a lot more enjoyable.

ions' posts remind me of that post someone wrote a couple months ago making fun of people who declare they're leaving and keep coming back to see if anyone supports them or begs them to stay.

I agree with harishankar. It would be nice if people stayed on topic, but a lot of times, going off topic is fun.

I would say a lot depends on what one's image of the forum is or ought to be. A nice Jane Austen drawing room on a nice Sunday afternoon with the Reverend an invited guest, so that everyone is on best behavior and minding their "P"s and "Q"s? Or perhaps the midway at a state fair with all the hurly burly of pitch men and mooing cows and meeting of old friends in the milling crowd? Or perhaps a gathering of the whole family around, say, the Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner table with everyone speaking at once about whatever? Or perhaps a sidewalk in New York, or London or Bombay? Or perhaps the busy bar I was once in where one of the inebriated was lying quietly on the floor out of the way without anyone taking any notice?
I still haven't figured it out,
But I'd opt for the Midway,
Moreso than the drawing room,
Peder

There seems to be some confusion about why ions' posts (and so many posts from some other members) were deleted from the "Most Whackest Books" thread.

They were not removed for going off topic. It's very rare that we would delete a post purely for being off topic. If the new topic is very popular, we might split it off into its own thread, but often we leave well alone and the talk goes back to the original subject.

Certain posts were removed, as the people who posted them have been informed, because they were rude and/or aggressive to other members. There were so many of this kind of post that when they were deleted, a four-page thread became a one-page thread. We received complaints about these posts and the moderators and Darren agreed with the complainants.

The Membership Agreement said:
3.8 You agree that you will not use The Book Forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

Halo said:
Certain posts were removed, as the people who posted them have been informed, because they were rude and/or aggressive to other members. There were so many of this kind of post that when they were deleted, a four-page thread became a one-page thread. We received complaints about these posts and the moderators and Darren agreed with the complainants.

When, I for example, have a problem I want aired I am happy to make it public because it lets other users who may be quiet on the subject see that their grievances are felt elsewhere. When I do I'm told to take it the mods or Darren. So I'm a little miffed that Darren should have locked that thread without giving the chance to speak back.

I find that on this forum you encourage people to iron out their differences via PM and then other times you pander to whims of silly little people who go running to mother when someone says something they disagree with. So, which is it?

I don't appreciate the secrecy and I have no doubt others don't and wish the mods would get on with proper duties without prompting.

Please note, this post is in no way meant to be incediary but an airing. Why would I want to PM one mod when there's five people in control of this forum? It's much better to discuss problems openly on a thread than in a series of PMs.

Stewart said:
When, I for example, have a problem I want aired I am happy to make it public because it lets other users who may be quiet on the subject see that their grievances are felt elsewhere.

I know I'm pointing out the obvious here, but not everyone feels the same as you, Stewart. Some people are, like you, happy to discuss everything publicly, but other members prefer just to have a quiet word via PM.

Stewart said:
I find that on this forum you encourage people to iron out their differences via PM and then other times you pander to whims of silly little people who go running to mother when someone says something they disagree with. So, which is it?

How exactly is removing rude posts "pandering to the whims of silly little people"? Opposing viewpoints are fine, it's the way in which they're expressed that can be the problem. People have the right to take part in discussions without being verbally attacked. All members have the right to start threads, regardless of intellect, spelling ability or anything else. Sure, if someone's written a post in barely comprehensible text-speak then it is fine to politely point out that posts should be written in a form of English that all our members can understand. However, it is not fine to start harassing or belittling that member. If this kind of thing gets anyone so annoyed that they can't be civil, then perhaps they would be better keeping out of the thread.

Stewart said:
(I) wish the mods would get on with proper duties without prompting.

Proper duties does include making sure people stick to the Membership Agreement Stewart, not just things like merging threads and removing spam.

Halo said:
The Membership Agreement said:
3.8 You agree that you will not use The Book Forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

There seems to be some confusion about why ions' posts (and so many posts from some other members) were deleted from the "Most Whackest Books" thread.

They were not removed for going off topic. It's very rare that we would delete a post purely for being off topic. If the new topic is very popular, we might split it off into its own thread, but often we leave well alone and the talk goes back to the original subject.

I have refrained from posting in this thread so far, but as one of the members whose posts were deleted, I am struggling to see how any of the posts in that thread infringed the Membership Agreement posted above. The posts weren't hateful or harassing but were merely our viewpoints.

Stewart said:
It's much better to discuss problems openly on a thread than in a series of PMs.

Excellent point-and allow me to add, deleting threads makes it hard to get down to the core problem of the situation. It takes a simple problem and enshrouds it in secrecy and muddies up the situation as it becomes a "he said-she said" thing after the thread is gone. No matter what it is-leave it up!. That way, those who are in the wrong, know what they've done and everyone else does to. We can't edit posts after the first ten minutes out of some perceived need for clarity and to prevent pot-shots at people. If that is the case, then why should mods delete threads? Sounds a little mixed up if you ask me.

On top of that, when a thread is deleted, TELL THE PERSON!. A lot of negativity and bad feelings can be smoothed over with communication.

I also don't buy the "take it to PM" crap.:rolleyes: When it's out in the open, a given poster or mod can be rightfully called out on something where they were egregiously wrong or need to realize a different viewpoint that may not come up in a one on one conversation. Heck, I use to work for a place that had that kind of policy intentinally-they knew they couldn't pull half the crap they did if they had to defend it on the sales floor as opposed to behind closed doors in a one on one setting. Coincidence?

I've cut back my own participation as I cracked a joke on the "book of the month" thread and it was deleted. Did someone complain? The answer given to someone else was that influencing votes isn't desired-o.k., but is there such a thing as context? Since how is cracking a joke about the cadaver book influencing votes? We can't tell now because the posts are gone. So now, the issue is more complicated than it needs to be.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Fine-but I disagree with that decision and think it was done rather capriciously and without merit.

Back