• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's the Point Of BAR/TBF Blog

Motokid

What's the point of the BAR/TBF blog?

Doesn't it take away from the idea of forum discussion and place these thoughts and ideas in "another" area that might not invite conversation?

If the idea of a forum is to promote conversation then I don't get why members would need the blog.

Please explain.

(since I can't edit above post.....:( )

What is it you might post in a TBF/BAR blog that you wouldn't otherwise post in a thread?

I just think that giving people blogs will furthor detract from the posting at BAR/TBF.

Plus....don't people who want blogs already have them? They are free.

I even hate using the word "blog".

So, comments please.

Blogs are a kind of journal, so I think you'd tend to post your thoughts and ideas in it. You can set entries as private, or just make them visible to your buddy list or certain other members. Althought there is a comments feature for each blog entry, they're not meant for long discussions.

There was a discussion here and here a while back and these are examples of what a blog can be used for.

True, you could setup a blog on any of the free blog sites, or you could even buy a domain and hosting space and install your own blog, but why not do it here where your fellow readers and friends already are?

i guess the only one who can aswer about the intention of the blog system is darren
but really dont see the point of complaining about it, its a great add on to the board, an extra service for the users you might say, i mean sure i can have a blog at blogger.com just like who knows how many millions, but i also can have a blog from a community i enjoy belonging to....
(after all this is not (just) "the book forum" anymore)

I don't think a blog can detract from the forum. I'm not sure I'll use it much, but if I do, it's here. That's the point.

2-0 pro-blog.

:D
This is a definite non-issue and a waste of band width if there ever was one. Occlith is right, for folks who want to use it, it will be an added benefit. Not everyone will use it, but there are others who woud like to use it to keep track of the books they read every month.

BTW-I've been blogging like mad here, but still "contribute." Interesting that contribution is all of a sudden an issue, espeically when someone has just all of a sudden reappeared out of nowhere.:rolleyes: Just my honest opinion.

but really dont see the point of complaining about it

It's not a complaint.
Simply a few questions.
A conversation starter about a new feature to this forum.
(one could even think of it as marketing for the new feature....if one was entrepreneurial...)

It's certainly a feaure that's easy to ignore. Much easier than ignoring some of the other things around here that are a bother.

It's simply a few questions. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

There's no requirement for the blog to be used in a book related context. I'm sure if someone wanted to blog any old crap then that would be fine. And then the any old crap would be kept away from the forum.

It's not a complaint.
Simply a few questions.

It is a complaint, though more of a trolling nature IMHO.

It's certainly a feaure that's easy to ignore. Much easier than ignoring some of the other things around here that are a bother.

Ahhhh, now we get to your underlying motive.;) Well, lets have a conversation. Have you apologized to the admin for slamming him here on his board about his "absence"? The thread was deleted and you were allowed to walk. Pretty classy of Darren considering your actions. I would think you would be a little more appreciative.

A lot of new folks won't remember your history here, but I do. We have a great board and this is one heck of a feature. Sorry, but I'll continue to call you out when your words and alleged "concerns" ring hollow.

I see the blog option as another opportunity to visit with the folks. There has not been many chatty threads here, even in the general chat area, and this is a way to remedy that perhaps. I think it's a good move. If I'm wrong, at least an effort was made, and I'm glad for that.

There has not been many chatty threads here, even in the general chat area, and this is a way to remedy that perhaps.

Yes...this thread does have the potential to increase discussion.
It should also call attention to the new feature in a slightly different manner.

I think it's a good move.
I thought this thread was a good move too. Thanks.

I really do want to know why people blog, and what they would post in a blog that they wouldn't post in the forum.

I don't do a lot of blogging myself. If you look at my xanga you'll see I don't post often. I tend to rely on my involvment in several favorite forums as a kind of sprawled out version of blogging. For really private stuff, there's spiral bound notebooks in the closet, which my cyberfriends will never see.

