• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's your favorite movie scene?

Donnie Darko: The first scene at the school where we see some of the characters for the first time and Head over heels by Tears for Fears is being played.

Amelie: Where her mother put the fish into the stream, it starts raining and the fish looks up at Amelie.

Dog's heart.
When some kind of house menegment (in russian дом. управление, i don't know english equal), get into the house of professor Preobrajensky to take possession, one of 8 rooms which occupied by him; operating room, library ... etc
He makes, one call, and they thrown out as chikens. Then following my favorite talk.
One of the HM, trying to sell some kind of journal. "Take this book and you'll help to german's children"
"I don't want" answering him
"But why? You do not sympathize germen children?"
"NO ... I sympathize them very hard" said professor quietly.
"Ohh ... Understood. Haven't money to pay?" skepticaly asked one of HM
"No .. I have money to pay." Quietly, as always, answered professor.
"You know professor ... You should be arrested." Know beyond doubt, that he couldn't harm him said HM.
"Why?" astonished professor
"You don't like Communist Party"
"Yes, I don't" with regret said Professor.

My favorite movie scenes.

I don't actually put them in any order!

WARNING SPOILERS

Blade Runner - actually the entire a movie is a highlight of great direction and cinematography, but i also absolutely love the end monologue of Roy Batty at the end, it always gives me shivers down my spine!

Memento - the opening sequence, a unique, brilliant and amazing opening to this wonderful masterpiece!

Delicatessen - the sex sequence and the "effects" it has on all the other people in the building; the bed spring seuqence when he wants to repair the bed and actually the entire movie is one brilliant scene after the other, a perfect movie!

Groundhog Day - When Phil constantly tries to kill himself; when he memorizes every detail of Rita and always gets a slap in the face at the end and tons of other hilarious and amazing scenes!

Taxi Driver - After the shootout, when the cops enter the room, Travis slowly forms his hand to gun, points it at his head and "shoots" three times, extremely powerful scene!

Gladiator - when Maximus first reveals his identity to Commodus, who thought he was dead, in the huge Colosseum, i absolutely love this scene!

The Thin Red Line - again i could say that this movie is a showcase of brilliant direction and cinematography, but especially the last shot of this film stands out as one of the most amazing final shots in any film i have ever seen!

The Godfather - the opening wedding sequence and the meeting of the gangster bosses, two highlights of this film!

Koyaanisqatsi - again the entire movie, some of my favorite scenes: the sky and clouds that melt and float like water over huge mountains; the shot of a beach with people sunbathing, the camera pans slowly to the left and it reveals a huge industry complex right behind the beach; the opening sequence with this meditative like chanting combined with beautiful landscape shots; ....... !

Dances with Wolves - the shot when the Indians leave Dunbar one evening, with the settling Sun in the background; the dancing sequence; the hunting sequence; the last scenes, when Dunbar leaves the winter place of his friends; and many other scenes and sequences!

There are tons of other wonderful scenes and sequences i can't recall right now or just would take too much time to list all of them ;)

:rolleyes: I guess Sky Captain isn't for everyone. Too bad you missed a great laugh at the end of the movie. As much as I love the beauty of the 40s film noir sci-fi aspects of the movie, what really made it all work was the chemistry of Paltrow and Law, epitomized by the final line: "Lens cap?" No matter how good the special effects, the acting and dialog of those two SOLD me the ticket to suspend my belief and enjoy.

And Shaun of the Dead probably isn't for everyone either, but the scene near the end, when they've escaped one more time to the cellar, and contemplating using the last bullets ... Shaun says that amazing line that turns the movie into a great romantic moment in such a touching and funny way. That is a great scene!

TOO many scenes to consider! Some of mine:

CINEMA PARADISO- The last scene, when the main character plays the film reel that Alfredo left him. Especially effective with the Morricone soundtrack.

ANNIE HALL- when she calls Woody Allen in the middle of the night to come over to kill a spider in the bathroom. ("That thing`s the size of a BUICK!") Also, the part where they`re waiting in line to see a film, and Marshall Macluhan makes a cameo appearance!

APOCALYPSE NOW- The napalm scene, set to "The Cry of the Valkyries".

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA- the desert scenes, set to the score by Maurice Jarre. They really have to be on a big-screen though.

THIS IS SPINAL TAP- "This one goes to eleven"

NEVER CRY WOLF- The scene where Tyler eats the mice!

