• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's wrong with the public library?

BenjaminDixon said:
Yes indeedy, I did find a tooth, but it fell out when I took the book from the shelf.

There HAS to be a story there somewhere, but I'm not sure if its a comedy or a horror story!

I used to read loads of library books when I was a kid; they let me have a ticket for the adult section when I was eleven and there were all sorts of strange books in there. I have since heard though that someone has been through many of them and crossed all the rude words out. The town and university also had wonderful record libraries so I could pick anything I liked the look of without investing money in it. I don't use the local library now as my books are more of a collection that I like looking things up in and re-reading.

Dan Luna said:
I used to read loads of library books when I was a kid; they let me have a ticket for the adult section when I was eleven and there were all sorts of strange books in there. I have since heard though that someone has been through many of them and crossed all the rude words out. The town and university also had wonderful record libraries so I could pick anything I liked the look of without investing money in it. I don't use the local library now as my books are more of a collection that I like looking things up in and re-reading.

Crossing out the rude words-reminds me of the other night when my four year old son tattled in his most obnoxious, "i'm getting you in trouble" tone, "Ben said a cuss word!" Upon further questioning, the offending word was 'stupid' and Ben was not using it as an offensive name, he just said something was stupid to do...So, 'offensive' can be a loaded term!

I very seldom borrow books from the library, although I do have a current card entitling me to do so. Only if I am fairly sure I won't like the book, and really, really want to try to read it will I borrow any more.

For some reason, they want me to return the books! Imagine that!:p :eek:

When it comes to books I own, I could quote Mr. C. Heston, in that they have to be pried from my cold dead fingers. :D

I very seldom borrow books from the library, although I do have a current card entitling me to do so. Only if I am fairly sure I won't like the book, and really, really want to try to read it will I borrow any more.

For some reason, they want me to return the books! Imagine that!:p :eek:

When it comes to books I own, I could quote Mr. C. Heston, in that they have to be pried from my cold dead fingers. :D

manatherindrell said:
Just want you to know that I don't consider the libraries dead. At every library I have ever attended the librarian knew me by name and I have even maxed out my library card (31 books) and read them all in the three weeks. Now my problem is that the library is too small because I moved to a small town. The high schoool library has more books in it than the entire county library system. I am doing my best to make sure our small town library stays up and running and they are growing, just not fast enough for me.

As posted earlier, I very well familiar with your type of problem. Inter-library loan is a beautiful thing.:) It is for that(as well as other) reasons why the wife and I will probably move to a larger town by summer time.

I am going to join the local library now.

I borrow books from my university library but always forget to return them... and get fines. For some reason, most of the fiction books are on One Week Loan at the university library.

I perfer to buy my books over the library.... My wife and I enjoy reading and she has a pretty big collection of books so far and we are building a collection so we can pass on to our daughter... and hope that she can do the same... Time is short but if we can pass on a good book so family and enjoy them then it is worth buying them...

Just easier and I can reread it the books if I own them a lot easy...

I don't think I've purchased a new book, except as a gift to someone else, in 10 years. I borrow from the library about twice a month. When I do buy, it's used books either from the library's store or the thrift stores.

If I bought new books, at the rate I go, I'd be living under a bridge.

Back