Yes...this thread does have the potential to increase discussion.

She wasn't talking about this thread Moto, she was talking about the blog option as being a haven for the "chatty" non-book discussion. Let's examine the first part of her statement, which provides the correct context of the statement:

I see the blog option as another opportunity to visit with the folks. There has not been many chatty threads here,

Now, keep in mind a few things

1.)The blog option is mentioned

2.) abecedarian did not mention your creation of this pointless thread as being a tool for increasing discussion.

I really do want to know why people blog, and what they would post in a blog that they wouldn't post in the forum.

Hmmmmm, did you read that people wanted an area to list their books read for the year? Or that other "chatty" items can go there?

BTW

WHERE IS YOUR APOLOGY TO DARREN FOR CRITICIZING HIM FOR BEING "ABSENT"?

She wasn't talking about this thread Moto, she was talking about the blog option as being a haven for the "chatty" non-book discussion. Let's examine the first part of her statement, which provides the correct context of the statement:

Now, keep in mind a few things

1.)The blog option is mentioned

2.) abecedarian did not mention your creation of this pointless thread as being a tool for increasing discussion.

Hmmmmm, did you read that people wanted an area to list their books read for the year? Or that other "chatty" items can go there?

BTW

I think somebody missed the stop for Realityville.....:D

I think somebody missed the stop for Realityville.....:D

You misrepresented abecedarian's statement, that is a FACT. She was talking about the blog network, not your thread. Try reading it again

Oh, and....

He has run this board admirably well, you should take a few notes for when you start a forum yet again.:D

You misrepresented abecedarian's statement, that is a FACT. She was talking about the blog network, not your thread. Try reading it again

Oh, and....

He has run this board admirably well, you should take a few notes for when you start a forum yet again.:D

I think somebody needs a nap.....perhaps a warm glass of milk....

I think somebody needs a nap.....perhaps a warm glass of milk....

You're still wrong about abecedarian's statement.

Do the right thing and go from there.

You're still wrong about abecedarian's statement.

Do the right thing and go from there.

Perhaps it's these kinds of personal, bizarre, and completely off-the-wall thoughts that would make perfect examples of things that should be blogged about? :p

Maybe that would be a good exercise for you to get involved in?

Help you to calm your inner demons. ;)

You've been egregiously wrong about three things.

1.)Your intent for criticism, as oopposed to your stated goal of just asking a question.

You did fine asking questions until you couldn't just contain yourself by posting this:

Plus....don't people who want blogs already have them? They are free.

That sir, is a criticism, not a question. Sorry, you lose.

2.)Misrepresenting abecedarian's comment about the blog option and taking her comment as a vaildation for your inane thread.

3.)Failure to own up to your irresponsible attack on Darren as I pointed out. You don't deny it, so that is quite telling for folks.

Yes, I'm stubborn and rather disagreeable. That is beside the point. Keep trying to sweep aside the main points, especially since you in no way can prove otherwise.

So, once again,

You've been egregiously wrong about three things.

1.)Your intent for criticism, as oopposed to your stated goal of just asking a question.

You did fine asking questions until you couldn't just contain yourself by posting this:

That sir, is a criticism, not a question. Sorry, you lose.

2.)Misrepresenting abecedarian's comment about the blog option and taking her comment as a vaildation for your inane thread.

3.)Failure to own up to your irresponsible attack on Darren as I pointed out. You don't deny it, so that is quite telling for folks.

Yes, I'm stubborn and rather disagreeable. That is beside the point. Keep trying to sweep aside the main points, especially since you in no way can prove otherwise.

So, once again,

There's only one person with a problem here.
There's only one person having a negative effect on this thread, and the forum as a whole.

There's only one person here with a problem.

First initial: "S"

Again, perhaps you should blog about it and not bring down the rest of the forum with your personal problems.

(nice little segue, again, to get back on-topic with this thread....:cool: )

Back