BREAKING AWAY- the finale of the "Little 500" bicycle race. A similar scene as in most sports movies, but far better done than most. HOOSIERS was really good in a similar vein, but with basketball.

CITY LIGHTS- One of Chaplin`s best! Probably one of the best scenes in cinema, at the very end, when the flower girl takes his hand. Really simple scene, but quite emotional! I think it took like 100 or 150 takes before he was happy with it.

EASY RIDER- When Jack Nicholson gets stoned for the first time, at the campfire, and begins expounding on UFOs and Venusians.

SEVEN SAMURAI- Any scene with Toshiro Mifune in it! :)

National Treasure - when the spys and the main character (forgot his name at the moment) are all grouping around the evil dudes at the end by the ocean, and there are little boy scouts roaming around with red scarves and the main character dude says to the head spy : " Your spys better be small in tan outfits and little red scarves" . Or something like that. For some reason my friend and i cracked up at that and it's not even funny.

Favorite movie scenes

The first one that comes to mind is the
1) staircase rape scene in GONE WITH THE WIND when Rhett sweeps Scarlet into his arms and takes her upstairs as she fights with him

2) when Sophie gets off the train with her children and is forced to choose which one will live and Meryl Streep stands there as they take her daughter away and she opens her mouth with a silent scream

3) in THE FRENCH LT'S WOMAN when Charles is walking with his fiance near the water and sees her standing too close to the edge of the stone pier and as he goes to "save" her he is stopped cold when he sees her face

4) John Travolta's dance scenes in SATURDAY NIGHTH FEVER

5) in THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP when he and his family visit his mother's refuge for young women and is eager to meet 'ROBERTA' about whom he has heard so much ... and when he sees her he realizes she is a man

6) I can't remember the name of the movie but when JAMES CAGNEY pushes the half grapefruit into his girlfriend's face ... what a shocking scene in its time

Oh gosh like another poster said, I am sure if we think on it we can come up with a zillion scenes ...

Here are my favorites:

In Sideways - when Miles has just received the news about his book and begins his speech of "I'm so insignificant I can't even kill myself". It's so adorable - I can't find another word to describe it.

There Will Be Blood - the end scene makes it all worth while.

Magnolia (as long as I brought up PT Anderson...) - any scene with William H. Macy, and of course when he's drunk at the bar.

Reservoir Dogs - when Mr. Blonde comes in with the cop in his trunk.

And I really can't help this....while I didn't thoroughly enjoy The Dark Knight, I did find the scene with the Joker in his nurse outfit quite amusing.

When it first starts to rain when the orks are marching on Helm's Deep in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

The scene where Danny is riding his big wheel through the halls of the Overlook Hotel and comes upon the dead twins in The Shining. There are so many excellent scenes in that movie, but that one really sticks in my mind.

The sword fight between Westley and Indigo in The Princess Bride. The dialogue is fantastic, especially the following:
Indigo: Who are you?
Westley: No one of consequence.
Indigo: I must know.
Westly: Get used to disappointment.

When the police enter the room where Hannibal Lechter was caged and find the officer hanging from the cage with wings in The Silence of the Lambs.

Just about any scene in The Holy Grail, however, for some reason the following dialogue cracks me up the most:
King Arthur: I am, and this is my trusty servant Patsy. We have ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights who will join me in my court at Camelot. I must speak with your lord and master.
1st soldier: What? Ridden on a horse?
King Arthur: Yes!
1st soldier: You're using coconuts!
King Arthur: What?
1st soldier: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together.
King Arthur: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, through...
1st soldier: Where'd you get the coconuts?
King Arthur: We found them.
1st soldier: Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical!
King Arthur: What do you mean?
1st soldier: Well, this is a temperate zone
King Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
1st soldier: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
King Arthur: Not at all. They could be carried.
1st soldier: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
King Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!
1st soldier: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

How could I forget the coconut scene! I love the knight scene as well. "It's just a flesh wound!" makes me laugh every time.

In the Korean movie Tae Guk Gi (The Brotherhood of War), when the younger brother (now an old man) pulls out the shoes that his brother made for him to take to school.

From Lonesome Dove, when Gus sees Clara again for the first time in 16 years. The music is swelling to a crescendo and as Clara steps out onto the porch, Gus says, "Well, pretty as ever," and then sweeps her up into a passionate embrace. Great scene.

Mine is from Lonesome Dove. A scene in which Gus sees Clara again for the first time in sixteen years. She steps out of the house onto the porch, and Gus says, "Well, pretty as ever."

I've always wanted someone to say that to me.

Back