• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

what's everyone up to today?

jenn

it is gorgeous here today and the city i live in does an annual spring clean up where they will pick up big stuff, furniture, old appliances etc. so last night, anything that was not good enough to yard sale or donate to charity got kicked to the curb. they took everything except our old lime green shag carpet that was in our bedroom, so i will have to drag that back up to the house sometime today.
so in the spirit of spring cleaning i am tearing apart the house. i am one of those sick people who wishes i had 2 -3 days to myself to really go at it, but some crazy people in my house insist that we go to park and bbq. :rolleyes: :D
this afternoon i am going to the family resource centre that i volunteer at to participate in a focus group.
and then i am coming home and making dinner. beef and broccoli and rice.

what are y'all up to today?

Lovely day here too! The sun is shining and I rode my bike to the university for the first time this year - my gears are freshly lubed and she's working like a charm. I think I'll hit the trails this afternoon.

I have a buttload of work to get done for the thesis that's hanging about my head, and having watched a defense this morning I've got all systems switched to getting some serious reading done today. I also downed a coffee in a moment of insanity, which I never drink usually because it upsets my stomach, so that's also contributing towards my motivation.

Then this evening I have my kung fu class where I will kick the crap out of something :D .

it's fantastic here today, too. we've had summer weather here for almost 2 weeks.

today i'm off to LA for work. i'm leaving at noon and will be back thursday night. i'm not a big fan of travelling for work, but at least it breaks the routine up a bit

we had our spring clean up a few weeks ago. before we even finished piling everything up in front of the house we had people rummaging through the stuff!

Jenem said:
we had our spring clean up a few weeks ago. before we even finished piling everything up in front of the house we had people rummaging through the stuff!

same here. some people really do throw away good stuff. ours was all crap so our street was slim pickin's

It was raining earlier, so I was bracing myself for a fight. My dog hates going out in the rain. It’s clear now and looks as if it’s going to be OK.

We've had a mix of sun and showers, but lots of flowers are popping out everywhere. I'm not very into spring cleaning yet, I've poked around in a few closets here and there. I wish we had a pick up day, I always have to call and haul my junk all over town.

Today I go to paint rainbows with a bunch of 1st graders, I volunteer at the school everyday, helping with arts, crafts & library time. I love working with the kids and teachers.

In work today :(

It was pouring down earlier but the sun is shining & the sky is blue now!

About to go & join the gym now :D

Stewart said:
Unfortunately I'm training in Crystal Reports. :(

I love Crystal Reports! I wish I was working with it right now.

Today, I'm trying to determine how best to resign my position. (Imagine Charlie Brown - UGH!)

Krys said:
I love Crystal Reports! I wish I was working with it right now.

I've spent a whole day sitting with a bunch of beginners in CR 11, for some reason, and going through the degrading practice of working through worksheets with exercise titles such as My First Report despite the fact that I've worked with CR 9 for over a year.

Having to "learn" how to use an if...else control structure despte having been programming for 20 years was equally painful. :(

And then the guy goes, here's a little challenge, make the result of your DateDiff not only say the number of days but include days. A few seconds later and I've produced an output ten times better than his example (his was simply: ToText(DateDiff("d", {Orders.Order Date}, {Orders.Ship Date}), 0) & " days". Went one better and pissed him off. :D Determined a plural or singular and reduced processing time using a variable and a control strucure.

:D I hate pissy training courses. Something I could maybe need would be good. :rolleyes:

where have you been all my life, stewart? I really suck at programming, but the school I go to makes all IT students learn vb and coldfusion. for some reason it hasn't clicked.

Stewart said:
:D I hate pissy training courses. Something I could maybe need would be good. :rolleyes:

Hah! Sounds like a seminar I attended at a convention last week. It was entitled "Designing and Implementing Orientation and Training Programs". So, I thought it was going to be about creating an orientation for new employees. Instead, it turned out being a session filled with "games" that were completely unrelated to the topic, i.e. "Food Safety Jeopardy" that included questions on how to calibrate a thermometer.

With your background, why in the world are you in a beginner's course? Is ver 11 really that different? I was certified on CR8.5, and unfortunately, haven't been in a position to use it much for the past 3 years...

Hang in there.

Krys said:
With your background, why in the world are you in a beginner's course?

I have no idea. Basically, CR is new to the company. They've only been using it for about 1½ years. They are looking to expand its userbase within the place now and there's newbies getting trained up. I think they just want everyone at the same level of know how.

Is ver 11 really that different?

From what I can gather, it's mostly aesthetics. I suppose we should expect that since it's an output oriented tool. Although it's look is more like it should be Crystal Reports .NET - it has the same sort of IDE as Visual Studio.NET and the same blue gradient of MS Office 2003. I don't see much new functions; I see some new defaults, funkier charts.

My day consisted of getting up at 5:30am, getting into work by 6:45am, spending the best part of the daylight hours there doing my job and generally winding people up (hey....it gets results!).

Came out of work at 5pm, then went to the gym for a few hours to take out the aggression on the weights and punchbag. Home about 7pm. Had dinner, watched The Hustle on BBC and came online. Off to bed in a minute to read and hopefully complete Live Bait by PJ Tracy :)

Back