• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's It Like By You Today?

Sunny and warming..after yesterday's snow, we get to warm up today to about 61. By Saturday, we're supposed to be reaching 75. I love being a Kansan!

According to a certain rodent, it was supposed to be done a few weeks back! See what comes of trusting an overgrown rat for weather forecasting?

I don't trust weather guessers, two legs or four. I don't pay close attention to the little furry fellow, but I understand he has a poor track record.

I'm just glad to not be hearing so much talk about the drought we've suffered for the last two or three years. They aren't saying it's over yet, but they're not posting the dire worries they were just a month ago.

Yeah, I don't know about that. What I do know is that we had a warm winter followed by spring that greeted us with snow.

It was fairly warm and dry here til February. Then we got lots of snow over a two week period. Been raining off and on since. No complaints on the moisture. Mr Abc will ALWAYS gripe about the snow. Always. Our Winters are often up and down though..It is not uncommon to have several days of almost balmy weather in the dead of winter. Then it will go back to nasty cold, with or without snow. Almost always with strong winds...We put Chicago to shame there.

Chicago? I did a winter just north of Chicago. I didn't mind the snow (I grew up in Michigan), but that wind off the lake was something I'll never forget.

It has been strange. I didn't even have to prep my motorcycle for winter, I kept riding on those warm afternoons.

Chicago? I did a winter just north of Chicago. I didn't mind the snow (I grew up in Michigan), but that wind off the lake was something I'll never forget.

It has been strange. I didn't even have to prep my motorcycle for winter, I kept riding on those warm afternoons.

I meant the wind...Our original roof had whole sections of tiles that never sealed properly; they'd flap in the wind, and we were constantly losing a few at a time. Finally dh looked into our warranty on the tiles(he did the roofing himself), and saw the part that said that if the wind EVER blew more than 35 mph, the warranty was null and void. When he called the local weather office to see just how many days in a year we exceeded that number, the dude horse laughed. So, we waited for another storm and turned it in on our homeowners insurance..Some storm systems bring us inland hurricane conditions. I remember one day hearing a crash and I looked out the back door to see our metal shed rolling across the yard to land across the neighbor's fence. That was real.

Yeah, that's a nasty bit of wind alright. We get a lot winds like that when tropical storms and hurricanes come up the coast. One year, it took the roof off the building I was working in.

Yeah, that's a nasty bit of wind alright. We get a lot winds like that when tropical storms and hurricanes come up the coast. One year, it took the roof off the building I was working in.

My neighbour told me it takes approximately a year to fully repair damage caused by a storm, The chimney on my roof has been rendered with new roughcast today which is the last of the damage from last year's storm.

My neighbour told me it takes approximately a year to fully repair damage caused by a storm, The chimney on my roof has been rendered with new roughcast today which is the last of the damage from last year's storm.

There is a house behind our row of houses(we're on five acre lots), that was so damaged by a tornado nearly 22 years ago, that the lady who lived there had to just walk away from it; leaving the contents as they were because it was too dangerous to pull stuff out. She was in the house at the time, and managed to wedge herself between the stove and the wall in her kitchen. The storm twisted the house on it's foundation. At the time of that storm, we had just two weeks prior, barely missed being hit by a devastating storm still remembered as The Andover Tornado..that storm started about five miles south of where we live now and then two weeks later, another storm tracked through here, where we'd just started building this house.

There is a house behind our row of houses(we're on five acre lots), that was so damaged by a tornado nearly 22 years ago, that the lady who lived there had to just walk away from it; leaving the contents as they were because it was too dangerous to pull stuff out. She was in the house at the time, and managed to wedge herself between the stove and the wall in her kitchen. The storm twisted the house on it's foundation. At the time of that storm, we had just two weeks prior, barely missed being hit by a devastating storm still remembered as The Andover Tornado..that storm started about five miles south of where we live now and then two weeks later, another storm tracked through here, where we'd just started building this house.

Wow, my storm would've been a little breeze compared with that monster.

Tornadoes are scary business. I can see why some people want to risk life and limb to chase them, but I prefer to let them do that while I cower in my basement! Oth, if it's light enough outside, we'll go out and see if we can see anything coming our way before making that run...You just have to know your geography and use judgement. For instance, if the radio dude says there's a tornado on the ground three miles south of my town, and even says things like "just south of the river" or 'by the sewage plant', going outside to gawk would be insane.;)

Wow, you talk about it like tornadoes are a routine occurrence, ABC, like we talk about possible snow falls in the winter.

I live smack dab in the middle of Tornado Alley, Robert. I'm talking to my daughter on FB as I write this, telling her she might want to bring over a bag with diapers, clothes and shoes to leave in the storage room/hidey hole. Who needs Doomsday; Prepping for storms is just good sense.

I live smack dab in the middle of Tornado Alley, Robert. I'm talking to my daughter on FB as I write this, telling her she might want to bring over a bag with diapers, clothes and shoes to leave in the storage room/hidey hole. Who needs Doomsday; Prepping for storms is just good sense.

You know best, ABC.

Back