• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What was the best book you read in 2005?

The Da Vinci Code and Harry Potter.

Sorry, had to throw Stewart's favorites in just for laughs.:D :D :D

In all seriousness, I'd have to say Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath and for contemporary authors, Sleeper Cell by Jeffrey Anderson. The latter is about a terrorist attack on the U.S. featuring biological warfare. Anderson is an M.D. and finding out what certain things would do to your body was very interesting. The writing was somewhat plain but the material in the body of the work held my interest.

I can't just choose one, but the three best ones were: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke, The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint. All three of these books mix the real and ordinary with the magically extraordinary. Very recommended reading!

SFG75 said:
Sorry, had to throw Stewart's favorites in just for laughs.:D :D :D
Stewart isn't the only TBF member who pointedly doesn't appreciate (the amazing ;) ) Dan Brown though!

I don't think I read a good book in 2005. It seems such a long time ago now anyway, but I think Lolita was the only good book I read that year, so I'll go with that... Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov.

Just one? :eek: 2005 was a reading filled year for me, I had so much more time for reading... Among my favourites were Out by Natsuo Kirino, Bitten by Kelley Armstrong, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, and Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. :)

I would have to say Out by Natsuo Kirino. Hands down favourite. Also really enjoyed were Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton, and The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Those ones are the standouts.

I have more than 1

Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd

Just about any Daphne Du Maurier I read. But my top 3 of hers (I read like 12) are Rebecca, My Cousin Rachel, and Frenchman's Creek

The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus - Margaret Atwood

Kings Row - Henry Bellamann

Cross Stitch (aka Outlander) by Diana Gabaldon, but Life of Pi by Yann Martel and Oryx and Crake and The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood also deserve a mention.

I think Club Dumas by Arturo perez-Reverte, Middlesex & the Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides, Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson were my favorites this year and all for the same reason, they were wonderfully told stories with characters I really liked and felt something for, scenery that I could clearly see and they are books I could read again.

If I just picked one, it would have to be The Ha-Ha by David King. The runner up would be Six Bad Things by Charlie Huston.

Apart from Lolita by Nabokov, it would have to be Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. In a half-dozen or so vignette stories, David Mitchell tells the story of man on Earth, from way back when, to way out there in the future, including the most staggering account of the end of life on Earth that I have ever read or imagined. I think it will haunt you for days after, as it did me.
Peder

The best book I read in 2005 that was released in 2005 was probably Thud! by Terry Pratchett

The best book I read in 2005 overall was Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen Donaldson.

2005 was quite a banner year for book-reading. My top five:

1.) Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

2.) Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangeremgba

3.) Dry by Augusten Burroughs

4.) Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris

5.) The Alienist by Caleb Carr

Actually I forgot about one that I read earlier in '05, The World According to Garp. That was a terrific read and one of my favorites from last year.

VIDEODROME said:
Actually I forgot about one that I read earlier in '05, The World According to Garp. That was a terrific read and one of my favorites from last year.

That was a good one, I read this year too.

Back