• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's your earliest memory?

Manny Bullpucky

What's your earliest memory of reading? I actually remember a little bit about learning to read. The first word I read was CAT. I remember that readig came easily and naturally for me. I also remember reading Curious George over and over again because we couldn't afford new books.

The earliest book I can remember reading was Rupert Bear annual. Of course comics were an incentive to read at an early age. The Rover, The Wizard, etc and I was fond of the Eagle.
I'm sure Harry Potter has encouraged lots of children to pick up a book these days. But I don't believe kids read half as much as we used to.
I was an avid reader of William Brown by Richmald Crompton and still have 16 William books, and I still enjoy reading them.
Alan.

All of my earliest book memories involve favorite adults from my childhood. My parents bought me Golden Books or Elf Books every time we went to the grocery store, then took turns reading them to me. When I was about 4, our neighbors(my folks and aunt and uncle fished and played cards with them) gave me a pile of old textbooks their kids no longer needed. I still have one of them. We went to lots of garage sales on weekends, and one thing I could always count on getting if I asked for, was a book or stack of comics, or even magazines. I don't remember my parents reading for themselves that much..just magazines and the farmer's almanac, but they certainly encouraged me to read and enjoy books.

My earliest book memory is this children's book about a couple animals who buy candy from a shop run by a bee. I remember the pictures looked good enough to eat!

My earliest non-book related memory is my grandma taking me for a walk to the mall in Toronto. I was just old enough that I could walk on my own, but not strong enough to do it for long. I kept asking her to take me out of the stroller and then put me back in a few steps later. I used to drive her crazy!

i WAS IN FIRST CLASS AND IT WAS THE CAT IN THE HAT SERIES .
AND :sad:A SAD LOOKING BOOK THE OLDLADY AND THE MIDNIGHT CAT

I actually remember the old "See Dick. See Jane. Dick and Jane are friends."

I learned how to read with those books. I also learned English at the same time. I came to the US at age 6 and entered the 1st grade speaking only German. Thank God for Dick and Jane. I can't say it was a inspiration toward literature but literature was out until I actually spoke the language. I was also speaking Spanish in the first grade for awhile. The teachers were told that I was foreign and didn't speak English. They assumed I spoke Spanish and started speaking to me in Spanish too. :lol:

Thank you Dick and Jane. And Diego and Juanita. :)

early memory..

when i was around 3 or 4 years old i remembered my dad use to read me a book the little prince..

i really love the book and the drawings so i ask my dad to read it to me over and over again till i get to sleep..

until now i still have the book and reading it to my son every night..:)

Back